Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

“Roma” will win the Oscars, ASIB only best original song

Kimmo

Featured Posts

Gaga4stef

I could live with that. But I won't tolerate a snub for any awards for the music. As much as I admire and enjoy Kendrick's work, and I do, he better not trip this up. ASIB OST is AMAZING and it appeals to a much wider audience. 

I also think the quality of Bradley's work in this film is so good that it deserves to be recognized and awarded if not for picture of the year, then in some other category like screenplay or cinematography or something. I'm not sure exactly what nominations he's received tbh.

Every time we say goodbye baby it hurts

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KleinGa
25 minutes ago, Akiki said:

This topic is quite interesting. For the media, yes, they will see it as a streaming service film while in reality it isn't. Not yet and not quite. 

The second problem is deeper: profit. Netflix spends lots of money producing content but the revenue isn't clear. Imagine if big blockbusters like the Avengers where only released via streaming. With a price tag of 200 million to produce and a box office above a billion dollars, could Netflix keep up with this massive Numbers? Probably not. Unless you had to pay extra for those releases (plus the subscriber fee).

If this is the future, one thing is certain, it will be the end of movie theaters.

I understand by technicality it will not be a streaming film but generally, it will be seen as such and as you said, pegged by the media as such. 

While I see your point about the production and cost analysis issues, Oscar films tend not to be huge blockbuster movies that rank in billions in revenue and cost upward of 150m to produce. I don't think that it would spell trouble for major blockbuster films- as yet. But if streaming services start to dominate the world of the critical darlings (the oscar winners), then it would certainly but the industry in a bind. Additionally, streaming services are beginning to dip their toes into the big budget world. I think Amazon's billion dollar Lord of the Rings series will be the ultimate test case (maybe not a full test case as LOTR is an old and well-established franchise with a well-established market)

My main interest in this is watching to see how studios will respond when it comes to choosing what to invest in. Will big studios start pumping more money into their collaboration content with streaming houses as a result? How is the market from the producer perspective changing/ will change if Roma wins. Given that Amazon is also pushing more and more content with the only intention to win the critics (they haven't been quite successful but they've tried). 

Bradley

Golden Globe is a huge indicator so let's wait for that.

Over the past five years, every Oscar-winning category (acting or picture) is a Golden Globe winner.

zakariah

I honestly don't really mind if Roma wins BP, but I gotta say this: if Roma wins, then the oscars will yet again prove that they're losing their touch with audiences

Then I'm not watching the Oscars! I can watch Gaga's performance later on YouTube. 

I'm planning to take a day off from work, watch the Oscars live all night, because I'm living in Europe..stay awake, feel like sht the next day. Hmm where this sound familiar from? Oh yeah! I've already done this (Grammys 2018 hello) I won't do this again to myself.

18 hours ago, smokeandhush said:

Oh my god when all of you talk about Gaga winning an Oscar, i thought you guys were just talking about Original Song. But do you guys actually think she’s gonna win Best Actress?? :giveup: She really wasn’t that good. Don’t set yourselves up for disappointment. It’s a huge accomplishment for her just to be nominated. 

18 hours ago, GypsyBabe said:

Did we watch the same movie? :oprah:

All the actors, critics, directors, and industry people would disagree. 

Gaga was good, 10x better than Madonna and Beyonce, better than many actresses, and singer-come-actresses. But she wasn’t great. Watch The Favorite, Roma or The Wife, and compare their female leads to Gaga’s performance. If you can't see it, then we can’t help you. 

I want Gaga to win but I don’t think she’s the worthy winner, I doubt she’ll even win.  Most of the film critics were just shocked and surprised at how good she was, especially in her debut film, and especially because she’s Lady Gaga. An enigma star who is still building this new respectable image, away from the crazy costumes and shocking antics. This is why she has got so much acclaim. Go watch the other possible contenders and look past the “Monster love” for her (which we all have) and use your intuition and non-biased critique. I just want us to be realistic and not set ourselves up for disappointment.

17 hours ago, mikeyxgaga said:

:triggered: ... You’re entitled to your wrong opinion sis. I thought Gaga’s acting was amazing, and everyone I know who has seen it (and isn’t a biased Gaga fan) agrees.

you can’t say someone else’s opinion is wrong 😂 Gaga’s acting is not as good as Olivia Coleman or Glenn Close, this year. Fact. Watch the films.

16 hours ago, elijahfan said:

I also believe Roma will be our biggest competition.... But since Cuarón has already won everything back with Gravity, I'm not sure the Academy would be willing to shower him with trophies again, and might want to award a newcomer director like Bradley.

Also, many people are talking about Roma's lead actress as a sure contender, and I'm literally not ready for the meltdowns here if she wins against Gaga :toofunny: So far, I'd say the only sure wins are for original score, and probably director.

EDIT: just saw Suspiria, and suddenly I'm scared for best original score.....

Director is likely going to Roma.

Kimblue
39 minutes ago, Rio said:

you can’t say someone else’s opinion is wrong 😂 Gaga’s acting is not as good as Olivia Coleman or Glenn Close, this year. Fact. Watch the films.

Gaga is favored to win by the experts. Fact.  Let’s not act like that opinion is only created by LMs.

I don't want only Best song for Gaga. It's not fair. Sam Smith only recorded the song in the studio and won.

Gaga recorded a whole album, learned a script for a whole movie, shot a whole movie in a brilliant way. It looks so natural and real like she is not even acting, that's how good she is...and to tell me she only deserves the same category as Sam Smith is not fair at all. Does it seem fair to you? :fthis:

flopheart

Never thought ASIB could win best picture, i only care about best actress nominee and best original song win

10 hours ago, Rio said:

Pan’s Labrinth didn’t exactly win any MAJOR awards like the ones we’re all discussing here though, right???

The majors was Best Cinematography the other two were Production Design and make up. So yes Cinematography is huge for a foreign film. 

My poin is that The Academy is very unpredictable, I mean some people around here think that you need success to win an Oscar lmao 

just look at the past, “The Artists”, a silent film from 2011 won Best Picture... yeah people don’t remember because unknown movies tend to also win big, “Spotlight” from 2015 had some controversy because it won Best Picture and nobody even heard about it,unless you know or were into the Oscars races 

Hottie Detector

19 hours ago, elijahfan said:

I also believe Roma will be our biggest competition.... But since Cuarón has already won everything back with Gravity, I'm not sure the Academy would be willing to shower him with trophies again, and might want to award a newcomer director like Bradley.

Also, many people are talking about Roma's lead actress as a sure contender, and I'm literally not ready for the meltdowns here if she wins against Gaga :toofunny: So far, I'd say the only sure wins are for original score, and probably director.

EDIT: just saw Suspiria, and suddenly I'm scared for best original score.....

Well then you’re in for a surprise, The Academy can careless about being equal, they don’t care if you’re an old or new comer lol they just nominate and award, they also have a lot of favoritism 

Alejandro Iñárritu won Best Picture for “Birdman” in 2014 and they showered him with more awards again in 2015 for “The Revenant”, won Best Director and was the movie that gave Leo his first Oscar. 

Once again they are very unpredictable and will give the award to the less known movies. Just how they work 

Hottie Detector

Archived