Jump to content
celeb

Katy slammed for black face shoe; to be pulled from shelves

Featured Posts

NCgaga
4 minutes ago, lego said:

 

 

 

why is it so hard for some of you to admit omg... maybe educate yourselves:

 

 

 

It’s not about educating ourselves. I live in the southern US and got a job at a tourist shop when i was younger. The shop was selling old artifacts from the 1940s and some of those items were real black face. I made the notion to have all items removed and it was actually done. Salt shakers, cookie holders, - real black face items.  Now, being older and an interior decorator specializing in antiques and artifacts- with a real education on historical items dealing from Civil war, southern history, WW2, etc- these shoes are no where near black face.  They are just ugly. She has a black shoe and a white shoe with a face on it. What’s she supposed to do? Use neon colors that way someone out there won’t be offended? 

 

 So before you even TRY IT with the “education” comment you need to know who the **** you’re talking to. I went to college for historical artifacts, and their implications on civil matters-  and interior design,. I have the education- you do not. 

  • Like 4
  • LMAO 4
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zander
10 minutes ago, NCgaga said:

It’s not about educating ourselves. I live in the southern US and got a job at a tourist shop when i was younger. The shop was selling old artifacts from the 1940s and some of those items were real black face. I made the notion to have all items removed and it was actually done. Salt shakers, cookie holders, - real black face items.  Now, being older and an interior decorator specializing in antiques and artifacts- with a real education on historical items dealing from Civil war, southern history, WW2, etc- these shoes are no where near black face.  They are just ugly. She has a black shoe and a white shoe with a face on it. What’s she supposed to do? Use neon colors that way someone out there won’t be offended? 

 

 So before you even TRY IT with the “education” comment you need to know who the **** you’re talking to. I went to college for historical artifacts, and their implications on civil matters-  and interior design,. I have the education- you do not. 

The characteristics of a black face + red lips together are so instantly and widely recognisable and associated with black face. That is the unfortunate impact of something so culturally sensitive and oppressive. You simply just do not go there design wise because people will always associate it with that. Fact.

She could of chosen a different coloured lip but she literally used the same colour depicted in the typical imagery. 

  • Like 3

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
lego
5 minutes ago, NCgaga said:

It’s not about educating ourselves. I live in the southern US and got a job at a tourist shop when i was younger. The shop was selling old artifacts from the 1940s and some of those items were real black face. I made the notion to have all items removed and it was actually done. Salt shakers, cookie holders, - real black face items.  Now, being older and an interior decorator specializing in antiques and artifacts- with a real education on historical items dealing from Civil war, southern history, WW2, etc- these shoes are no where near black face.  They are just ugly. She has a black shoe and a white shoe with a face on it. What’s she supposed to do? Use neon colors that way someone out there won’t be offended? 

 

 So before you even TRY IT with the “education” comment you need to know who the **** you’re talking to. I went to college for historical artifacts, and their implications on civil matters-  and interior design,. I have the education- you do not. 

 

Phew the arrogance jumped out. Considering where you live I’m not surprised you’re trying to justify this. :awkney: 

Why not use neon colors? Is there a rule against it, they were ugly either way. But her team knew this would create controversy, they knew people would talk. She wasn’t suppose to put eyes and big red lips on black fabric, no matter what. You don’t give a **** if anyone’s offended because you’re not black or you don’t have any black friends who find it offensive to educate you on the issue. Despite your past “experience”, you seem very intolerant and insensitive on numerous topics regarding race and that’s sad. Not surprising tho. 

 

It's not easy love, but you've got friends you can trust
  • Like 4

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
SKANK

Millennials seem to see blackface everywhere they look in the same way Christians see Jesus on toast.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with Katy, Gucci, or any other artist evoking Blackface imagery in their art, if the intention is thoughtful. That said, I don't think this shoe is an example of a designer thinking thoughtfully.

Plus, Boris Hoppek already did a "blackface" shoe.

SO66045-2-2.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Didymus

Obviously the intention wasn’t blackface, it was just a reference that made a cool design idea. That doesn’t make the shoes unproblematic but intention still is very important imo. I’m not a fan of this ‘wait until someone slips up and crush them’ attitude that’s prevalent among so many youngsters these days.

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
derpmonster
14 minutes ago, SKANK said:

Millennials

:what:

You really mean that sis? 

How old are you? 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lucas

You know, blackfacing is more than just Instagram models, and Ariana Grande, using 37 shades darker foundation than what they should. This poster is from 1900, where people did blackface for entertainment purposes. That's why the shoe is problematic. If you can't see the resemblance, you're blinder than Katy and her team.

Minstrel_PosterBillyVanWare_edit.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bebe
3 hours ago, Bloody hooker said:

Either 98% of this thread is oblivious or European, but the shoe in black resembles old racist dolls and drawings of black people. I put the images in a spoiler.

  Reveal hidden contents

0211-rue-leather-mules-shoes-3.jpg

Dy-ffz1VAAEoRLh?format=jpg&name=360x360

Please do some research 

This exactly - as soon as I saw that shoe I was like... that’s a Golliwog doll design... then for her to make a white “nude” colour shoe with the same face... 🙄

 

That was dumb... I don’t think she did it intentionally, but honestly that aesthetic and that visual language has a strong and recognisable history you can’t blame people for seeing bright red lips, that dark black and those crude eyes and making that association. It was literally my first thought when I saw it.

If I was a racist designing a shoe based on and inspired by black face and the golliwog - that’s probably the design I’d come up with. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
NCgaga
51 minutes ago, lego said:

 

Phew the arrogance jumped out. Considering where you live I’m not surprised you’re trying to justify this. :awkney: 

Why not use neon colors? Is there a rule against it, they were ugly either way. But her team knew this would create controversy, they knew people would talk. She wasn’t suppose to put eyes and big red lips on black fabric, no matter what. You don’t give a **** if anyone’s offended because you’re not black or you don’t have any black friends who find it offensive to educate you on the issue. Despite your past “experience”, you seem very intolerant and insensitive on numerous topics regarding race and that’s sad. Not surprising tho. 

 

Wow- thanks for generalizing an area of the country you know nothing about, and have probably never visited.

first of all - real black face is exaggerated features- often ears, nose and lips.  It was purposely made to poke fun of black people and what they stereotypically look like. None of these features are present on this ugly shoe. Just the colors. It’s just facial features glowed to a black or white shoe. Sure if enough people are offended by it then fine, remove it. Everyone knows that wasn’t the intent behind the shoe. So many things in comedy and fashion and design are being  censored due to the reach or possibility of offending someone. This, is a reach. And don’t call me out on being arrogant. You stirred the pot and TRIED to tell several people they are uneducated just because they don’t agree with you. 

Get an education on real black face- it’s purposes, it’s origins. It’s characteristics- and stop being some white suburban gay who tries to find the offense in everything - because you are “woke” - not educated. 

Edited by NCgaga
  • LMAO 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
lego
4 minutes ago, NCgaga said:

Get an education on real black face- it’s purposes, it’s origins. It’s characteristics- and stop being some white suburban gay who tries to find the offense in everything - because you are “woke” - not educated. 

 

I’m dying, you actually think this is who I am.:lmao::lmao:

Comedy gold. Keep going. :toofunny:

It's not easy love, but you've got friends you can trust
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zander
18 minutes ago, SKANK said:

Millennials seem to see blackface everywhere they look in the same way Christians see Jesus on toast.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with Katy, Gucci, or any other artist evoking Blackface imagery in their art, if the intention is thoughtful. That said, I don't think this shoe is an example of a designer thinking thoughtfully.

Plus, Boris Hoppek already did a "blackface" shoe.

SO66045-2-2.jpg

You can perhaps evoke it in a thoughtful way (and good luck with who does that) but not when your essentially selling and profiting from it, especially a luxury brand like Gucci and Prada. 

  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...