Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Bradley lost at the DGA

Gagz4Gaga

Featured Posts

MelbHawker
4 hours ago, Wigless said:

****. Oscars sweetie, you need to come thru

Oscars will come thru with a win for 'Shallow' and nothing else. 

MelbHawker
1 hour ago, monketsharona said:

Maybe it's going to hurt some of you but Alfonso Cuaron >>>>>> Bradley Cooper as a director

What makes him a better director exactly? Alfonso's only 'better' because he's been showered with awards by Hollywood. It's Brad's first time directing. Your statement is uninformed and unfair. Next.

CautiousLurker
4 hours ago, MelbHawker said:

What makes him a better director exactly?

Better movies that he's directed? Have you actually seen any of Alfonso Cuaron's movies? How is it an uninformed and unfair statement to say Alfonso Cuaron is a better director when he has movies like Roma and Children of Men under his belt while Bradley's peak so far is only ASIB which isn't even close to Alfonso Cuaron's career peaks? Next yourself 

5 hours ago, MelbHawker said:

What makes him a better director exactly? Alfonso's only 'better' because he's been showered with awards by Hollywood. It's Brad's first time directing. Your statement is uninformed and unfair. Next.

Because Alfonso’s direction from Roma was bloody amazing compared to ASIB. He’s picked up every Best Director award for a reason. If Bradley was being showered with awards by Hollywood, you wouldn’t be saying this now would you, huh? Bradley was never the front-runner for Best Director and never has been, even since ASIB came out. Maybe you just need to accept Alfonso was this year’s best director. I mean, he did direct the year’s “best picture”. Have you seen Roma? The fact Hollywood are actually acclaiming a Netflix film and giving Alfonso all this recognition just strengthens the value of his wins thus far. It means something this year.

freebit

I can't say I'm surprised. 

I think part of the reason why Bradley keeps losing things is because to these guys, on paper there's no reason to vote for him - he's a handsome movie star who directed a hugely successful movie under a big studio. He has no root-worthy narrative beyond this being his first feature. 8th Grade was actually indie, only cost 2 million and he wrote everything without any collaborators, so this seems more akin to most directors first features .

Anyway, I really think their campaign could have benefitted from focusing a lot on the music - its the one thing that sets it a part from the rest of the nominees. The fact that he actually wrote some of the music is actually amazing. When Gaga was explaining to Lin Manual Miranda how she had put the characters life into the equation when writing the songs (like Ally becoming influenced by Jackson's music, then subsequently the pop machine as her character becomes successful) it was super impressive. Her and Bradley were kind of basically writing a musical.  

Reality

He deserves to get at least one award, though. This is only his first time directing, so it was obviously not the GREATEST of directing in movies, but I thought he did a really good job. 

Honestly I’m more mad that Bradley isn’t getting anything than Gaga. This was Bradley’s vision, and it’s sad to see it not get awarded anything.

🖤👹

It’s a tough year there are so many amazing films. I’m sure he will direct again and continue to do great work. He made really amazing choices with ASIB. 

MelbHawker
20 hours ago, Rio said:

Because Alfonso’s direction from Roma was bloody amazing compared to ASIB. He’s picked up every Best Director award for a reason. If Bradley was being showered with awards by Hollywood, you wouldn’t be saying this now would you, huh? Bradley was never the front-runner for Best Director and never has been, even since ASIB came out. Maybe you just need to accept Alfonso was this year’s best director. I mean, he did direct the year’s “best picture”. Have you seen Roma? The fact Hollywood are actually acclaiming a Netflix film and giving Alfonso all this recognition just strengthens the value of his wins thus far. It means something this year.

I agree that Alfonso is the years best director. Roma is a sublime piece of film making. I'm not of the opinion that Brad should be winning over Alfonso. I'm just sick of reading posts on here that are of the contention that Bradley's efforts were weaker than Alfonso's. Their approaches are both stunning and totally different. Ones not better than the other IMO. Both film's take the viewer to a place which results in their feelings and emotions being changed and altered. 

My original post was a little shallow (no pun intended). I should've perhaps explained myself more thoroughly as it reads like I was positioning Cooper > Alfonso. 

MelbHawker
20 hours ago, CautiousLurker said:

Better movies that he's directed? Have you actually seen any of Alfonso Cuaron's movies? How is it an uninformed and unfair statement to say Alfonso Cuaron is a better director when he has movies like Roma and Children of Men under his belt while Bradley's peak so far is only ASIB which isn't even close to Alfonso Cuaron's career peaks? Next yourself 

Bradley's literally only directed one film. It's so unfair to pit the two next to each other in terms of who's better when one has barely started his film directing career. Cuaron's films are outstanding, yes I've watched them. 

8 hours ago, MelbHawker said:

I agree that Alfonso is the years best director. Roma is a sublime piece of film making. I'm not of the opinion that Brad should be winning over Alfonso. I'm just sick of reading posts on here that are of the contention that Bradley's efforts were weaker than Alfonso's. Their approaches are both stunning and totally different. Ones not better than the other IMO. Both film's take the viewer to a place which results in their feelings and emotions being changed and altered. 

My original post was a little shallow (no pun intended). I should've perhaps explained myself more thoroughly as it reads like I was positioning Cooper > Alfonso. 

Definitely not. I'd go as far to say Bradley, as a director, was 10x more hard-working than the others this year. He was the director, the producer, he co-wrote the screenplay, he acted, learned to play instruments, learned to sing, he wrote songs, bought out the best in Gaga, trained his voice for two years to become a lower pitch, etc... All on his debut. That man's efforts deserve recognition and no award can recognise that. I think 8 nominations is enough for him to be happy anyways, especially on his debut.

Tbh, I preferred ASIB way more than Roma. And it's not because Gaga is in it. Roma, to me, was a series of beautiful shots and cinematography that basically masked a pretty thin storyline. It was a beautiful film but it didn't do much for me. It didn't make me "feel" like ASIB did. It didn't leave any lingering feelings, and I can't see myself wanting to watch it again.

CautiousLurker
15 hours ago, MelbHawker said:

Bradley's literally only directed one film. It's so unfair to pit the two next to each other in terms of who's better when one has barely started his film directing career. Cuaron's films are outstanding, yes I've watched them. 

I don't see it as a good argument for showering him with awards tho - quite the opposite in fact, you need to show consistency in order to prove yourself as a master... If Bradley is a genuinely good director, he'll make another Oscar-worthy movie... and another, and another...I mean, it would be more unfair to Alfonso if he was passed on after directing probably the best movie this year, for a newcomer who is yet to show longevity...

Archived