Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Jordan Peele's "US" Discussion

KleinGa

Featured Posts

tthen

What a masterpiece. There were some unexplained plot holes and some aspects will be controversial, but I loved it. I'll definitely have to watch it again to see things I might've missed the first time around. The score and cinematography were incredible and the acting deserves an awards season sweep.

On 3/22/2019 at 5:47 AM, Angelina Jolie said:

How is Elisabeth Moss's performance? I wanna see it just for her

She was great and this was an uncharacteristic role for her, but she doesn't play a big role. Lupita is the one who kept everyone captivated the whole time.

On 3/22/2019 at 7:21 AM, MsSwan said:

Is there much gore? I’m seeing this tomorrow, I really liked Get Out. Nervous as f*ck for this. Is there any other movie you could compare it to “tone” “atomesphere” “feeling” wise if that makes sense? The Strangers? The trailer reminds me of that (but without spoilers) is there anything like it? I’m trying to prepare myself. :smh: Maybe if I convince myself it’s super scary it will help? Idk :toofunny:

Edit: My anxiety just spiked writing this :rip:

It isn't really scary, but it can get creepy and anxious. Really makes you think.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MsSwan
46 minutes ago, tthen said:

What a masterpiece. There were some unexplained plot holes and some aspects will be controversial, but I loved it. I'll definitely have to watch it again to see things I might've missed the first time around. The score and cinematography were incredible and the acting deserves an awards season sweep.

She was great and this was an uncharacteristic role for her, but she doesn't play a big role. Lupita is the one who kept everyone captivated the whole time.

It isn't really scary, but it can get creepy and anxious. Really makes you think.

Just watched it, loved it! Definitely a great balance of scares-laughs for me. I found Get Out scarier tbh. But I enjoyed this WAY more, much more replay value over Get Out in my opinion. 

Quasi

Just came back from it. I loved it. If I could I'd go back right now to watch it again. The movie kept me captivated to the point where the plot twist that in hindsight might easily be predicted, took me by surprise cause I was so engaged in everything else going on. The soundtrack is amazing, particularly in one fight scene that will forever be ingrained in my head, it was just so beautifully shot and edited. I also loved the set pieces, everything had a very dark, sinister aesthetic. Very pleasing to the eye. 

I can't wait to see what other horror concepts Jordan Peele comes up with. He's literally changing the game. 

I don't understand pineapples, so I don't eat bananas.

Lion Heart

I LOVED it. 

What made it even better was that the audience was so into it and we were all laughing along on the humorous parts, and I can tell people were left thinking and processing at the end of the movie. 

I will need another excuse to watch it again. Perhaps on Student Tuesday Discount day. :gaysia:

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Ghost Face

I never saw a film as bad as this one.  A big no go 4 me X

It's an honor.

RAMROD

The movie got B cinemascore, which is a regress for Peele.

For comparison, Get Out got A-

https://www.cinemascore.com/

CinemaScore is a market research firm based in Las Vegas. It surveys film audiences to rate their viewing experiences with letter grades, reports the results, and forecasts box office receipts based on the data since 1979.

Here's how to use it:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/8/13/17657264/cinemascore-rotten-tomatoes-audience-score-metacritic-imdb

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Not The Real Gaga

Great movie! Although it left me with many questions (mostly because of the plot holes).

tomsches

I watched it yesterday and I really liked it. It's not as good as Get Out, but that's because the message and social criticism of Get Out were clear by the end of the movie. This one is much more complicated and it takes some time to understand what he was trying to say. I've just watched several analyses and interpretations on Youtube and now I like the movie even more. The only problem is that there are many ways of interpreting it so for the viewer it can be confusing not having a "guide" that walks you through the message.

The problem that I had when I watched the movie were the other people in the hall. Like, Jordan Peele's movies aren't your regular teeny-trash horror movies. They are very deep and meaningful and require you to stay concentrated and focussed throughout the film and to actually switch on your brain and think. Unfortunately, there were so many teenagers and, frankly, DUMB people that were laughing and shouting the whole time. Like, "OMG I was literally like so totally scared right now, it's like so funny. Hey look at me everybody I'm laughing because I'm scared!" Bitch, if you think it's funny to be a dumb blonde cliché that pretends to be scared in every scene and pretends to scream out of fear and than laughs about how dumb you are, that ****ing movie is not for you, bitch! And I know the movie is supposed to have some funny moments as well, but when I watched it everybody laughed whenever the father said anything and I was wondering if everybody was laughing the whole time if the main characters were white... They were laughing and talking the whole time and that absolutely killed the atmosphere for me and it's such a pity because there are so many brilliantly scary scenes in the movie that I couldn't enjoy or experience because those dumb 15-year olds thought they were watching a comedy movie. I actually liked the comic relief that the movie provides but I feel like all those UNEDUCATED people thought they were watching a comedy movie because they aren't used to seeing a black main cast. 

Sorry for the rant, but this was the last time I watched a horror movie in a cinema. 

Anyway, I highly recommend you to watch this video:

tthen
2 hours ago, RAMROD said:

The movie got B cinemascore, which is a regress for Peele.

For comparison, Get Out got A-

https://www.cinemascore.com/

CinemaScore is a market research firm based in Las Vegas. It surveys film audiences to rate their viewing experiences with letter grades, reports the results, and forecasts box office receipts based on the data since 1979.

Here's how to use it:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/8/13/17657264/cinemascore-rotten-tomatoes-audience-score-metacritic-imdb

Not too surprising. The ending was more controversial and not as clear as Get Out's. I feel like this is a movie that gets better the more you watch it.

Harry

Watched it last night. Loved it - a lot to take in. Had a lot of questions at the end, so just like a lot of people have said here it's worth reading some analysis afterwards and maybe even going back to watch again. I feel like there are clues towards the twist that are littered through that we didn't pick up on during a first viewing.

Lupita is just stunning - imagine wrapping your head around a dual role as complicated like this? She's amazing.

Two hits in a row by Peele for me. Can't wait to see what he does next.

Ziggy

I agree with the initial Sundance reviews in that it is a very visceral film where Get Out was a cerebral one. That doesn’t mean that this one is dumb, but just that its core theme is easier to understand (as it’s a classic one) and isn’t as critical to the enjoyment of the movie. This movie works best if taken as less a deep piece of work and more in the elegance of its experience. It’s quite a bit “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”, but is done in such a manner that it stands out all its own. Personally, I enjoyed it more than Get Out which I found plainly funnier so I had a difficult time doing more than analyzing it while watching. This, to me, had some very good scares throughout and kept you guessing and trying to guess which I think is the hallmark of good horror— you are engaged.

Plot holes are there, but tbh I think while you’re watching it it doesn’t hinder the experience, just after when you’re thinking more on it. It also encourages rewatches which I like.

jujubaruda

I didn't like the movie, it felt more like a parody than horror, too much unnecessary jokes, specially from the dad. But I just realized something: the name of the movie in Brazil is "Nós", that means Us, but also can mean "knots", they are all tied together forming knots, united. Like the English name has the double meaning Us/US, the PT-BR one has a double meaning too. 

Lion Heart

Universal's release of Jordan Peele's Us dominated the domestic box office, not only out-performing the opening weekends for several recent horror hits, but delivering the second largest opening ever for a live-action, original picture, topping the weekend box office with over $70 million. As a result, the 2019 box office continues to improve over the month of March after struggling to begin the year. Overall, this weekend was the third straight to outperform the same weekend last year.

At #1, with an estimated $70.25 million (~49.6% of all tickets sold among the top 12 films), Us topped the weekend box office with the third largest opening of all-time for an R-rated horror film, blowing away 2018's The Nun ($53.8m opening) and placing behind Universal's own Halloween, which opened with $76.2 million last October. The film also decimated the opening for Peele's previous film Get Out, which was a massive hit back in 2017 following a $33.3 million debut. Get Out would go on to gross over $176 million domestically, ranking as the third largest horror film of all-time domestically.

Additionally, Us delivered the largest opening for an original, R-rated film, topping Universal's Ted ($54.4m) not to mention the largest opening for an original horror film, topping A Quiet Place ($50.2m). The performance comes with a "B" CinemaScore, which is a notch below the "A-" for Get Out, but is still a solid audience grade for a horror film. The overall opening weekend audience was split 50/50 among males and females and 53% of the overall audience was aged 25 or older.

Looking ahead at its domestic prospects, it's not easy to determine just how high Us will climb. While Get Outpushed over $176 million, Halloween finished its run with $159.3 million, though the latter was certainly a product of nostalgia and seasonal relevance. That said, one would expect Us to play closer to Get Out and push over $200 million, but how far over? On average, films that open anywhere from $65-75 million deliver a 3.36x multiplier, which would suggest a domestic performance around $236+ million, which seems like as good a bet as any right now.

Internationally, Us debuted in 47 markets and brought in an estimated $16.7 million led by a $3.67 million opening in the UK to go along with a $1.98 million France debut, $1.36 million in Germany and $1.17 million launch in Spain. Next weekend's key markets include openings in Korea, Russia and Australia followed by openings in Italy (Apr 4), Mexico (May 3) and finally Japan on August 23.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4497&p=.htm

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

TropicOfCANCER

It’s decent but extremely overhyped. The movie was okay, I was NOT wowed by this at all. 

Archived