My Straight Friends: "Gaga Will Be Bigger Than Madonna in the End"

The13thNote

Featured Posts

The13thNote

I like Billy. 

I like Ava. 

I like Kim. 

I like Zara. 

But none of them are as big or have the immediate sensation and impact that Gaga had. 

Only a few reach that kind of clout level. Madonna, Whitney, Mariah, Beyonce, Britney, maybe Christina, and in a small dose Katy, Rihanna, Kesha, Taylor, and Miley have had it. Ariana kind of has it now too (in amore relaxed way). 

There still isnt a big (record breaking) breakout yet. She is coming. And when she does you will know. But she has not yet. 

Billie could become that more but she has to have bigger moments, controversy, a more cohesive message, and her songs need to be a little more ear-wormy.

I only think you can understand this if you've been a Gaga stan truly since day one. Her success from 2008-2012 has been unmatched. No one since Gaga has had that level of clout. I would say that the only breakout female to step into that level recently has been Cardi, and she still really doesn't have the level Gaga had. 

At one point, Gaga's leaked promo demos trended at #1 on twitter for days, her monstervision videos garnered more views than major music videos, and literally every rockstar/popstar/hip hop artist interview had her name brought up in it. It was to the point in 2013 that people had enough of Gaga because she was everywhere. 

And in many ways she still is. Again. I heard something I never thought I'd hear yesterday: all the straight guys in my apartment building were outside in the common area and alot of them are 35-45. And we were talking about who the biggest artists are now and such...and they all without batting an eye said Lady Gaga is bigger than Madonna ever was and we just dont realize it because we are younger. They said Madonna was always big but like Rihanna and consistent. They said that Gaga reminds them more of Michael Jackson because the success just gets bigger and bigger everytime and the fact that they are weird or seen that way fuels this idea that she should fail but she finds a way to get more massive worldwide every era. And they said thats more like MJ than Madonna. And they actually even said it worried them because they think Gaga will have some sort of collapse at one point because she is getting so big like Michael did that people will never treat her normal again...like it could be dangerous having success after success after success like that. Not because Gaga is bad but because she will be kind of idolized and so untouchable that people will fear her and isolate her. 

Idk...was interesting to see olde straight men say this. And they also said our generation is so trend focused now we dont even realize who our icons are yet. But Gaga is the biggest and Taylor and Adele might have big sales but people arent fascinated with their "star" as much as Gaga's. 

My friend Zack said a good allegory: He said "you know how in all the stores you can get Led Zeppellin, Pink Floyd, Prince, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Queen, ACDC, ect music tee-shirts and they put them out there because even though they are past their hey day they know those shirts will always be cool and always sell?

In 2050 Gaga will be one of those people on those shirts that kids still wear to school because she will be seen as classic, always cool, always a legend. But the Biebers, Taylor Swifts, Adeles, Katy Perrys, and Arianas of the world...that wont be cool to wear on a t-shirt. Those artists are very "now" but they wont have that leverage or clout or "intrinsic impact" that Gaga just has."

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
funkyhaus

I can see Gaga’s mental health impacting her in the future for sure

Ally Campana

I’m scared for her though. But slay I guess

Does it matter? Damage is done

The13thNote
5 minutes ago, Faysalaaa said:

I disagree, its very rare that someone can maintain a career and stay relevant for this long.

Well she is over a decade into her career and poised to have another massive album next so....:oops:

RoverLoader

"Lady Gaga is bigger than Madonna ever was and we just dont realize it because we are younger."

I'm sorry, this simply isn't true. It just isn't. I love Gaga, but there was nothing like the sheer impact of Madonna in the 80's. You have to remember this was a time before the internet and social media. People bought singles in physical formats lol. Madonna was such a cultural phenomenon. It wasn't just the music but the image. Women everywhere were dressing up like Madonna, doing their hair like her. Men all wanted to **** her. This has never really happened with gaga.

Then there was the impact of her videos and controversies. The Like a prayer video and Justify my love. There is nothing in gaga's back catalogue that touches on the firestorm that these videos created in popular culture. That's not because of Gaga, but because of the changing times.

Madonna's support for Gay men in an era where AIDS was seen as the "gay disease" and men were dying in 2 years of diagnoses. Her battles with the Catholic church. You cannot imagine how controversial this was back in the day if you didn't witness it. I did.

Let me be clear; Lady gaga is an immense talent and yes when she hit the scene, she was everywhere. But it was totally different to how Madonna defined a decade of pop music. Heck, before ASIB we were all worried Gaga would never hit the top ten again. At this stage in career Madonna came out with the immaculate collection. Now that streams are the major force in how we consume music, I don't see a path for anyone approaching what Madonna achieved. Social Media has made our music icons too approachable and the mystique of the stars from the 80's doesn't exist today.

LeJudas

I would totally love for Gaga to become hugely successful like MJ.

She would probably be better off considering all the support and acknowledgement there is for women and a more educated opinion on celebrities and their personal lives and mental health. 

I would say that MJ wasn't cared about underneath the success and he was used and abused in every way possible by media, consumers, and tabloids etc.etc...

We could definitely make Gaga reach that level while also making sure we try our hardest to ensure her happiness and that she's treated well by monsters and the public, but it could/will be a challenge to fight all the opposing factors.

1 minute ago, The13thNote said:

Well she is over a decade into her career and poised to have another massive album next so....:oops:

She barely made it through the decade and I dont think her next album will be a huge hit. She still has 30 years to go do you think she will still be as big as Madonna today? 

KatieJudasGaga4

I feel like at the end, Gaga would be more acclaimed than Madonna.

The13thNote
1 minute ago, RoverLoader said:

"Lady Gaga is bigger than Madonna ever was and we just dont realize it because we are younger."

I'm sorry, this simply isn't true. It just isn't. I love Gaga, but there was nothing like the sheer impact of Madonna in the 80's. You have to remember this was a time before the internet and social media. People bought singles in physical formats lol. Madonna was such a cultural phenomenon. It wasn't just the music but the image. Women everywhere were dressing up like Madonna, doing their hair like her. Men all wanted to **** her. This has never really happened with gaga.

Then there was the impact of her videos and controversies. The Like a prayer video and Justify my love. There is nothing in gaga's back catalogue that touches on the firestorm that these videos created in popular culture. That's not because of Gaga, but because of the changing times.

Let me be clear; Lady gaga is an immense talent and yes when she hit the scene, she was everywhere. But it was totally different to how Madonna defined a decade of pop music. Heck, before ASIB we were all worried Gaga would never hit the top ten again. At this stage in career Madonna came out with the immaculate collection. Now that streams are the major force in how we consume music, I don't see a path for anyone approaching what Madonna achieved. Social Media has made our music icons too approachable and the mystique of the stars from the 80's doesn't exist today.

Hmmmm....actually alot of people said Cyndi really was the artistic force and Madonna was seen as being the commercial version of her (at first). Ive heard alot of people say that Like A Virgin was even specifically made to be a "female MJ" sound. 

Madonna didnt really take the reigns herself until Like a Prayer. Im not discrediting her....but I just think Madonna is seen as a business woman and Gaga is seen as an artist and for that reason Gaga will be taken far more serious than Madonna was. 

And saying people didnt dress like Gaga? Have you lived in the 2010s? 

Gaga set the tone for this decade. Look at the 2000s. Look at the 2010s. The changeup in style specifically happened post-Gaga. 

We went from Abercrombie to H&M. 

From Hillary Duff to Millie Bobby Brown. 

From Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants to 13 Reasons Why. 

From the celebration of fitting in to the celebration of being different. 

Gaga's fashion and social impact bleeds throughout pop culture in more ways than we even realize. And the early "woke pop/electronic/fashion sense/mental health/social media savvy" age we live in were all things she was an OG in igniting at the start of the decade. 

monsterdino

hmm I wouldn't say so...maybe Gaga will have the bigger legacy in terms of things she has achieved for herself, while Madonna has a bigger legacy on things that she changed for the society, pop culture, women rights, gay rights (gaga did this as well) and other things

I think it just depends on the future in terms of what Gaga is gonna achieve/do

The13thNote
7 minutes ago, Faysalaaa said:

She barely made it through the decade and I dont think her next album will be a huge hit. She still has 30 years to go do you think she will still be as big as Madonna today? 

Gaga did not "barely make it through the decade". 

Are you even a fan? 

She has been consistently succesful in every arena she has played in. Just because she had a commercial dip at one point (which is no longer true now) doesnt mean she was scraping by. 

She has had a major career/iconic moment almost every year since her inception outside of 2013/2014. And she has achieved awards in her non commercial phases that Beyonce and Madonna and Britney and Mariah and even Whitney could only dream of. 

She is the only female artist ever in American history sitting with a Golden Globe, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a #1 hit in one year. 

Ally Campana

I think in the 80s and 90s, since we have lots of legends that were in the scene like Madonna, Whitney, MJ, Mariah, Celine and lots of other successful acts at the time, they were all kind of in the spotlight with no particular person on top or rather dominating. But with Gaga in 2008-2012, no one could come close to the cultural phenomenon that she was. The sheer cultural impact that she had was massive and it was undoubtedly her imperial phase. I think that’s why her reign looked more massive than other stars and legends. But in comparing her to the likes of MJ and Madonna, I think she still has a long way to go to establish that status.

Ally Campana
14 minutes ago, Faysalaaa said:

Sorry but Madonna is not big today. She’s respected for her legacy but I wouldn’t call her ‘big’.

Archived