Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
politics

Biden to take moderate approach to climate change

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic presidential hopeful Joe Biden is crafting a climate change policy he hopes will appeal to both environmentalists and the blue-collar voters who elected Donald Trump, according to two sources, carving out a middle ground approach that will likely face heavy resistance from green activists.

The backbone of the policy will likely include re-joining the United States with the Paris Climate Agreement and preserving U.S. regulations on emissions and vehicle fuel efficiency that Trump has sought to undo, according to one of the sources, Heather Zichal, who is part of a team advising Biden on climate change. She previously advised President Barack Obama.

The second source, a former energy department official also advising Biden's campaign who asked not to be named, said the policy could also be supportive of nuclear energy and fossil fuel options like natural gas and carbon capture technology, which limit emissions from coal plants and other industrial facilities.

The approach, which has not been previously reported, will set Biden apart from many of his Democratic rivals for the White House who have embraced much tougher climate agendas, like the Green New Deal calling for an end to U.S. fossil fuels use within ten years. That could make Biden a target of environmental groups and youth activists ahead of next year’s primary elections.

More than half of the crowded field of Democratic contenders, including Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Beto O'Rourke, Cory Booker, Jay Inslee and Pete Buttigieg have backed the Green New Deal, and many have also called for a moratorium on drilling on federal land. 

Biden has yet to comment publicly on the Green New Deal, and has said little about climate change in his campaign stops.

Source: https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1SG18G?__twitter_impression=true

The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night
  • Sad 3

Morphine Prince

Joe Biden must NOT win the nomination. This should be a deal breaker for anyone who claims to be at least 1% progressive. 

I expected him to be moderate on many issues but this one is literally about the existence of stability in our society. Climate change won’t wait for your change. Humanity will suffer and your moderate approach will be a reason why. 

The friends I've had to bury, they keep me up at night
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Woolfsmck

I suppose 'green's policy would impact 'global' climate change if the US was in control of the entire globe...

Small steps to make the economy environmentally friendly  is the only logical approach...

Radical changes won't impact the overall climate anyway so extreme measures cause more damage than any beneficial effects they may have...

Biden is taking the right approach imo here.

like a cat in a sil, I observe life, moving and still. My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true
  • LMAO 1

ALGAYDO

Imagine being ignorant enough to support Biden. Can’t relate. 

Gummy Bear ➡️ NOT Marinara ➡️ HOMODRAKE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Like 4

OBEY

Too busy putting his hands where they should be, I guess :poot: 

Reginald

I HATE so much that these old corporate politicans are killing the planet, leaving the responsibility for  us to deal with.

These assholes will all be dead in 10 to 15 years while we have to deal with the consequences of a poisoned planet. 

I hate Joe Biden and every other moderate Democrat. He'll lose harder than Hillary did if the DNC coronates him as their candidate. :fthis: F*** him so hard.

Edited by Reginald
nihilist blues
  • Thanks 1

TheQueenLG

NO. I don't want Biden or Bernie. Give us the good sis Elizabeth Warren!!! She's clearly the best pick, she may even be more progressive than Bernie. 

HorusRa2
32 minutes ago, TheQueenLG said:

NO. I don't want Biden or Bernie. Give us the good sis Elizabeth Warren!!! She's clearly the best pick, she may even be more progressive than Bernie. 

You clearly haven’t looked closely to Elizabeth’s foreign policy record to make this statement. 

• Sad 1

Luc
3 minutes ago, HorusRa2 said:

You clearly haven’t looked closely to Elizabeth’s foreign policy record to make this statement. 

Tbh if being 'not progressive' on foreign policy means supporting NATO (unlike Bernie) than I'm all for that. On all other points as well: go Warren! Just sad that she would be least likely to win the actual presidency if she came that far.

Hope this approach of Biden is a dealbreaker for many. It's not that I'm against carbon capture, it just shows where your priorities lie: preserving the fossil fuel industry, not fighting climate change. It's an inefficient technique, comparable to 'fighting tobacco consumption' not by raising taxes on tobacco, but by curing the lung cancer people get, from public money.

• Like 1

Born To Slay
On 5/10/2019 at 1:21 PM, Woolfsmck said:

I suppose 'green's policy would impact 'global' climate change if the US was in control of the entire globe...

Small steps to make the economy environmentally friendly  is the only logical approach...

Radical changes won't impact the overall climate anyway so extreme measures cause more damage than any beneficial effects they may have...

Biden is taking the right approach imo here.

Bull.

1. The US is among the biggest carbon emitters in the world, going carbon neutral would of course be helpful

2. If the concern is other countries, then we the US should become aggressive in forcing nations to also adopt a green new deal and use all of our economic and military to ensure toner nations join us

3. A green new deal wouldn’t be bad for the economy, it’d create millions of jobs. Done right, it’d be a massive stimulus package with minimal negative effects on the economy.