opinion

An unpopular opinion about the "100 people" line

Guest Anisko

Featured Posts

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VOLANTIS

It might have started as a sincere line but yeah I think after the third utterance of it she knew a meme was born. :diane: 

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

2School4Cool

I can 100% understand what you’re saying, and it’s possible. I personally feel like she repeated it because those words perfectly defined how she felt and each time she said it was to a new group of people who probably hadn’t heard her say it before. It’s common for people to say the same thing multiple times during a press tour, but with the internet and meme culture it just happened to become a meme this time. I just hope she knows her fans don’t think she’s ingenuine. I mean, there could be 100 gaga fans in a room and 99 know she’s genuine, and there’s just one who thinks she’s not.

See The Best In Everyone

2 hours ago, Kimblue said:

Unpopular opinion: that line was never funny and everyone repeats the same answers at those press junkets. The only reason why it blew up was because Gaga has desperate attention seeking twitter stans that made avideo viral. Rami doesn’t have twitter stans to make a video over his cringe quotes he repeatily says.

This. 

LilyLark
3 hours ago, Angelm said:

Honestly, I think this and other similar things, hurt the movie campaing, out of all the things she could’ve said she chose to repeat this again and again, wich made the campaing weak and things could’ve gone different for the movie. Meme, funny, planned or not, this wasn’t that good of a move :derpga:

The thing is every actor repeats themselves in these press junkets. Rami is even worse, and Eddie Redmayne a few years back was....esh.  Gaga, as others pointed out on this thread, is the only ones with stans who make compilations of it and make it go viral.  In some ways, some (not all) of the stans on twitter aren't a good thing for any pop star even if they are just joking or playing around (see the drug blinds because some stans kept tweeting she must be coked up at the Grammys, even tho she was perfectly fine in the interviews, and those tweets went viral).

In a way, I think it did kind of help in general because it got a lot of PR for the film, when it was going up against Venom, and most of it was fairly good natured jokes about it.  But it probably did hurt her in the Best Actress race with some of the arty, pretentious folks, but not the film, because it reminded people that she was a pop star foremost and not a "serious" actress s/.  In the long run tho, she never was going to win (as much as I love her) against Glenn and Olivia.

But the campaigning in general for the film was not handled well, and ironically Gaga probably did the "best" job of the bunch even though she's a newbie.  And I don't blame that on her, I blame that on WB and Bradley (and Bradley is the one getting singled out far more for this in film and oscar twitter/articles).  Scott Feinberg had a pretty good write up of it. But in the long run, the campaigning itself is dumb and petty as f*ck because it should just be down to the performance/film, so I feel a little bad for Bradley.

Zander

But Gaga is known to be repetitive. One thing I always remember is early on in her career how she constantly wore the same things over and over again in slight variations to "burn the imagery into peoples minds" - she's also done this with things she said in promo before. My point being is I feel she intentionally likes to repeat certain things over and over again.

Tom Nook
12 minutes ago, XC1792 said:

One thing I always remember is early on in her career how she constantly wore the same things over and over again in slight variations to "burn the imagery into peoples minds"

3539be779e93e80f4a4a1dc8b247c838.jpg deca4e8f6532f9587673f0dea9f7cf69.jpg latest?cb=20100317232513 209520ba5e4e0fc672d2f2144188d374.jpg

Uh Red Wine... Convict... Gah Gah...

3 hours ago, Anisko said:

Such thing as "campaing" prove to me that award shows is FAKE .. So i really don't care about her winning any award.  She did great for her first movie and that's what matter 

Agreed. Awards shows are bullsh*t. Yeah, they've given Gaga a lot of awards in the past but they do that with new, fresh, young hot talent.  We all need to accept that. Who cares about "campaigns".. so tired of hearing about all this.

Diamond heart99

I can’t believe it bothers people. It’s what everyone does during a press junket for a movie.  

I’m blonde, I’m skinny, I’m rich and I’m a little bit of a bitch

LilyLark
50 minutes ago, Jakkusan said:

Agreed. Awards shows are bullsh*t. Yeah, they've given Gaga a lot of awards in the past but they do that with new, fresh, young hot talent.  We all need to accept that. Who cares about "campaigns".. so tired of hearing about all this.

I honestly think Bradley and Gaga might be a bit over it, too.  Hence Gaga being Gaga in all her glitter and old school ways at the Grammys, rather than playing it safe and conservative, and Bradley kind of going on a last minute push (that Indiewire article) but then quickly giving up. If they still wanted it badly, I think they would have been trying to get on last minute covers of Variety or doing a ton of last minute interviews like Richard E. Grant. Sam Elliot, for example, would have a chance if he went out hardcore. Apparently at the WGA the jokes were kind of harsh towards everyone, and one was something like "there can be a hundred star is born films, but Bradley thinks he is the only one to have made it"—which, ouch, but he didn't even seem to really fake play along like the other nominees.

I thought Alfonso Cuaron saying "it isn't fun anymore" (re: the awards circuit/campaigning) was very telling. Like I don't doubt they are proud of the film and that Sam, Bradley, and Gaga all still care about each other but I think they are ready for it all to be over at this point and just let the chips fall.

I think the 100 people line was a genuine synthesis of her experience but she didn't intend for it to be a meme. Her 'it's true!' at the Golden Globes supports that idea. However, if it weren't for that line becoming a meme, voters would've found something else to be bothered over because they think Gaga is an interloper. Every time Gaga showed up glam, pitch perfect, etc in contrast to, like, her at Enigma or those wild pics she posted right before Venice, she sorta exposed how performative everyone is during award season. But, as a fan, would you expect anything else from Gaga? Of course, they would've hated her if she showed up at every event like it was the Grammys, when she was in her natural environment. What's a girl to do? 

On 2/18/2019 at 7:02 PM, LilyLark said:

I honestly think Bradley and Gaga might be a bit over it, too.  Hence Gaga being Gaga in all her glitter and old school ways at the Grammys, rather than playing it safe and conservative, and Bradley kind of going on a last minute push (that Indiewire article) but then quickly giving up. If they still wanted it badly, I think they would have been trying to get on last minute covers of Variety or doing a ton of last minute interviews like Richard E. Grant. Sam Elliot, for example, would have a chance if he went out hardcore. Apparently at the WGA the jokes were kind of harsh towards everyone, and one was something like "there can be a hundred star is born films, but Bradley thinks he is the only one to have made it"—which, ouch, but he didn't even seem to really fake play along like the other nominees.

I thought Alfonso Cuaron saying "it isn't fun anymore" (re: the awards circuit/campaigning) was very telling. Like I don't doubt they are proud of the film and that Sam, Bradley, and Gaga all still care about each other but I think they are ready for it all to be over at this point and just let the chips fall.

The fact they even have to "campaign" is beyond ridiculous. When I was younger, I looked up to these award ceremonies as being unbiased and celebrating true artistry and talent. Now, it's like the veil has been pulled away and all I see is the bullsh*t. 

Glenn will win because she's old and has been nominated a million times (she's certainly talented enough, don't get me wrong), Cuaron will win because he's the most respected.. as long as Bohemian Crapsody doesn't win, i'll be OK (still shook at how well-received such a terribly written, cheesy Lifetime TV biopic has been so widely celebrated. It's all riding off Queen and Freddie's success and the GP's love for them, let's be real. It's not a "good" film..)

gypsy101
On 2/17/2019 at 10:15 PM, Angelm said:

Honestly, I think this and other similar things, hurt the movie campaing, out of all the things she could’ve said she chose to repeat this again and again, wich made the campaing weak and things could’ve gone different for the movie. Meme, funny, planned or not, this wasn’t that good of a move :derpga:

it’s spelled “campaign”

i don’t buy this theory for a second. why would she want many people to be making fun of her, it makes no sense.

On 2/18/2019 at 11:29 AM, Anisko said:

Such thing as "campaing" prove to me that award shows is FAKE .. So i really don't care about her winning any award.  She did great for her first movie and that's what matter 

I wouldn't say it's fake. You do campaign for awards season because there is just so much going on for your work to be actually noticed. Unless you provided for a stellar, unbelievable performance, you would have to LET them know your work for you to be nominated. It becomes fake when it becomes overdone or you bribe. But companies campaign, because voters don't have the time to watch all of it. They would watch movies that they know, that were spread by word of mouth, how actors promote their films or which films create buzz.

I think it's not a bad thing to campaign.

Archived