💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Meaning of Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored

joannesrats

Featured Posts

joannesrats

So Ariana's 3rd single, break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored, has gotten her a little bit of heat in a few different ways. One, people are kind of slut shaming her for wanting another woman's boyfriend, and then people are getting on her about "queerbaiting" at the end of the music video by going in for a kiss of her lookalike. I think that there's a lot more going on here about the meaning of the song. On the surface, it does just seem like a fun sex song that you'd hear at a party, but I think it's about finding herself and wanting out of a relationship but not knowing how to get out. In the song Thank U, Next, the lyric of "I know they say I move on too fast/But this one will last/'Cause her name is Ari/And I'm so good with that" really just shows that she has found out who she is and can find comfort in being herself. 

I think this theme carried over to the music video for BUWYGF,IB. In the video, you see her looking from the guy to his girlfriend throughout the party scene and she gets in between them, and winds up kissing the girl at the end of the video. I think that the girl was intentionally cast to look like Ariana to further this point of self love, not that she's out here trying to be bisexual for the views. I believe that this song is really about her being in a relationship that she's bored in, but not bold enough to leave herself so she's basically asking for the guy to end it. She is the girlfriend that she wants him to break up with. At the end of the video, her kissing that girl is really just showing love for herself and getting out of a relationship that she wasn't happy in. 

Is this too deep? Is it just a fun pop song, or is this just a very heavily-veiled metaphor? Thots?

RAMROD

Some of those lyrics are from N'SYNC song by the way. Sincerely, OG 90s kid. :giggle:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

FentyGa

It's legit just a fun pop song
She put it on the album to replace Remember, a ballad about Mac because it was too personal and she wanted some fun pop on the album

1 hour ago, RAMROD said:

Some of those lyrics are from N'SYNC song by the way. Sincerely, OG 90s kid. :giggle:

their best album, space cowboy is THE bop

I think it's not that serious or deep, Ari is pretty much a concept artist and not really meaning artist.. she took off  many songs with deep meanings, she wants to deliver fun and that's it..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this concept is what the song is about. The girlfriend in the video having the EXACT same hairstyle and clothing just feels so out of place, but it would feel right if the concept really is what ari wanted to express. Also I think the people claiming that she's "queerbating" is just ridiculous. These days people are just way too oversensitive :saladga: .

StrawberryBlond

This is the impression I got from the initial song title, before we'd ever heard it. Putting it straight after TUN on the tracklist was a tactical move, because now that she's announced that she's broken up and moved on with TUN, she's already seen another guy she's interested in and wants him to move on to start the cycle all over again OR...she's talking about herself and how she felt at the end of her relationship. But when paired with the video, I'm thinking it really isn't meant to be so deep and it is exactly what she's singing about in the song. She made the video not match the lyrics because that's very common for artists to do to get their video more views. If you listen to the lyrics, some support the "she wants the girl" theory but then it's brought to a halt with lyrics like "you're at home and thinking she can't compare." And most girls don't tell other girls to "hit it in the morning like it's yours." That's a very male/female thing, if you catch my drift. I like the song, I just think people are reading too much into it purely because of the video. You've got to divorce the video from the lyrics and concentrate on what's actually said as the music is what truly matters, not the video.

holy scheisse
2 hours ago, dnzr said:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this concept is what the song is about. The girlfriend in the video having the EXACT same hairstyle and clothing just feels so out of place, but it would feel right if the concept really is what ari wanted to express. Also I think the people claiming that she's "queerbating" is just ridiculous. These days people are just way too oversensitive :saladga: .

Nah bro disagree completely. Using bisexuality just to create something "shocking" is lame. Totally remind me of Te Amo by Rihanna. Bisexuality just bc why not? If that was the intention which it seems like it is bc she leaves it so vague, its lame. Btw when you tell queer people they are too sensitive you are trivializing people's emotions and perpetuating stigma of emotional expression.

I find it refreshing that Ariana is happy playing the "villain" in some of her songs, we need it more in pop music.

I still give her props for making a song about outing an ex.  It's not right, but it's honest in the way she's saying she wants him to hurt like she is (plus the song is a bop).

ItWasntLaauv

The song, in the context of video especially, is deeper than I realized while also still having that b*tchy, sleazy vibe, and you know I completely adore it. :hor:

21 hours ago, holy scheisse said:

Nah bro disagree completely. Using bisexuality just to create something "shocking" is lame. Totally remind me of Te Amo by Rihanna. Bisexuality just bc why not? If that was the intention which it seems like it is bc she leaves it so vague, its lame. Btw when you tell queer people they are too sensitive you are trivializing people's emotions and perpetuating stigma of emotional expression.

I'm gay myself and I honestly don't think this is queerbating, to me queerbaiting is TV shows having a token gay couple and giving them 0.1% screentime to still get gay viewers. Ari has been a huge LGBTQ+ supporter throughout her career, I don't see how she's trying to "bait" queer people when she already has a legion of gays supporting her.

Archived