Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Birth of Madame X

JusKeepBreathin

Featured Posts

JusKeepBreathin

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

TheBatman

That is so badass, Martha freakin Graham?!  I swear this woman was surrounded by the most amazing artists in her life, Keith Haring, Warhol, Basquait, studied under Martha Graham, she really is one of a kind.

The Madame X concept is just brilliant.

And the fact it all goes back to Martha Graham?! Unbelievable, this woman. :heart:

MaybeKermit

This is amazing. But I don't understand how come this story never inspired her before? 

BOMSHELL

I think this is going to be the most cohesive body of work from contemporary Madge, I stan

broad city crying GIF

androiduser

surprised about the Martha Graham story... wasn't Madonna the student of Pearl Lang, who was a colleague and contemporary of Martha Graham? I know M met Graham later on in life, but I've never heard of Graham being her teacher?

EDIT: I was wrong in the following part:

This is the first time any of this is being mentioned by anyone involved. None of the Madonna biographies ever mentioned M being a student of Graham, it was always Pearl Lang... maybe she met Martha Graham there and talked to her?

BOMSHELL
10 minutes ago, androiduser said:

surprised about the Martha Graham story... wasn't Madonna the student of Pearl Lang, who was a colleague and contemporary of Martha Graham? I know M met Graham later on in life, but I've never heard of Graham being her teacher? This is the first time any of this is being mentioned by anyone involved. None of the Madonna biographies ever mentioned M being a student of Graham, it was always Pearl Lang... maybe she met Martha Graham there and talked to her?

The plot thickens. Will madame x be a cop thriller book? We are not worthy :hor:

androiduser
1 minute ago, Anitta said:

The plot thickens. Will madame x be a cop thriller book? We are not worthy :hor:

from Martha Graham to licking Maluma's feet... sounds like sci fi

BOMSHELL
6 minutes ago, androiduser said:

from Martha Graham to licking Maluma's feet... sounds like sci fi

I love Madge but oh god did I gag at that scene...

VoldeLorde2

I love the Madame storyline. The song is really growing on me. I also liked the guitar(?) playing near the end so I hope that’s used in a song.

55 minutes ago, androiduser said:

surprised about the Martha Graham story... wasn't Madonna the student of Pearl Lang, who was a colleague and contemporary of Martha Graham? I know M met Graham later on in life, but I've never heard of Graham being her teacher? This is the first time any of this is being mentioned by anyone involved. None of the Madonna biographies ever mentioned M being a student of Graham, it was always Pearl Lang... maybe she met Martha Graham there and talked to her?

Madonna first mentioned meeting Graham in an 1994 edition of Haper's Bazaar, where she writes an essay about her beginnings as a dancer and pays homage to her. This one:

1994-madonna-harpers-bazaar.jpg

1132756662_madonnaharpersbazaarmay1994ma668416843_madonnaharpersbazaarmay1994mar

----------------------------------------------

Martha Graham then also wrote about Madonna being her student in her autobiography:

su4h.jpg

1ana.jpg

s3h4.jpg

Rough translation: Madonna was my student when she was young. At first, she arrived 2 hours earlier to see me enter. Once famous, she came back to pay me a visit. Everyone was terrified of what my reaction would be.
It was totally unjustified. I liked her very much. She's direct. She reaches her goals and she couldn't care less. She's a non-conformist. Yes, she's criticized. She's provocative and dares you to react. But she only shows on stage what most women hide; it's true, it's not too respectable. In 1980, a well intentioned finance guy seeked me and said: "Miss Graham, your best asset to find you subsidies is your respectability." I wanted to spit. Respectable! Show me one artist that wants to be respectable.

Later in life Graham was completely broke and was about to sell her jewellery for some cash till Madonna stepped in and helped: The New York Post spoke with Martha Graham’s heir, Ron Protas, who revealed that Madonna once bailed the dance legend out from having to sell pieces of her jewellery collection to stay afloat. Madonna’s rep Liz Rosenberg told Protas at the time, “Give it one day.” The next morning, Madonna’s office called – and Graham soon had a check for $150,000. “It was an extraordinarily generous gesture. Martha cried when she saw the check.

This is taken from this book: https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Hello_Goodbye_Hello.html?id=jVZoAAAAQBAJ&redir_esc=y 

This are the pieces of evidence I could find that trace Graham relationship with M.

androiduser
35 minutes ago, steel said:

This are the pieces of evidence I could find that trace Graham relationship with M.

Great, thanks!! this is an amazing piece of Madonna early history! Wish she talked about this more often, I would love some kind of a memoir, or at least a huge in depth interview about the early days.

Archived