💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

ARTPOP is NOT a FLOP

gumzy3000

Featured Posts

gumzy3000

So a few days ago, I was reading an article or thread and someone said that the Witness era was Katy's ARTPOP era and honestly, I am seeing people use ARTPOP a lot more now to symbolize a flop era and I am not here for it. :triggered:

ARTPOP was a #1 album, it had a top 10 hit, the performances were iconic (Applause at VMAs, ARTPOP on Tonight Show, Christina Agulera DWUW), the fashion, the EPIC launch party in Brooklyn was something no other Pop artist has ever done to such a big degree, and the drama and controversy surrounding Gaga was huge (this was obviously good and bad) and the ARTRAVE! 

With all that being said, this era was truly iconic in my opinion. Gaga was bound to collapse a bit, the standards and expectations held on to her post-BTW were so high and she really needed to come down or else she would have crashed and burned from pure exhaustion. The ARTPOP era could have been much worse but it wasn't. Yes, there was a lot of things promised that didn't end up happening but there was also a ton of material and new things Gaga did. The era was huge for Gaga and it was necessary for her to go through. She literally came out stronger than ever due to the ARTPOP era and she is back to #1 now with critics, fans and the GP. I honestly do not think she would be here if it wasn't for ARTPOP.

Lady Gaga always goes against the current mainstream and while ARTPOP was an EDM album, which was the dominant genre at the time, it was very rebellious in nature and was a giant middle finger to the pop industry. Gaga is doing that again with the ASIB era, like who else would release a country, rock, pop album amidst mumble rap? No one but Gaga. If ARTPOP were to do better and Gaga made another pop album, the public just wouldn't be here for it because her standards of being crazy and shocking us were getting too high and bigger than her own persona. ARTPOP was the final massive outpouring of Gaga's weirdness. I definitely think she will come back with weird and quirky things but not to the extent ARTPOP was, that whole era was a whole other world. 

Final thing, I am not throwing shade but if Gaga's ARTPOP era was considered a flop, what does that make other female singers recently who have had way worse success? Again, not throwing shade but it's easy to see how big of a cultural figure Gaga is. Even her worst era was talked about and it still talked about in regards to whether it was a flop or not. In my case, I do not think so and I only think it made her stronger than ever before. :vegas:

giphy.gif

trolly troll troll

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gumzy3000
1 minute ago, swakby said:

*sees a thread title related to ARTPOP not flopping*

*member newly registered*

tenor.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=13218789

trolly troll troll

Smother Em Eh

I agree completely. Applause did well on the charts and like you said ended up being a top 10 hit, she held a big release party, give us some iconic performances, amazing Fashion etc. 

I mean Katy’s Witness Era hardly did any of that. ARTPOP really isn’t a flop, just not as successful as her other Eras. The Era was iconic, wild, crazy and creative and I’d like to see any other pop girl try to do what Gaga did in the AP Era. Cuz even in her worst Era, she is still talked about like you said and she still is ICONIC and revolutionary AF! 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

I can't believe we're holding Gaga credible for ARTPOP being the floppiest era of hers. If anything we should call all future flop era's of the artist's, their Witness era :laughga:

Woohoo

wbk since 2012 :coffee:

"I heard if you record Gaga snoring and play it backward it sounds like an act. 2 unreleased."

RAMROD

But that era also brought pain and reminds us of deceit. Gaga surely seems want to think it never happened.

rs_400x225-160127122045-mess.gif?fit=ins

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

AlexanderMagno

DzWw.gif

can we stop with the "ARTPOP was not a flop" discussions please

The success didn't match Gaga's expectations.

She is not a 20 yo pop star anymore, a change of style was the safest way to "explode into her 30s" and keep a stardom career.

ARTGOD

The problem with ARTPOP was how it tarnished her image. It made people tired of the Gaga brand.

At the beginning of the era she was still riding on BTW’s success, that’s why she was able to get a top 10 hit, but every subsequent single was less successful, until she truly flopped with G.U.Y.

ARTPOP was still pretty successful, but if she had continued in that direction for another album she would’ve truly bombed. She was right to change her image and course correct with Joanne and ASIB. Another larger than life pop record would’ve truly killed her career for good.

It’s similar to what happened with Erotica by Madonna, the album did worse than other Madonna albums at the time, but it was still pretty successful because of the controversy. The thing is that it damaged her image and good will and Madonna knew she had to course correct with Bedtime Stories.

Nuggets
12 minutes ago, Bio said:

FARTPOOP WAS NOT A FART :grr:

Hello! 2013 called, he wants his jokes back :messga:

Favorite McDonald's Snack

aura niko

I agree with this. ARTPOP was still really successful and gave us some of her most iconic outfits imo. Example: Venus Wig

xo, niko

TheSlash

I understand you and I agree, but I think this comparison comes from a different place. From my perspective it's not about the success of the album itself, but how the artist was received by the GP by the end of the era and how much relevance (in terms of news coverage, etc.) was left then. And in both cases nobody (GP-wise) cared about the artist (Gaga and Katy) anymore and were at one of the lowest points of their respective career.

We all know how Gaga cured herself after the ARTPOP era ended: She paused pop music for a bit and recorded a Jazz album with Tony, performed tributes and was one of the leading roles of a TV show (AHS). This kinda revived her public image and showed the GP that Gaga is more than just "gaga". All of this paved her way to where she is today.

Katy on the other hand did not much since the release of Witness ( that I know of :poot: ) and her non-album releases (365, this Christmas thing) were not really the definition of success :awkney: . So now it depends on how she will continue :lana: .

Ew, David!

Archived