Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Best & worst music of 2018

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond
16 hours ago, SCHEISSEMONTRE said:

:triggered: why are you siding with the ARTPOLICE 

Trust me, I wouldn't normally put a Maroon 5 song in the best list and I wasn't keen on the original but putting Cardi on it made it so much better and I think it's just a fun summer song. Not everything has to be deep and award-winning songwriting to get on the best list, to me.

16 hours ago, McYves said:

I even ****ing made a topic about it (but since I'm not famous, it was ignored by every****ingone) :huntyga:, so here's a copy/paste of what I originally posted. AGAIN:

This is my favorite videos/singles released in 2018. Maybe you don't know some of these artists (maybe), so at the same time it is a recommendation. And I want to know what you consider the best of 2018 in music too. Happy holidays, guys, and may 2019 be a wonderful year for every one of you!

I don't know when you made it but if it was before the end of 2018, I don't compile my list until the year is officially over and i was away at the end of the year and was rarely online in early January, but I'm sorry if I missed you doing the same thing. It's just that I've made this list every year for the last few years and I seem to be the only one who does, so I just thought no one else had done it. Sorry if you feel like you were overlooked but it wasn't intentional on my part anyway.

15 hours ago, ARPiT said:

This is homophobia, madam! May I, please, know why was this not higher than its current placement? And why any single from this masterpiece is not in top-40 tracks? :coffee:

The nation wants to know, the nation deserves answer that what made Camilla a better album than GH?

Honestly, I think Golden Hour is Kacey's weakest album. So saying, it's still ok but not a patch on her earlier work. This just seemed more like bland country for the most part and left me really disappointed. It seems like the more famous she gets, the more santisied her music gets. In the beginning, she really called out double standards and went against traditional southern views, with controversial lines (by country standards) like "make lots of noise and kiss lots of boys or kiss lots of girls if that's something you're into, when the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up a joint, or don't, just follow your arrow wherever it points." Then she calmed down a bit with her follow-up but still had the guts to call out beauty pageants and encouraged acceptance. But now she's just making an album about being in love and is experimenting with a slightly different sound. Just not feeling it as much and I hope she goes back to her old style next time. It's beyond me why this is the album that's winning her all these accolades and standing the biggest chance of winning Grammy AOTY.

15 hours ago, glagerfeld said:

Accelerate and apeshit are really good so...

Accelerate wasn't quite as bad as I remembered it looking back but I pretty much don't know anyone who liked it, it just isn't Christina's true style or the kind of people she should be working with, it's like she did it just to be current and trendy. And as for Apes**t, well, I'm not here for this superficial couple and their repeated alienation of the rest of the world. Beyonce bragging when she's not even a rapper also comes off really bad. I was never Beyonce's biggest fan but this work is just soulless.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Hybrid
On 1/15/2019 at 1:34 AM, StrawberryBlond said:

See what I mean about very low scores despite being the best albums of the year? Worst year on record, just so many albums failing to reach the upper echelons.

You should really hear Florence and Arctic Monkeys’ records

No family’s safe when I sashay

StrawberryBlond
5 minutes ago, A Hybrid said:

You should really hear Florence and Arctic Monkeys’ records

I did listen to both those albums, both were disappointing and not as good as earlier work.

A Hybrid
23 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I did listen to both those albums, both were disappointing and not as good as earlier work.

I can’t speak for Florence’s because their style doesn’t drastically change with each album, but Tranquility Base was literally a concept album and it’s pretty much incomparable to Arctic Monkeys’ earlier work tbh. It takes a few listens to sink in but I think it was the best album of 2018 :shrug:

I think the artistry alone makes these two better than most on your list, even if not as good as their earlier work, but that’s only my opinion of course. 

EDIT: Even their worst tracks are better than the Chainsmokers’, now this is out of the boundaries of “opinion” :grr:

No family’s safe when I sashay

1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I don't know when you made it but if it was before the end of 2018, I don't compile my list until the year is officially over and i was away at the end of the year and was rarely online in early January, but I'm sorry if I missed you doing the same thing. It's just that I've made this list every year for the last few years and I seem to be the only one who does, so I just thought no one else had done it. Sorry if you feel like you were overlooked but it wasn't intentional on my part anyway.

Oh, no, sorry if I sound rude, it's never the intention, really. I was kind of joking about myself. I loved you list and I even discovered new artists thanks to you! :)

Don't wanna kiss, don't wanna touch, just drink my ****ing coffee and watch 90's cartoons and hush

Best (albums): ASIB soundtrack, Icarus Falls by Zayn (give it a try! It’s just so good), My Dear Melancholy (The Weeknd), Identification (Benjamin Ingrosso), High As Hope (Florence + The Machine)

Worst: Girls like you, Drake’s whole album omg too many bad songs, so I’ll leave it there 

III

StrawberryBlond
On 1/20/2019 at 7:54 PM, A Hybrid said:

I can’t speak for Florence’s because their style doesn’t drastically change with each album, but Tranquility Base was literally a concept album and it’s pretty much incomparable to Arctic Monkeys’ earlier work tbh. It takes a few listens to sink in but I think it was the best album of 2018 :shrug:

I think the artistry alone makes these two better than most on your list, even if not as good as their earlier work, but that’s only my opinion of course. 

EDIT: Even their worst tracks are better than the Chainsmokers’, now this is out of the boundaries of “opinion” :grr:

I didn't really take in that the Arctic Monkeys made a concept album, I just listen to the music and don't judge based on that stuff unless it's really obvious. I just found it all a bit pretentious and hard to decipher and when music is like that, I just can't get into it. After their AM album, I was expecting so much more. To me, I'm not into praising something just because there was a high level of artistic vision or had a complicated concept or was cohesive or even if there's good vocals on it. All that matters is the quality of the tracks and what good/bad ratio there is when all is said and done.

Normally, I wouldn't feature Chainsmokers tracks either. But their new album was actually not bad for their standards. I suspect that most people criticising this inclusion hasn't actually heard their album. Everybody Hates Me really helped me through a hard time this year and it still brings a tear to my eye when I hear it now and I think a lot of people could see themselves in this song if they take the time to listen to it and take it in. They're getting more artistic and taking more risks this time around and there's no bad tracks on their album. And 2.5/5 is hardly a great score but it had the best ratio out of all the 2.5/5's that I rated this year, so its placement is earned. It wouldn't be there if the year had been better.

On 1/20/2019 at 8:09 PM, McYves said:

Oh, no, sorry if I sound rude, it's never the intention, really. I was kind of joking about myself. I loved you list and I even discovered new artists thanks to you! :)

I knew it was just a general message to us all but I decided to acknowledge it from a personal standpoint anyway since I made the thread. And thanks for using my thread as a tool to discover artists you're unfamiliar with, which is always my intention - getting people out the comfort zone of a small number of favourites they always listen to and finding lots of new stuff that they had no idea existed.

Archived