đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

New York Times: 20 Oscar Voter Spill Secrets

mpthecat

Featured Posts

LilyLark

I've been following this type of stuff for the past several years. Anne Hathaway also got dragged hard, more than Gaga, so Gaga's not the first person to deal with this and often candidates get brutally taken down. Most of the Oscar voters are petty and mean and often quite racist and sexist. I was kind of hoping they wouldn't do these anonymous ballots, because they are always messy and dramatic and mean and I knew the fans would hate it or go after Gaga. And Gaga is still the one winning, not Bradley—so no matter if her speeches annoy some people, it ain't the deciding factor. 

I do find her speeches to be over the top, but it's her personality and I don't think she should "change" herself just to please some people over something so minor in the long run.  And it does make me angry that some people get fed up over this, but let Rami slide with his Freddie Mercury is looking out for me bit whenever he is faced with criticism. 

But the truth is, she'd probably be getting dragged more for her speeches if it wasn't for people getting angry at Bradley. This is the first one where I've seen people single her out, most of the ire is directed at him and most of it is for equally petty sh*t. But if you follow film twitter and read THR, he's the one getting a lot of criticism for his interviews and how he campaigned.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LilyLark
1 hour ago, pedrohemg said:

I don't believe she'll lose BOS.That'sost impossible, BUT if that happens, Gaga can only blame herself. Her speeches are really annoying.

The problem is that this type of sh*t shouldn't have an influence, and moreover Rami's been far worse and more cringey with how he brings up Freddie Mercury every single d*mn moment. She shouldn't blame herself for voters not judging the material on the material, but how well they like candidates and the campaigning and so on.

But people are also saying Bradley is behind in Best Actor because of his NYT interview and how he did some of the press, and this type of petty shenanigans has gone on every single year for the Oscars. I remember one year where they loved JLaw, and the next year they were dragging her for not taking it seriously enough, her speeches, and more. 

Like these "anonymous" ballots are always petty sh*t and film twitter usually rips them apart, and I was kind of hoping they wouldn't do it this year.

LilyLark
1 minute ago, LateToCult said:

I remember when y’all were mad saying things like speeches meant nothing to voters. :ladyhaha:

I mean, she's still winning tho so while it bugs some it's obviously not that big of a factor for BOS. I know speeches matter (they shouldn't), at least when it comes to women because Rami should be getting dragged to hell for his invoking Freddie at every turn, but I don't think it will keep her from winning BOS even though I did worry about it in the beginning.

But yes, as someone who has followed this over the years they are petty AF.  I don't think Bradley's press/campaigning has been that poor, but if you read THR and follow film twitter people think it's part of the reason he's behind Rami for Best Actor—not talent, just that he sucks at campaigning and put some people off for Best Actor.

LilyLark
1 hour ago, Red said:

I knew her acting like Bradley Cooper was her lord and saviour would backlash

It's not that. It's the crying and the weeping in general that they generally drag. They hate when women cry and weep, and they hate when people are "too" jokey because they find it "performative" (not like they aren't a bunch of actors, anyway s/).  You have to look like you want it, but not want it too much. Bradley's got the reverse, in that they thought he didn't want it enough and now they think he looks desperate.

But this happens every single year where "anonymous" folks are messy, mean, petty and often racist and sexist towards nearly every nominee.  Like look at the way some of them have talked about Taraji, JLaw, and Anne for the worst examples of this mess or some of film twitter/THR today. Gaga's not being singled out, even if it looks particular in this long piece.

pedrohemg
54 minutes ago, Sanne Godijn said:

Thats the dumbest comment if ever seen

I don't care about your opinion. I barely access this site because of people like you that are always posting nice comments about everything Gaga does. That's not the real world honey. Grew up and express your own opinions. You guys always pretending to support everyone. Jesus, this is ****ing annoying and that's why this website is flopping.

giskardsb
5 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

I mean, she's still winning tho so while it bugs some it's obviously not that big of a factor for BOS. I know speeches matter (they shouldn't), at least when it comes to women because Rami should be getting dragged to hell for his invoking Freddie at every turn, but I don't think it will keep her from winning BOS even though I did worry about it in the beginning.

But yes, as someone who has followed this over the years they are petty AF.  I don't think Bradley's press/campaigning has been that poor, but if you read THR and follow film twitter people think it's part of the reason he's behind Rami for Best Actor—not talent, just that he sucks at campaigning and put some people off for Best Actor.

I have a feeling that Bradley has very mixed feelings all on the campaigning.   He's said he likes talking about the movie but not really the campaigning part.  I'm sure he just told Gaga to be herself and let the chips fall where they fall and not get too wrapped up in lobbying.

LilyLark
1 hour ago, SimplyTheBest said:

It's not all about the work, and it's been that way since forever. For example, Judy Garland losing for ASIB just because they did not like her and that Grace Kelly was making them a lot of money. Just check the "Be Kind Rewind" youtube channel and you'll understand ... 

For the globe thing, not surprising either. That's the argument that I had with somebody the other day. A critic's choice voter said he prefered Melissa Mccarthy among the nominees but voted for Close since she won the globe. The argument was that Mccarthy didn't stand a chance at oscars. Why was that decided so early one, in the race? Now imagine if a lot of them think that exact same way! What I mean is, imagine if each voter just checked for their favorite, maybe we would've had a different winner for each show? They are just followers! This is my problem with these awards shows and  why I and many others lose interest in them as the years go by. They are cool and it's fun to mock other fanbases but they don't mean a damn. It's just voters who want their boots licked! They can't hide their secrets no more and the reason why they lost their magic.

And for the monsters who keep repeating things like "but it is a race, it's not over yet" or "if some of them prefer Gaga, they'll vote for her, there could be an upset", now you understand why some of us were saying the race was over a long time ago? 

Yep. I love Glenn, but she's winning the Oscar because it is a career Oscar and she's been lobbying hard for it. If it was just off performance, it'd be Olivia with Glenn and Gaga in second.  And Richard E. Grant is charming, but it's telling how people want him to upset Ali because he's so "charming" and not just because of his performance.

Like I've been following this for several years and they are always petty, mean, and sometimes worse and it's rarely based off only the performance. I was kind of hoping they wouldn't run anonymous ballots this year, because I know how messy and awful they are and there have been complaints that there is no point to it.  And I also knew fans might overreact/be overly harsh towards Gaga being dragged (and it's not how she thanks Cooper, it's for the weeping), even if she's hardly the first person to be dragged for her speeches.  And outside of Gaga's fanbase and in general film twitter/THR/etc., it's definitely more Cooper getting backlash, for mostly petty sh*t, than Gaga—which is a good thing, even if I feel sort of bad for him, because I think the knives would be more out for her if he wasn't the favorite target for now. This is the first time I've seen her singled out; most of it has been about what he's done "wrong."

Part of me does find Gaga's speeches to be a bit cringe, but at the same time I think it's dumb that actors or singers have to change their natural reaction (be it too over the top, or not "enough").  But while I like following it all, this is the reason I don't take the awards seasons that seriously.

KatieJudasGaga4
1 hour ago, pedrohemg said:

I don't believe she'll lose BOS.That'sost impossible, BUT if that happens, Gaga can only blame herself. Her speeches are really annoying.

So your gonna blame Gaga for losing BOS because of her speeches. Delusion.

Why not blame the voters? They are the people who choose the winners and if they don't vote for the song just because of "annoying" speeches, they will lose credibility because that isn't how voting is suppose to work. Like a voter can say "Shallow is obviously the best song out of all of these, but Gaga's speeches sucked, so I'm not gonna choose it".

I think with BOS they vote on the popular choice that is well known.  So it was not a surprise a Bond theme beat a song in an indie film.

LilyLark
3 minutes ago, S0436 said:

I think with BOS they vote on the popular choice that is well known.  So it was not a surprise a Bond theme beat a song in an indie film.

Y/N. It also depends on how hard people campaign. I'm kind of worried that Disney might be angling hard for Mary Poppins (they have Bette Midler singing it at the show). 

gypsy101

the thing that really grinds my gears is all 20 of them saying they’re voting for Rami Malek like what the hell is even going on at this point maybe the Oscars should be cancelled 

2 minutes ago, gypsy101 said:

the thing that really grinds my gears is all 20 of them saying they’re voting for Rami Malek like what the hell is even going on at this point maybe the Oscars should be cancelled 

He’s a no brainer as he has won everything so far, not that I agree with him winning of course...

Archived