news

New York Times: 20 Oscar Voter Spill Secrets

mpthecat

Featured Posts

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phaye Monster

Honestly I think this means nothing. Let's just be patient and not get our hopes too high.

Gaga's speeches having a negative effect is more a matter of perspective, some will find her too sensitive or whatever, others will think she's sweet and humble. I doubt it'd affect her Oscar chances that much.

I'm an ARTPOP bitch, baby

The Wife and The Favourite need the Oscar to make up for the fact both movies combined only made $90m worldwide.  ASIB doesn’t need to waste its big profit on Oscarola, she is just happy to be there.

freebit
3 minutes ago, pedrohemg said:

I don't believe she'll lose BOS.That's almost impossible, BUT if that happens, Gaga can only blame herself. Her speeches are really annoying.

Nah, the problem is these people who are bothered by these speeches for whatever dumb reason. She's being emotional & greatful, not saying anything f*cked up, or stupid. 

13 minutes ago, Kimblue said:

Agreed it’s like hating on someone because they are too nice.

It's like people couldn't hate on her for being "thirsty" since she's been preoccupied with her Vegas shows and not showing up to lick everyones asses at every event, so they have to manufacture a reason to hate on her some way, and I guess being weepy and thankful is it. 

giskardsb
2 minutes ago, freebit said:

Nah, the problem is these people who are bothered by these speeches for whatever dumb reason. She's being emotional & greatful, not saying anything f*cked up, or stupid. 

It's like people couldn't hate on her for being "thirsty" since she's been preoccupied with her Vegas shows and not showing up to lick everyones asses at every event, so they have to manufacture a reason to hate on her some way, and I guess being weepy and thankful is it. 

Yes, and as this thread shows as usual her worse critics are her fans, now basically blaming Gaga for campaigning incorrectly for awards.   With fans like these, who needs critics.

nattuggla

Actually right now Gaga is the only reason that ASIB wasn't/isn't getting completely snubbed during awards season. Let's remember she won all the major awards for Shallow and even won the Critic's Choice awards for Best Actress. I doubt that her speeches are the reason why ASIB (even in the Non-Gaga categories) is getting snubbed. 

Imho Glenn Close (with her losing the Oscar multiple times narrative) and the huge buzz about Bohemian Rhapsody are one of the only reasons that ASIB/Gaga are being overshadowed and hence snubbed.

44 minutes ago, GypsyBabe said:

This is so annoying to me. I hate that it's never about the work, but about the politics. There is a reason that my filmmaker friends always called these award shows ridiculous. It should be based on performance and content, not the press trail. 

As I have gotten older, all of these award shows have really lost the magic. 

I have the same experience.  A friend writes music for movies.  When he saw that one of my videos included Gaga on a red carpet, he called that section "phony, hypocritical, Hollywood red carpet bullshit".  I was told by others that award shows are all about making money for the show, hence the red carpets and song performances designed to increase viewership.  I find it very sad that awards are not entirely about quality.  I'm glad, though, that artists see enough legitimacy that they are happy and proud to receive the awards.  And it does bring happiness to fans.

I live outside the space time continuum.

Gracious Gaga

I agree w them .  Her speeches are annoying and the movie was only good in the first hour or so.  The second part DRAGGGGGGED it was too long and too choppy 

♥ Kindness Police.

Sanne Godijn
20 minutes ago, pedrohemg said:

I don't believe she'll lose BOS.That'sost impossible, BUT if that happens, Gaga can only blame herself. Her speeches are really annoying.

Thats the dumbest comment if ever seen

ImTired
1 hour ago, giantdoseofbs said:

In a perfect world, each voter would approach the task with solemnity, taking time to watch all of the nominated films and putting aside biases to consider the degree of artistry onscreen.

But Hollywood is no utopia.

To a large degree, Oscar voting is about personal prejudices and petty grievances. (Just read the anonymous voter columnsThe Hollywood Reporter has published in the past.) It is about who has the most pals in the voting pool, which remains 69 percent male and 84 percent white despite years of diversification efforts. It also involves Hollywood’s changing business landscape — namely, whether Netflix should be embraced by the industry or kept out of the club for as long as possible, regardless of the quality of the films it serves up.

So, as an experiment, I called 20 academy members (none directly associated with any of this year’s nominees) and asked for utter candor: How are you evaluating the eight candidates for best picture?

ASIB: It’s a long, bumpy road to the Oscars. And this blockbuster remake — a front-runner for best picture late last year — went kerplop somewhere along the way.

Some voters said they lost their zeal for “A Star Is Born” after the film converted only one of its five Golden Globe nominations into a win (best song). Others faulted Lady Gaga, who plays the main role, for giving speeches on the awards trail (the Globes, National Board of Review) that struck them as cloying. A few older voters said they had gone back to watch the 1954 version of “A Star Is Born,” with Judy Garland, and come away with the belief that the current version wasn’t as good, especially in its second hour.

“The new one is a masterpiece — for 40 minutes,” one producer told me.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/14/movies/best-picture-oscars-voters.html

I really hate people sometimes. :saladga:

Inferno

Any personal opinions I have on her affectations aside, it always annoys me (and this goes for every year shes been existing within popular culture not just recently) how much people allow nonsense to derail their opinions of her output moreso than any other contemporary artist in recent memory. ARTPOPs critical response was largely centered on everything but the music. Every review was a personal bias rant piece on each individual critics Gaga fatigue and them ultimately wanting to give her a slap on the wrist with their scores rather than evaluating it as a piece of Top 40 pop. I'm going to say something no rational person would have the guts to say outloud but quite honestly Gaga is a victim of naysayers. They are very loud and very stubborn and go out of their way to convince people to feel the same, when people dislike Lady Gaga they really have a bug up their ass about it. Gaga is someone with an actual functioning hate train, not Nicki Minaj, imo.

All that being said, I don't believe she ever stood a chance of winning Best Actress, I think the nomination in itself was gracious. I think she SHOULD win BOS and if she doesn't, it will be due to personal bias and nothing more.

AlexanderMagno

The problem is that this movie was blatantly made for the Oscars. And not only the movie itself, but every promotion around it, yes including her speeches.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Glenn Close’s overdue Oscar, Bohemian Rhapsody hype and spectacle, and the quiet but effective Roma and The Favourite, dominated attentions. ASIB ended up as the predictable Oscar ass-kissing movie that simply doesn’t deserve because it was too obvious.

Anyway, it is ridiculous how the biggest movie awards base their choices in other show’s choices.

Monsieur D

How can you someone blame a person for being emotional? I mean, she has always been this way, she cried and got emotional when she won the VMA, so... 

I've been watching Awards Ceremonies for a long time, and almost everyone who won, gets emotional, that's the normal thing when you won anything. So, don't blame her for being a normal human being. 

They are just being subjective, the only thing they should take care of is how Gaga's performance was in the movie. I don't get how could affect her speeches or if she lost some awards on win this award.

And well if she lose, life goes on... just enjoy this moment, it's the moment we've been waiting for since ARTPOP era. Let's be happy that our queen it's getting recognition for her job.

:sara:

(Sorry if my english it's not so good, i'm still learning). 

Archived