Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Music that sounds like it came from a past era

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

This is going to be a long thread, so be prepared - it's spoilered for length of video links!

EDIT: added another few to the 1970's, 1980's and 1990's section that I weirdly missed when uploading!

EDIT: I've contained a list in written form a dozen or posts under this one, as it's making this page lag to load all these videos. It's easier to watch but not easier to read and load this way, so if you want a written list, refer to further down this page.

We've all heard a song that sounds like it came from another era and if we didn't know any better, it might have fooled us. I've heard more than a few of these lately and thought I'd best make a list chronicling them all because it's too good not to be put down in history. Bear in mind that my criteria is very strict - it has to legit sound like the song is from another era. For example, if a song is from the 50's, it can't contain any swearing, references to modern names or current audio techniques. You'd think not many have managed to create an old sound but you'd be surprised. I provide official music videos and if one isn't available, an official audio or lyric video, for easy viewing/listening. I've tried to list them in order of earliest sound of the decade to the most recent. With that in mind, step into my time machine!

1920's - 1930's

Music with vocals was in early stages and the rare stuff that did have vocals was maybe sang by flappers in late night clubs, to accompany a charleston. Hard sound to recreate, but...

Spoiler

Made in 1994:

Made in 1999 (more of something you'd hear in a shady speakeasy, but it still stands):

1940's

Music started to have rich quality to it and when women sang, it was all about feminine playfulness or ultimate class. As you can see here...

Spoiler

Made in 2010:

Made in 2010:

Made in 2006 (this one even has old audio production values):

Made in 1990:

Made in 2015:

Made in 2015:

Made in 2010:

1950's

The original retro era we think of. When rock n roll was born and the era of lovestruck girls singing heartfelt ballads to their beaus...

Spoiler

Made in 2013:

Made in 2011:

Made in 2009:

1960's

This is where the real fun really began, with rock n roll developing and elements of doo wop, while starting in the 40's, started entering the mainstream...

Spoiler

Made in 2009:

Made in 2009:

Made in 2012:

Made in 2014:

Made in 2006:

Made in 2015 (can't say for sure if the effect is too modern but it just edges it):

Made in 2010:

1970's

The era where artists started coming into their own and writing their own stuff, if they weren't already. Soul was at its peak, a harder style of rock took off and disco entered the equation...

Spoiler

Made in 2014:

Made in 2019:

Made in 1990 (is the rap too modern to count? Might just get away with it):

Made in 2016:

Made in 2018:

1980's

Every genre came into its own, from rock, to punk, to pop, to electronica and new audio techniques brought in new sound elements never heard before...

Spoiler

Made in 2012:

Made in 2012 (the version with Iggy Pop contains a modern reference to Rick Santorum):

Made in 2015 (I could've sworn this was Bryan Ferry):

Made in 2014:

Made in 2013:

Made in 2015:

Made in 2012:

Made in 2019 (there isa Young Money reference but apparently there is a solo version, so imagine it's the solo):

Made in 2010:

1990's

Rock was getting more female led, rap was going through its renaissance, RnB and alternative was having a moment and bubblegum pop was about to become a driving force...

Spoiler

Made in 2013 (would've been earlier had it not been for that vocal effect towards the end):

Made in 2008:

Made in 2014 (the title is a 2011 model of car but "aventador" isn't actually said in the song, so I think it's ok):

Made in 2012:

Made in 2016 (Cardi's verse added in 2018 - as for the Lil Jon reference, he started out in 1997):

Made in 2017 (strange that she made it 70's themed when it sounds very Alanis Morrisette/Fiona Apple):

Made in 2015:

Made in 2012:

2000's

The time period a lot of GGD has been pining for, this was the pop from a lot of our childhoods and don't forget the pop punk era too as well as a little thing called electro pop...

Spoiler

Made in 2012:

Made in 2016:

Made in 2019:

Made in 2013:

Made in 2018 (don't tell me this doesn't sound like something from 2008 Fame-era Gaga!):

So, what do you think? Did I get it spot on or do you think my timings were a bit off and some tracks sounded younger/older than I gave them credit for?

More importantly, does anyone want to add any I've missed?

Refer to my post further down this page for a written list of all these posted, if you're finding the page lags a lot with all the videos loading.

dynamite

Some songs from ASIB sound a bit... idk vintage in a way

And some of the poppy ones sound a little 90s meets the 2010s... WDYDT for example. Hair Body Face sounds like it's straight out of 2009.

V e n u s

Each era had a unique aesthetic.

I wonder what our era's significant aesthetic is.

I feel like we've become hyperaware of aesthetics that there's isn't a singular trend anymore. Everyone has their own thing going on.

Although it's kinda observable that hip hop culture is what's rampant.

Judas Society

As a pop music lover irregardless of time, this thread is a treasure for me. But mind if I comment on the 20s to 30s, music with vocals were not exactly that rare. The blues were around way before that but it wasn't popular or at the forefront of pop culture because it was music of black people, listen to Ma Rainey, Ethel Waters, Mamie Smith, Bessie Smith who influenced Billie Holliday who most of the GP would know. They all started back in 1920s when making records started booming.  

Judas Society
3 hours ago, dynamite said:

Some songs from ASIB sound a bit... idk vintage in a way

And some of the poppy ones sound a little 90s meets the 2010s... WDYDT for example. Hair Body Face sounds like it's straight out of 2009.

You're right, it's mostly folk songs which is prominent during the 60s to the 70s. But if I were to pick out one song that was very much in tune with the sounnds from a past era, it was Look What I Found. That song sounds right out of the Motown era in the 60s.

2 hours ago, Defmix100 said:

this sounds like it's from 2009

This chick shows up in every thread like

giphy.webp

...ıllıllı c h e r r y c h e r r y b o o m b o o m ıllıllı...

This this gives me 80’s Madge and 2009 Gags

And when I hear Please me by Cardi B I get SWV vibes

Also I get major 90’s R&B from Ari’s new music

Smother Em Eh

Well many songs on Katy’s Prism could easily fit on Teenage Dream if that counts. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

StrawberryBlond

Here's a written list of all my picks as I realised how much this page lags with all the videos to load. It's easier to listen to the songs but harder to actually access the page, so here's a comprehensive list of them:

1920's/1930's

Spoiler

Doop - Doop

Jill Tracy - Evil Night Together

1940's

Spoiler

Caro Emerald - Dr. Wanna Do

Caro Emerald - That Man

Christina Aguilera - I Got Trouble

Madonna - Sooner Or Later

Lana Del Rey - 24

Laura Mvula - You Work For Me

Janelle Monae - BaBopByeYa

1950's

Spoiler

Ariana Grande - Daydreamin'

Olly Murs - Dance With Me Tonight

Imelda May - Johnny Got A Boom Boom

1960's

Spoiler

Duffy - Mercy

VV Brown - Crying Blood

Stooshe - Black Heart

Paloma Faith - Trouble With My Baby

Amy Winehouse - Love Is A Losing Game

Meghan Trianor - What If I

Bruno Mars - Runaway Baby

1970's

Spoiler

Kelis - Friday Fish Fry

Kelsey Karter - Harry

Deee-Lite - Groove Is In The Heart

Lady Gaga - Sinner's Prayer

Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Diggin' My Grave

1980's

Spoiler

Lynard Skynard - Low Down Dirty

Kesha - Dirty Love (version with Iggy Pop has a slightly modern reference with Rick Santorum)

Brandon Flowers - Can't Deny My Love

WALK THE MOON - Shut Up And Dance

Natalia Kills - Outta Time

Carly Rae Jepsen - All That

Carly Rae Jepsen - Hurt So Good

Avril Lavigne feat. Nicki Minaj - Dumb Blonde (also available as solo version)

Gabriella Cilmi - On A Mission

1990's

Spoiler

Avril Lavigne feat. Marilyn Manson - Bad Girl

Katy Perry - One Of The Boys

Nicki MInaj - Four Door Aventador

Azealia Banks - Esta Noche

Bruno Murs feat. Cardi B - Finesse

Selena Gomez - Bad Liar

Little Mix - Black Magic

Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe

2000's

Spoiler

Carly Rae Jepsen - Turn Me Up

Meghan Trainor - NO

Busted - Shipwrecked In Atlantis

Ciara - Body Party

Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho

Thanks for reading!

18 hours ago, PunkTheFunk said:

Great songs! I would add these to the list:

1960s

Reveal hidden contents

Great picks, although I didn't pick Me And Mr Jones myself because I doubt an artist would have said "f**ery" in the 60's! Not saying some might have on the downtown scene but I'm unsure how modern that term is and if it did exist then, what its usage was like.

18 hours ago, Monster7 said:

Uptown Funk and the whole 24K Magic album by Bruno Mars is pure 90s RnB and funk

Bruno peppers a lot of his tracks with modern references, though, hence why I didn't pick Treasure to list. Uptown Funk could have been 70's if he hadn't put in stuff about hood girls and Michelle Pfeiffer.

16 hours ago, V e n u s said:

I feel like we've become hyperaware of aesthetics that there's isn't a singular trend anymore. Everyone has their own thing going on.

Trap music is probably the current era's aesthetic, for better or worse.

14 hours ago, Judas Society said:

As a pop music lover irregardless of time, this thread is a treasure for me. But mind if I comment on the 20s to 30s, music with vocals were not exactly that rare. The blues were around way before that but it wasn't popular or at the forefront of pop culture because it was music of black people, listen to Ma Rainey, Ethel Waters, Mamie Smith, Bessie Smith who influenced Billie Holliday who most of the GP would know. They all started back in 1920s when making records started booming.  

I know, it's just that there was a bigger focus on the actual production than the lyrics at that time. Music was literally instrumentals to listen to as background noise or to dance to, so lyrics weren't necessary. I did put in the inclusion of black artists in the 60's and 70's, though (I edited Kelis into the 70's one later) because the likes of Nina Simone had a sound back then that I was hearing on tracks from Laura Mvula and Janelle Monae. I also said that doowop was invented in the 40's but didn't actually go mainstream (when whites started doing it) in the 60's. Thanks for loving this thread!

14 hours ago, Twitter said:

Ariana Grande - bloodline 

reminds me 2003 Beyoncé DIL era

I'm afraid to say it sounds way too modern for that. Her enunciation on the bridge is like a current rap way of speaking. This style really wasn't evident in 00's urban music.

RAMROD

Y'all want old sounds? Here, I give you some:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

FentyGa
17 hours ago, V e n u s said:

Well the late 2010s will probably be known for the high pitched "whale sounds" (see: Lady Gaga- The Cure, Britney spears-Make Me..., Justin Bieber-Sorry), an almost glitch-pop production/soundscape (see: Ariana Grande-Thank u, next, Mariah Carey-GTFO, Rihanna-Work, Fifth Harmony-Work From Home) and the trap beat (see: Ariana Grande-buwygib, Lana Del Rey-Summer Bummer, Cardi B-Money)

Archived