💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

2009 Created The Blueprint For Pop Music As We Know It

Thotiana

Featured Posts

Thotiana

pop-artists-2009-.jpg

2009 was one of the most, if not the most, influential year for pop music this millennium. The genre reigned almost exclusively over the mainstream — a far cry from the hip-hop dominated charts of today — and it introduced us to artists who would go on to become the biggest artists of this generation. And it wasn’t just the big names that were cutting through: 2009 also saw alternative acts like Florence and the Machine arrive on the scene for the very first time.

In 2008 a star was literally born when Lady Gaga exploded onto the scene with singles ‘Just Dance’, ‘Poker Face’ and ‘Paparazzi’ — each track finding global success. By the end of the year, she had released ‘Bad Romance’, thereby solidifying her new position as the queen of pop. At the same time as Gaga was tottering on lobster heels, Taylor Swift crossed over into pop with ‘Love Story’ and Drake scored his first global hit with ‘Best I Ever Had’.

While the giants ruled, however, alt-pop was quietly penetrating the mainstream. The blogs and forums were promoting new music faster and more effectively while legal downloads and pirated music were making immediate access simple. It’s all sounding very British at the moment, and that’s because it was. British radio was the first to truly embrace the new pop sound and the artists that were creating it — such as Welsh act Marina and the Diamonds.

There’s one act we’ve left off until now purely because they deserved their own sub-heading. British duo La Roux were unlikely stars, who spoke down on mainstream pop while also infiltrating that very space they seemed to spurn. They openly admitted that Lady Gaga wasn’t really their “thing” and even publicly declared “F*ck” Kanye West” after working with him.

https://junkee.com/2009-pop-music/199510

Thotiana
1 hour ago, Thotiana said:

They openly admitted that Lady Gaga wasn’t really their “thing and even publicly declared “F*ck” Kanye West”

The year is 2019. Gaga finds a new peak in her career while her upcoming studio album is one of the most anticipated of the year. Kanye West is the most influential rapper today. And also has one of the most anticipated album coming this year. And La Roux? Well, let’s just say they weren’t

VoldeLorde2

I love reading about Gaga’s impact on, not only the music industry and pop culture but also, the world

Ryusei
3 minutes ago, Thotiana said:

The year is 2019. Gaga finds a new peak in her career while her upcoming studio album is one of the most anticipated of the year. Kanye West is the most influential rapper today. And also has one of the most anticipated album coming this year. And La Roux? Well, let’s just say they weren’t bulletproof.

:sharon:  ok

Musery

Thotiana
9 minutes ago, Ryusei said:

Do you mind explaining to all of us why Kanye is not the most or one of the most influential rappers today?

Ziggy
9 minutes ago, Ryusei said:

You don't have to like him to recognize his impact. I'll be the first to say that I like maybe one or two song from each album he releases, but he does set trends and move in the mainstream before other acts and they follow. He's got serious clout, artistically even though someone like Drake might be more commercially successful.

Thotiana
14 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

You don't have to like him to recognize his impact. I'll be the first to say that I like maybe one or two song from each album he releases, but he does set trends and move in the mainstream before other acts and they follow. He's got serious clout, artistically even though someone like Drake might be more commercially successful.

I’m not a huge fan of Kanye West but I’m well awared of his influence in music. From Drake to Jay Z, these are rappers that were inspired and also had huge help from Kanye West. Not only in music but fashion as well. But I want to hear what @Ryusei has to say about him tho.

devilrhino

I miss 2009-2013 so ****ing much for music. There was a new bop every single week by a major pop artist, unlike today were there is now a bop once every 3 months at best! When will we return to times like that again?

PunkTheFunk
1 hour ago, Thotiana said:

British duo La Roux were unlikely stars, who spoke down on mainstream pop while also infiltrating that very space they seemed to spurn. They openly admitted that Lady Gaga wasn’t really their “thing” 

And where is La Roux now?

Anyone?

giphy+%25287%2529.gif

tomdsgn

A random aside: Does anyone know when gold circles became a thing at tours? The first time I’d ever heard of the gold circle was at The Monster Ball, and entry was free for the first people in line. 

Then all of a sudden everyone had a gold circle they charged more for. It’s definitely the absolute best way to experience a concert. 

StrawberryBlond

It's very true. I honestly can't think many acts who became absolutely huge in the music business post-2009. Most either faded out after one album or never became a huge star to begin with. It's depressing, really. That's why it's amazing that Gaga has lasted this long, she's the last of dying breed of superstar. So many of the new artists just don't have that all-consuming power that pulls in a massive fanbase and it seems like most artists are one hit wonders now. Time will tell if Cardi B stays around but I don't have much hope for the other names around right now.

3 hours ago, Thotiana said:

There’s one act we’ve left off until now purely because they deserved their own sub-heading. British duo La Roux were unlikely stars, who spoke down on mainstream pop while also infiltrating that very space they seemed to spurn. They openly admitted that Lady Gaga wasn’t really their “thing” and even publicly declared “F*ck” Kanye West” after working with him.

I always thought that Elly Jackson had a bad attitude, right from the beginning. She was the classic unimpressed, "fight the system" 19-year-old that just started out in the business yet acted like she knew it all. She never seemed to smile and put down any mainstream, current act and had such a superiority complex. Considering that La Roux's music was mainstream, I really don't get where she was coming from. The duo split after just one album (most people thought she was a soloist anyway considering her name sounds solo and we never saw her producer partner) and she released her second album 5 years later and it flopped and now almost another 5 years have passed and there's no word on new music. Pride truly cometh before a fall. That's why I always say to be at the very least, neutral towards your fellow musicians, don't start off with a big ego and don't make grandoise statements when you've just started out. It rarely results in a long-lasting career. As they say "always be nice to everyone on your way to the top, as you'll meet them again on the way back down."

jaXXXon

1999: Britney Spears, Eminem, Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Lopez + others 

2009: Lady Gaga, Drake, Katy Perry, Kesha + others 

History likes to repeat itself. 

Earthling
4 hours ago, Thotiana said:

British duo La Roux were unlikely stars, who spoke down on mainstream pop while also infiltrating that very space they seemed to spurn. They openly admitted that Lady Gaga wasn’t really their “thing”

I love La Roux (mostly the debut album but Trouble in Paradise isn't awful) but didn't know they had this attitude. Strange because the musical boundries they were pushing were probably less innovative than Gaga's in 2009. Like rehashing 80's electronic pop (albeit well) isn't exactly that superior. Sounds like they just said that to be edgy.

Still want Elly to make a comeback though. :selena:

*she switched baristas. ☕️

martiniglistens

I love when other people share this opinion. This was my junior/senior year in high school and it was incredible to witness. The nostalgia these hits bring me today is intense. 

I do not think there has ever been another year like it in terms of pop music. The alt-pop scene was booming as well because we we weren't too far from a time when the main pop music was punk rock (03-05/06). Hip-hop/rap was less chilled trap beats, and more upbeat pop influenced. 

This was easily the best and most diverse year in pop music. I hope we have another pop renaissance like this sometime soon. 

Archived