Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Biggest Flop Music Moment of 2018

DiscoHeaven23

2018 Flops  

279 members have voted

1. 1. What was the biggest flop moment in music in 2018?

• Fergie's National Anthem
    • Nicki Minaj's 'Queen' era
    • Dua Lipa's stage presence
    • Justin Timberlake's 'Man of the Woods' era
    • Chainsmokers releasing 9 singles and all failed
    • Collaboration song "Girls" (by Rita) and the controversy surrounding its content
    • 6ix9ine's album reviews (worst reviewed this year)
    • Alessia Cara's sophomore era (no hits, album debut outside of Top 50)
    • Shawn Mendes 'Shawn Mendes' era
    • other

Featured Posts

Anderson123

Probably Nicki Minaj’s album because she had been hyping it for months releasing random singles and features then it was a disappointment to everyone (didn’t even listen to it but that’s what I read) after bragging about it, not to mention the pretentious title and her drama with Cardi B. 

And WOW, did the Chainsmokers actually release 9 singles this year? I thought they were on a break. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

Lemme show you the faults in ur statements lol 

These were not hits

Barbie Thingz (2018)
1st Week: #83
2nd Week: #25 - PEAK POSITION
3rd Week: #78
4th Week: #84 
(knocked out)

Chun-Li (2018) *1 week in Top 10*
1st Week: #92
2nd Week: #10 - PEAK POSITION
3rd Week: #48
4th Week: #50
5th Week: #19
6th Week: #29 
7th Week: #28 
8th Week: #33
9th Week: #46
10th Week: #43
11th Week: #52 
12th Week: #62 
13th Week: #82
14th Week: #89
(knocked out)

Neither was this. (actually Say Something was his "biggest hit" from the era, but that still wasnt a hit lol)

Filthy (2018)
1st Week: #9 - PEAK POSITION
2nd Week: #29
3rd Week: #33
4th Week: #51
5th Week: #34
6th Week: #90
(knocked out)

Commercially, if a song doesn't do well it is a flop

I don’t need chart positions to explain the impact of a song. I hear “Filthy” on the radio all the time, and people who weren’t fans of Justin still like it.

Also “Chun Li” And “Barbie Dreams” were talked about for weeks, maybe months, after they were released. 

Chart positions don’t always determine success, just look at Britney Spears’s chart positions, her biggest hits didn’t even reach top ten in some cases. 

TimisaMonster

Nicki Minaj getting #2 and ranting and melting down for weeks was the worst...

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

StreamDelicate

Queen lol. Was supposed to be Nicki's triumphant return and instead she gets no hits + didn't get #1 + embarrasses herself after all that talk of being the best female rapper out there.

Shawn and Alessia didn't really have flop eras, just underwhelming compared to their previous ones. 

Justin flopped but MOTW era died a pretty quick and painless death.

halcyonpop

When I read “Fergie’s National Anthem” at the top of the list, I could NOT believe that happened this year, it feels like I’ve lived with that moment forever. MESS!!

StrawberryBlond

My top 5 are...

5 - 6ix9ine's album reviews. One of the worst albums ever made and rightfully trashed. However, Fefe was a hit and got a ton of views and likes, which is a travesty but the truth. And at the end of the day, the wider world doesn't even know who he is, so he came out of this relatively unscathed in the grand scheme of things.

4 - Justin's failed album. Mediocre, poorly executed body of work that was very badly advised and the public answered harshly. However, he did have a top ten hit with Say Something and he does have a very successful tour (likely partly because he put the tickets out pre-album, but ok) and the moment has been generally forgotten about in general. We don't seem to bash males like we do females when they flop.

3 - Fergie's national anthem. She had a really bad album roll-out as it was, so this was the icing on top of a really bad time. She was widely shared and mocked and it was listed as one of the worst renditions of all time, if not the worst. The sad thing was, she didn't even have a big hit to overshadow it. Very much a Xtina-esque reception, but worse. The only thing that doesn't make this moment higher is because she wasn't expected to be amazing in the first place.

2 - Chainsmokers failed singles. I really didn't anticipate this from them, that's the shocking part. They should have had decent success after their mammoth success post-Closer but no. Even their more mainstream sound still didn't connect, even if the videos did well. The public seems to have suddenly fallen out of love. But at least they haven't released a flop album with it, unlike the #1...

1 - Nicki's Queen era. Truly a shocker for a rapper who was once so popular, which is why she's the #1 because this is someone who shouldn't have failed so spectacularly. Only one single that scraped the top 10 (and out the very next week), low video views and likes (by her standards), a postponed tour because she can't sell tickets, can't get a #1 album despite all the (cringey) tricks she pulled and now she's doing rent-a-rapper remixes to try to grasp some success back. And the worst thing is how she's conducted herself this whole era. At least if other artists failed, they did it with grace and dignity, but she did it with Twitter rants, beefs with other rappers and calling her album Queen, to boot.

DiscoHeaven23
24 minutes ago, 053Timo said:

Why is Shawn Mendes an option? He didn’t flop...

He did actually, compared to his last eras.  Didn’t get a top 10 hit. And waited forever to release a second single and it only peaked at #48 and has plummeted down the chart. Perhaps not the worst flop of the year, but it’s an under performance FOR HIM.

053Timo
58 minutes ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

He did actually, compared to his last eras.  Didn’t get a top 10 hit. And waited forever to release a second single and it only peaked at #48 and has plummeted down the chart. Perhaps not the worst flop of the year, but it’s an under performance FOR HIM.

In My Blood was kinda massive! SM is personally my favorite album of his. Maybe his first albums did better chart wise but come one why put him on the list when we have 9 failing singles from The Chainsmokers 😏

Archived