💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Can Katy Perry surpass Taylor Swift, critically and commercially?

Bradley

Who do you think will be remembered more favourably with her new era?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Title

Featured Posts

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CataleyaDeters

the level of pettyness here always suprises me :D goodbye gagadaily ... 

OT:  I don´t think katy can have a huge hit unless she serves some true pop bops like teenage dream (her best single I think) and unless taylor makes a really shitty album i don´t see it to get less criticall acclaim or less cormercially ... BUt who cares?  On the grammy discussion ... It´s a popularity contest and some music critics elite darling contest but also mostly white old men who decide what is good music soo I am not that surprised that for example beyonce never won  album of the year and that mackelmore won over kendrick and that taylor, adele and ed (he only kinda?) are favorites ... 

Cataleya Deters

sipthistea
2 hours ago, holy scheisse said:

So Tay Tay isn't a musician or songwriter? Reality check. :interestinga: 

Where did I say that? 

StrawberryBlond

If this is a more mature outing for her then Katy could stand a chance of having her highest critical release to date. But she'll be lucky to outperform Taylor, who has always had great critical reception, never a low moment. When the critics love you that much, they rarely break their loyalty. And commercially? While this may be one of Taylor's weakest commercial outputs if ME is anything to go by, she'll still do better than Katy overall as she had the previous success of Reputation to propel this era. Katy on the other hand, has nothing to fall back on as Witness flopped and an attempt at a comeback is usually to lesser effect than someone who's working off previous success. Plus, Taylor can still sell out stadiums and these days, Katy's struggling to sell out arenas. If rumour was true, not a single date on her Witness tour was sold out. That suggests that fans are leaving in droves and that can be hard to win back. If this doesn't work out for her, she'll have had two back-to-back flops and I think it'll be safe to say that Katy was a flash in the pan. It's not uncommon either. Not every big name can stay a big name forever. People now just have different standards for some reason and think some artists will always be around but it's a fickle industry.

Candy Gaga
8 hours ago, RoverLoader said:

Out of interest, which actually sold more? Joanne or Witness?

Joanne sold 2.5M copies and it wasn't updated for months. Witness just hit 1M copies last week and Million Reasons outsold all singles from Witness combined. Let's not start about the eras themselves cause it's obvious which was bigger.

illySpencer
6 minutes ago, Candy Gaga said:

Joanne sold 2.5M copies and it wasn't updated for months. Witness just hit 1M copies last week and Million Reasons outsold all singles from Witness combined. Let's not start about the eras themselves cause it's obvious which was bigger.

Wrong. Witness is over 2 millions sold now. And just hit 1 millions copies in the USA, not WW. 

Candy Gaga
6 hours ago, RoverLoader said:

I'm sure she would, but that's not really the point I was making. She'd want one too look good in her "club". All I'm saying is that for me it makes ZERO difference whether an artist has one or not, I find them utterly irrelevant, they don't necessarily equate to good or memorable music and I don't get why it's such a big thing. I often see people here commentating like I hope such and such wins a grammy or "x" artist has won 5 grammies - like that means anything? It very much is fanbases too.

Literally the only benefit to winning one is you potentially get showcased on the night , thus possibly driving up sales. But as for making me actually go out and buy an album, because it won best harmonica harmony, well...no, not really.

Each career in the world has it's highest form of reward and the Grammys are that in music. Winning a Grammy for an artist  is being validated by the best critics and musicians in the music industry. 

Candy Gaga
3 minutes ago, illySpencer said:

Wrong. Witness is over 2 millions sold now. And just hit 1 millions copies in the USA, not WW. 

Chart Matser count WW sales not sales in the US. WW sales of Witness are 1M copies she didn't sell even 500K in the US.

diamondheartxx

Never really over sounds like a migraine, but i think it'd be fun to see the reactions if it ended up outpeaking Me

diamondheartxx
4 hours ago, RoverLoader said:

Which just shows you that when it comes to music, critical acclaim and reviews means nothing. I mean , I'm not even a Katy fan but Teenage Dream at 52? WIth HIT after HIT? All those great pop songs?? The only time I will listen to critics is Games and possible movies. I will never pay attention to them regarding music. Ever.

Well, albums aren't just about making hits. They aren't playlists, they're supposed to be a cohesive body of work. That's why Fame Monster has a 78.

holy scheisse
1 hour ago, sipthistea said:

Where did I say that? 

Well you didn't, but the debate of the thread is whether Taylor or Katy is more acclaimed and your reasoning for team Katy is that she is a musician and songwriter, whilest implying Taylor is just a snake. Very original Kim, she's a BUTTERFLY now haven't you heard :sis:

Biden Harris 2024

I think that both of their careers have arced and now on the way down of their initial career plateau. They both have to figure out a way to mature and bring along a more adult audience. Katy probably has a bigger hurdle to get over since there was definitely a huge disconnect after CTTR. Bon Appetit tanked her career. Stylistically it missed badly and Swish Swish definitely didn't help. Katy and rap was a disaster.

thewho

no. 

Taylor has a much, MUCH bigger market. I absolutely love Katy but I literally dont know anyone on the Katy train at the moment other than American Idol fans. 

Pray4FameGa
12 hours ago, Aquarius said:

The critics will always be on taylor's side, no matter what she puts out

They loathe katy for some reason, probably cos she's too goofy and bubblegum pop

Commercially, katy's been doing terribly so don't think that's gonna change anytime soon unless the GP accepts NRO as her comeback

I’m sorry but Taylor’s talent and songwriting skills are so beyond Katy, that’s why she’s more acclaimed.

Also when Katy started flopping hard it wasn’t because of any other reason than her music starting to really suck, as well as her weird “off” attitude and composure. Swish Swish and most of Witness was awful.

Taylor gets so much hate but 1989 is seriously one of the best pop records of all time. It’s timeless, I’ll be playing it until I die. I can’t say the same for any of KP’s music.

Katy relies on her gimmicks and producers, Taylor relies on her raw songwriting ability and her lyrics and style. I just think this is one thing the critics got right, and why TS has so many Grammys.

Archived