💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

New York Times: 20 Oscar Voter Spill Secrets

mpthecat

Featured Posts

In a perfect world, each voter would approach the task with solemnity, taking time to watch all of the nominated films and putting aside biases to consider the degree of artistry onscreen.

But Hollywood is no utopia.

To a large degree, Oscar voting is about personal prejudices and petty grievances. (Just read the anonymous voter columnsThe Hollywood Reporter has published in the past.) It is about who has the most pals in the voting pool, which remains 69 percent male and 84 percent white despite years of diversification efforts. It also involves Hollywood’s changing business landscape — namely, whether Netflix should be embraced by the industry or kept out of the club for as long as possible, regardless of the quality of the films it serves up.

So, as an experiment, I called 20 academy members (none directly associated with any of this year’s nominees) and asked for utter candor: How are you evaluating the eight candidates for best picture?

ASIB: It’s a long, bumpy road to the Oscars. And this blockbuster remake — a front-runner for best picture late last year — went kerplop somewhere along the way.

Some voters said they lost their zeal for “A Star Is Born” after the film converted only one of its five Golden Globe nominations into a win (best song). Others faulted Lady Gaga, who plays the main role, for giving speeches on the awards trail (the Globes, National Board of Review) that struck them as cloying. A few older voters said they had gone back to watch the 1954 version of “A Star Is Born,” with Judy Garland, and come away with the belief that the current version wasn’t as good, especially in its second hour.

“The new one is a masterpiece — for 40 minutes,” one producer told me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/movies/best-picture-oscars-voters.html

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arcanum

I've seen that the other day and it bothered me. But as a whole they actually discredit ever nominee. So my guess is that this is quite random.

I Wantth your Love...I Wantth your Love.

GypsyBabe

This is so annoying to me. I hate that it's never about the work, but about the politics. There is a reason that my filmmaker friends always called these award shows ridiculous. It should be based on performance and content, not the press trail. 

As I have gotten older, all of these award shows have really lost the magic. 

⚯͛

Then they don’t deserve the honor of being on the Academy if they judge a picture based on how many Globes it wins or on the speeches of one of its stars.  Absurd.

GypsyBabe
1 minute ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

Not them hating on her speeches. Can we blame them tho? :rip:

No, but that should not play a factor in the awards. It's all one big popularity contest. 

⚯͛

4 minutes ago, AMENiCURE said:

asib coming to lose every award

They still have to pick an urban track (Kendrick Lamar) over universally appealing Shallow though.  Can’t see it myself.

Shipper

I just want that Oscar for the song.  JuST that.  They can keep the others. 

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

GypsyBabe
Just now, S0436 said:

Then they don’t deserve the honor of being on the Academy if they judge a picture based on how many Globes it wins or on the speeches of one of its stars.  Absurd.

They are basing votes on a very small pool of the foreign press. That's just so bizarre and biased to me. They are the academy, and they are basically saying "give me the answers to the homework"....

⚯͛

Gaga is a polarizing figure - people either love or hate her but as fans we know where her heart lies. We know how authentic she is when it comes to her work so these voters opinions are irrelevant. 

and let's be real some of these voters who are saying sh*t about her campaign are the ones who also want to take as many pics with her as possible at these awards shows for clout. 

edit: also some of these voters think bohemian rhapsody is a better film than a star is born which says everything about the academy. no tea no shade just an overdose of pink lemonade :vegas:

you can serve it to me ancient city style...

GreenDiamond

it's so dumb that voters make decision based on ,,speeches,, and promo roll

Like SRSLY, u are supposed to be unbiased and fair when voting, and ONLY to focus on quality of movies not on some things that are passing by

-end of rant, thanks.

Brie Candy

Every year NYT and Hollywood Reporter do this interview. They choose the 20 most controversial members to talk about their votes. This is just to create hype with their messy statements. 

Archived