💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Baby It's Cold Outside Banned From Radio

Yuuri

Featured Posts

Mirages

I mean honestly, people are so easily offended these days. It's sad. At this point the me too movement I feel like I had much more issues than the ability to change something smh

I'm the bitch that's fragile

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on, have y’all listened to that song, it’s creepy af, I don’t care if it is a classic or whatever.

Ban Every Breath You Take in the process too, please, thank you.

Meruk Holland
14 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted. How many witches are pressed in modern times?

Have you seen Neptune's Daughter? She is literally trying her best to leave his apartment and he keeps grabbing her, giving her unwanted careses, closes the curtains, undresses her, gives her a strong alcoholic drink. It's wimsical date rape and sexual battery. That is how the song was performed.

My comment wasn't towards Rudolf it was towards your false equivalency of "Ding dong the Witch is dead" and "Baby it's cold outside." Now you deflect towards Rudolf. 

This scene's context is missing. The woman, Eve, goes on the date to stop the man, Jose, from dating her sister. However Jose wasn't the one dating her sister, rather it was another man pretending to be Jose. Anyway, Eve fully intends to make the date end as quickly as possible because she never intended to give Jose a real chance. However, between his "attractiveness" and "charm," she ends up falling for him and the two characters even end up marrying. Whether it speaks more to the time of the movie or to Eve's character, she consents to this behavior. It's why she smiles at the end of the song. Both characters behave dramatically, in both Jose's advances and Eve's rejections, but I again don't know if that was because that's the characters' actual energy or because older movie actors just emoted more dramatically in general.

In any case, the song wasn't written for Neptune's Daughter. In fact, it was kinda shoehorned in because of how popular it was amongst Hollywood parties.

Fun fact: Hundreds of women are killed annually for the crime of being a witch, mostly in Africa and India. That's not 1 in 5, nor do I ever hear the song "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" on the radio, but it still surprised me. 

2 hours ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted. How many witches are pressed in modern times?

Have you seen Neptune's Daughter? She is literally trying her best to leave his apartment and he keeps grabbing her, giving her unwanted careses, closes the curtains, undresses her, gives her a strong alcoholic drink. It's wimsical date rape and sexual battery. That is how the song was performed.

My comment wasn't towards Rudolf it was towards your false equivalency of "Ding dong the Witch is dead" and "Baby it's cold outside." Now you deflect towards Rudolf. 

I can't help but notice you choose a clip from Neptune's Daughter which edited out the part when the film goes on to reverse the gender roles.

Oh, and what Meruk said:

This scene's context is missing. The woman, Eve, goes on the date to stop the man, Jose, from dating her sister. However Jose wasn't the one dating her sister, rather it was another man pretending to be Jose. Anyway, Eve fully intends to make the date end as quickly as possible because she never intended to give Jose a real chance. However, between his "attractiveness" and "charm," she ends up falling for him and the two characters even end up marrying. Whether it speaks more to the time of the movie or to Eve's character, she consents to this behavior. It's why she smiles at the end of the song. Both characters behave dramatically, in both Jose's advances and Eve's rejections, but I again don't know if that was because that's the characters' actual energy or because older movie actors just emoted more dramatically in general.

Spoiler

And since you asked. If you set aside the history of "witches" being executed (there were about 80,000 witches executed in Europe between 1500 and 1600, and a similar number of witches were murdered during the Inquisition) there are still many men and women accused, jailed, and executed over allegations of witchcraft. For example, in 2007 Saudi Arabia (a country which has actually has an Anti-Witchcraft Unit) executed an individual accused of being a "sorcerer," the same year a man in Egypt was beheaded after being found guilty of "practicing magic and sorcery." In Tanzania hundreds of women have been murdered because they have been accused of witchcraft. You can go online and find videos of vigilante mobs beheading, burning, and murdering, alleged witches. Violence against "witches," sometimes in the form of pressing, is actually a very serious and current issue. 

FinnishGypsy
4 hours ago, 01Jaime said:

The disrespect to this classy christmas  classic..

HAH!

1 in 4 US women are raped at some point throughout their life; >80% never get reported. Of the few rapes that are reported, less than 1/3 of the perpetrators are ever even charged, much less serve any jail time. That indicates a huge underlying fundamental societal problem, and the constant whining about people being “too easily offended” by individuals such as yourself, when statistically the “offended snowflake” in question is likely to have been sexually harassed, assaulted and/or raped at some point, and are now forced to live in a nation where both the POTUS and a member of the SCOTUS are sex offenders, consistently illustrates blatant disrespect to over half of the country’s population. 

But by all means, let us not dare disrespect a ****ing Christmas jingle! 

FinnishGypsy

Why do you think this nation has such an epidemic of violence against women?

Surely it can’t at all be correlated with the manner in which men are raised in this culture, wherein they are inundated with implicit “women are disposable whores” rhetoric through every aspect of the media (e.g., movies, songs, etc). It’s so crucial to remember how the media, aka popular culture, normalizes behavior. In fact, it effectively sets the boundaries for it.

Hence, it’s far past time to stop endorsing the societal mindset that has contributed to rape culture for decades upon decades. Will banning this one particular song, or all problematic media material for that matter, solve the issue of violence against women? Absolutely not. But at least it’s a start.

ChicaSkas

is this real life? it's a song about seduction, not date rape.

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

FinnishGypsy
37 minutes ago, ChicaSkas said:

is this real life? it's a song about seduction, not date rape.

The song’s message is the following: no doesn’t actually mean no. She’s being a tease, and we all know that no really means yes. So I will persistently wear her down until she’s no longer explicitly stating “no.”

And yes, unfortunately that is real life for an alarming number of women.

FinnishGypsy

I really can't stay (Baby it's cold outside)
I gotta go away (Baby it's cold outside)
This evening has been (Been hoping that you'd dropped in)
So very nice (I'll hold your hands they're just like ice)
My mother will start to worry (Beautiful what's your hurry?)
My father will be pacing the floor (Listen to the fireplace roar)
So really I'd better scurry (Beautiful please don't hurry)
Well maybe just a half a drink more (I'll put some records on while I pour)

The neighbors might think (Baby it's bad out there)
Say what's in this drink? (No cabs to be had out there)
I wish I knew how (Your eyes are like starlight now)
To break this spell (I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell) (Why thank you)
I ought to say no, no, no sir (Mind if move in closer?)
At least I'm gonna say that I tried (What's the sense of hurtin' my pride?)
I really can't stay (Baby don't hold out)
Baby it's cold outside

Ah, you're very pushy you know?

I like to think of it as opportunistic

I simply must go (Baby it's cold outside)
The answer is no (But baby it's cold outside)
The welcome has been (How lucky that you dropped in)
So nice and warm (Look out the window at that storm)
My sister will be suspicious (Gosh your lips look delicious!)
My brother will be there at the door (Waves upon a tropical shore)
My maiden aunt's mind is vicious (Gosh your lips are delicious!)
Well maybe just a cigarette more (Never such a blizzard before) (And I don't even smoke)

I've got to get home (Baby you'll freeze out there)
Say lend me a coat? (It's up to your knees out there!)
You've really been grand, (I feel when I touch your hand)
But don't you see? (How can you do this thing to me?)—[AKA trying to guilt her because HE is horny; how dare she do this to him and go home to her worried family during a blizzard without first ****ing him].
There's bound to be talk tomorrow (Think of my life long sorrow!)—[Apparently blue balls is now “life long sorrow”]
At least there will be plenty implied (If you caught pneumonia and died!)—[Scare tactics to convince someone to have sex with you rather than die from a terrible illness isn’t exactly my idea of seduction].
I really can't stay (Get over that old out)
Baby it's cold
Baby it's cold outside
Okay fine, just another drink then
That took a lot of convincing!

This song sounds like the Bill Cosby playbook.

Glamourpuss

I always got the impression the lyrics are of two people flirting. Obviously for the time it's written in, a woman would be more lady like. She isn't going to jump into bed, she would be like "no I mustn't" because she doesn't want to act slutty and be judged as such. I don't think it's rapey at all although I can see how people have made that connection. 

FinnishGypsy
1 minute ago, Glamourpuss said:

I always got the impression the lyrics are of two people flirting. Obviously for the time it's written in, a woman would be more lady like. She isn't going to jump into bed, she would be like "no I mustn't" because she doesn't want to act slutty and be judged as such. I don't think it's rapey at all although I can see how people have made that connection. 

I can definitely understand that interpretation aside from the “what’s in this drink?” line. That just sounds like date rape.

And while you may very well be correct in stating the lyrics may not have had any nefarious intentions during the context in which they were initially released, there’s nevertheless a reason we no longer allow all manner of racist, homophobic and sexist media material to continue being released and promoted. Because someone hearing those lyrics now won’t associate them with a flirtation during times when women were sexually oppressed, but rather as a part of the continuing “no means yes” narrative that is causing devastating sexual violence. And it continues being re-recorded and consequently played every year, without any adaptation for the sociopolitical climate, which is wherein the underlying problem is. 

Helxig

I like when Gaga and Joseph Gordon-Levitt switched the roles. This song has always been creepy but flipping the script allowed me to enjoy it in a new way.

I'll be myself until they fƫcking close the coffin.

FinnishGypsy
5 hours ago, Alan123 said:

The decade of getting offended about everything.

That’s because we’ve spent decades upon decades NOT being offended about anything of consequence. And the result is the following: a racist, homophobic and misogynistic society that elected a leader who perfectly encapsulates those qualities. Maybe it’s time for some of us to start getting “offended.”

I dunno, I think the context you put the lyrics in matter :shrug: Certainly if you take some of the lyrics at face value and put them into the 2018 climate then they can come across as questionable and I understand what people mean.

But I've always imagined it as an interaction between two people in a relationship, she sounds like she WANTS to stay but she just feels like it's not the "proper" thing to do (especially considering it's the 40s). It's the equivalent of that feeling of wanting to spend all day with someone but you know you shouldn't because you have work to do, people will start wondering where you are etc etc It's a playful interaction on both their parts and I don't think it was meant to be anything more than that. The song doesn't necessarily even imply sex either, it could be purely romantic in intention.

Archived