Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
question

Worst Grammy winners/snubs?

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

2019 - Song Of The Year - Childish Gambino - This Is America (despite Lady Gaga’s Shallow being nominated)

2019 - Record Of The Year - Childish Gambino - This Is America (despite Lady Gaga’s Shallow being nominated)

:huntyga::ally:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Inferno
17 minutes ago, swakby said:

The Pretty Reckless definitely deserve some sort of a nomination at least. Their discography is impeccable. I can’t help but think that it’s because they have a female vocalist. Hard rock fans seem to be very sceptical about female’s presence in the genre. 

The Pretty Reckless is poser trash. It has nothing to do with Taylor being a female. I remember seeing interviews of hers like 9 years ago and I couldn't believe how annoyingly Forever 21 girl stepping foot into a Hot Topic and calling herself a rockstar because she had the money to, she was. Shes a pretty looking joke.

Inferno
18 hours ago, androiduser said:

Madonna not even being nominated for her biggest pop masterpieces is one of the biggest snubs ever.... she was nominated for mostly some minor awards until Ray of Light.

Like A Prayer deserved awards praise as much as Ray of Light did for sure, maybe Erotica to a lesser extent. Other than that, her being overall snubbed as a major awards leader wasn't exactly undeserved. You could argue a lot of people get nominated anyway therefore why wasn't she? Which, ill agree with that. But because I don't think albums like Like a Virgin or True Blue or even Bedtime Stories especially warranted a bevy of nominations I just can't get myself to care. I also realize this is an unpopular opinion. but so be it.

2 minutes ago, Inferno said:

The Pretty Reckless is poser trash. It has nothing to do with Taylor being a female. I remember seeing interviews of hers like 9 years ago and I couldn't believe how annoyingly Forever 21 girl stepping foot into a Hot Topic and calling herself a rockstar because she had the money to, she was. Shes a pretty looking joke.

Although art is subjective I think that your points have nothing to do with the music that the band does. Give me a solid point  as an argument. 

13 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

They've nominated and allowed bands to win that are female led before. But I think they have to be very critically admired. The Pretty Reckless aren't, though I don't know why. Though I did suggest previously that the fact they started out with a 16 year old girl who was a former child star in The Grinch and known through Gossip Girl did nothing for their credibility. Admittedly, even I had doubts when they started out for this reason. To see a 16 year old lording it up in interviews and looking like every wannabe teenage rebel with her short skirt and eyeliner was an instant turn-off. But then I actually listened to Make Me Wanna Die and never looked back. Maybe because of her beginnings, people thought she'd never be making true "rock" music and must be pop rock. It's not often that someone who came from her beginnings would make music like this and I sometimes wonder if people judge too early and translate her work differently when they hear it as opposed to if she had genuinely started out from the wrong side of the tracks.

Funny thing, I had never watched Gossip Girl by the time I discovered the band. I honestly had no idea who the chic was, I was never interested in watching their interviews, I just thought that their music was great. Maybe it's because I never had the prejudice of Taylor being a teen star in anything other than the 'rock world'. I had no idea she was 16 lol - now I know why Billie Eilish reminds me of her. 

People should really try to distinguish the different endeavours of artists and try not to judge them by their previous career choices. 

Inferno
6 minutes ago, swakby said:

Although art is subjective I think that your points have nothing to do with the music that the band does. Give me a solid point  as an argument. 

That has everything to do with the music. Shes Britney Spears trying to pretend shes Courtney Love. Her showmanship, lyricism and even vocal stylings are so affected. Shes the girl at your high school that grew up rich and hasn't a problem in the world moving to LA, having her parents pay for a million dollar loft downtown, and picks up a drug habit and a bad attitude to try and pretend like shes about that life. And see this is where it gets dicey because then comes your type of argument that keeps her in business "who are you to decide what is and is not artistry/rock n roll/authenticity" "you're being rockist and we should have evolved from that backwards classic rock mentality of policing what rock n roll is" "you're saying this yet you stan Lady Gaga" etc. But its like, shes not it. The band makes painfully mediocre to bad caricatures of what rock music is. imo.

3 minutes ago, Inferno said:

That has everything to do with the music. Shes Britney Spears trying to pretend shes Courtney Love. Her showmanship, lyricism and even vocal stylings are so affected. Shes the girl at your high school that grew up rich and hasn't a problem in the world moving to LA, having her parents pay for a million dollar loft downtown, and picks up a drug habit and a bad attitude to try and pretend like shes about that life. And see this is where it gets dicey because then comes your type of argument that keeps her in business "who are you to decide what is and is not artistry/rock n roll/authenticity" "you're being rockist and we should have evolved from that backwards classic rock mentality of policing what rock n roll is" "you're saying this yet you stan Lady Gaga" etc. But its like, shes not it. The band makes painfully mediocre to bad caricatures of what rock music is. imo.

I like to think that I have some basic knowledge about rock music in general but not really about hard rock. However, I think what you are referring to is rock ideology - rather the idea, the story that a singer needs to have in order to be relevant and interesting to a fanbase. So, in other words, I still don't hear any argument about why their music is 'painfully mediocre' or a 'bad caricature', since what you are referring to is their image. 

I am honestly trying to figure out why you think the music is bad (not trying to pick a fight, rather to educate myself lol). 

Oriane
9 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I, on the other hand, could barely even make it through that album. I really don't know what the academy saw in it. They faded away almost completely after that. I ironically preferred their follow-up, Reflektor, far more. Everything Now was even more interesting to me than The Suburbs.

It's a travesty that The Pretty Reckless have been so ignored. I thought Going To Hell would be the song that got them a nomination at the very least. That has some of the best rock songwriting I've ever heard, especially the way the chorus keeps changing and that amazing ending with the soft creepy laugh. I like how they haven't given up making music even though they've been so underappreciated.

I think it's their more cohesive album, and it's the only one that I've decided to download every single song. There's this atmosphere throughout the album that's dreamy and energetic at the same time. I don't think they'll ever top Funeral though.

Seeing their interactions on social media, The Pretty Reckless seems fine with the fans they already have and I think it's the most important thing. This band is actually one of the only bands/artists that immediately catch me with their melodies. I instantly love almost every song on their albums. The only other one who has that effect on me is Gaga. I think their best album is Who you selling for but I know it's also the most experimental one (and I'm hoping they'll continue in this direction). So it probably had no chance for the awards, but it's surprising that the two previous ones haven't got recognition.

20 minutes ago, swakby said:

The Pretty Reckless definitely deserve some sort of a nomination at least. Their discography is impeccable. I can’t help but think that it’s because they have a female vocalist. Hard rock fans seem to be very sceptical about female’s presence in the genre. 

Halestorm gets nominations though ! And in my opinion, they're not as good. It's a kind of soft-tamed rock, with pop and ballad influences, like we've had for 20 years... TPR on the other hand, they're really getting into full hard rock, it's loud, it's angry, it gives you everything you want !

OT I'll do some research and update when I find other albums and artists that have been snubbed.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Phoebe Buffay

There are too many but some that come to mind are:
Janelle for Dirty Computer
Gaga for The Fame Monster and Born This Way
Katy for Teenage Dream and PRISM
Madonna for her early stuff
Janet for janet., The Velvet Rope and Rhythm Nation 1814
Britney for In The Zone and Blackout
Christina Aguilera for Stripped and Back to Basics
Mariah Carey for Butterfly and Daydream

Inferno
14 minutes ago, swakby said:

I like to think that I have some basic knowledge about rock music in general but not really about hard rock. However, I think what you are referring to is rock ideology - rather the idea, the story that a singer needs to have in order to be relevant and interesting to a fanbase. So, in other words, I still don't hear any argument about why their music is 'painfully mediocre' or a 'bad caricature', since what you are referring to is their image. 

I am honestly trying to figure out why you think the music is bad (not trying to pick a fight, rather to educate myself lol). 

The Pretty Reckless offers nothing interesting melodically, lyrically, visually. The riffs and lyricism read blatantly like shes imitating generic rock artists shes idolized that came before her, poorly. Her image and showmanship is a weak impersonation of Courtney Love to me in which shes just one of so many up n coming female rockers ive seen in LA that idolize Courtney Love and want to imitate her but it comes off hollow because what shes idolizing about her is surface level aesthetics and projections. Its just so common and middling and the only reason they gained any kind of following or buzz initially was the fact that she was on Gossip Girl, otherwise they would just be yet another bad generic (pop)rock band in LA that no one would think twice about thats performing at some rinky dink club here and eventually would disband because they're a dime a dozen. Theres nothing special about what they do within the rock n roll sphere nor even the pop sphere and the icing on the cake is everything I already stated about her affectations. Theres a reason the band never hit it big, no one respects them besides gay pop fans, etc.

1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

So glad that Grammys are no longer so pathetic, then.

The Grams haven't changed, believe me. They are still very much uptight and easily influenced by scandals.

But, what has changed, in the past 40 years, is how the world perceives inequalities and religious aberrations, thankfully, for the better!

androiduser
4 hours ago, Inferno said:

Like A Prayer deserved awards praise as much as Ray of Light did for sure, maybe Erotica to a lesser extent. Other than that, her being overall snubbed as a major awards leader wasn't exactly undeserved. You could argue a lot of people get nominated anyway therefore why wasn't she? Which, ill agree with that. But because I don't think albums like Like a Virgin or True Blue or even Bedtime Stories especially warranted a bevy of nominations I just can't get myself to care. I also realize this is an unpopular opinion. but so be it.

while I might agree that the 80's albums weren't necessarily winning material, songs like Live To Tell, Into The Groove and a handful of other hits were definitely Song of the Year and Record of the Year material. Not to mention the 90's songs like Vogue, Rain etc

Archived