Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Pop in 2018

Pantera

Featured Posts

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀osrdhl.jpg

Since this is a pop forum, I thought it was only right to have a discussion about Pop in 2018 since the year is almost over. Pop music in 2018 wasn’t exactly the most popular in the charts. But that did not stopped pop stars from releasing music. We got two comebacks from two divas. Ariana Grande and her critically acclaimed fifth studio album “Sweetener.” And Christina Aguilera’s “Liberation.” 5 Seconds Of Summer are having a great year in the states. Their album “Youngblood” debuted at number 1. And the titled song peaked at #7 on the Hot 100. This year was a good year for queer pop as well. Australian pop star Troye Sivan released his 2nd studio album “Bloom.” The titled track and second single off of his latest album is an anthem for power bottoms everywhere. SZA a well known R&B singer was a part of the Black Panther’s soundtrack and released her very first pop song titled “All The Stars” featuring Kendrick Lamar. And perhaps the most interesting collab in Pop music this year, Diplo, Sia and Labrinth. Together they formed LSD. Bellow I added some of the biggest pop songs in 2018.

1. Girls Like You - Maroon 5 ft. Cardi B220px-Girls_like_You_cover.png

2. Thank u, Next - Ariana Grande1541302395_70d9d0dd55951fce6b22f4fe43b9f8d9.jpg

3. No Tears Left To Cry - Ariana Grande220px-Ariana_Grande_No_Tears_Left_to_Cry.png

4. Happier - Marshmello & Bastille220px-Marshmello_and_Bastille_Happier.png

5. The Middle - Zedd, Maren Morris & Greye8c9c7bd6fd4e16da26a4e0dfa6f083e.jpg

6. Never Be The Same - Camilla Cabello220px-Never_Be_the_Same_(Official_Single_Cover)_by_Camila_Cabello.png

7. Without Me - Halseyalbum-art-halsey-without-me.png

8. Youngblood - 5 Seconds Of Summer220px-5_Seconds_of_Summer_Youngblood.png

9. All The Stars - SZA ft. Kendrick Lamar220px-All_the_Stars_Kendrick_Lamar_SZA.jpg

10. God Is A Woman - Ariana Grande220px-God_Is_a_Woman_single_cover.png

I want to point out how pop music is finishing the year strong. Girls Like You (a pop song) was dethroned today by another pop song. Happier is sitting strong at #3 and Halsey is easily going top 5 probably by next week.. What are your thoughts on the state of pop music in 2018. What did you like, what didn’t you like and what do you expect for pop in 2019.

NotMyFlop

!!!! 

2018 for pop has been fantastic. There has been some serious diversity in the charts and it's proving that people are (slowly) getting over the hip-hop/R&B dominance. 

I'm honestly expecting 2019 to be pretty fantastic. I've read rumors that Adele, Britney, Gaga, Rihanna and Beyoncé  will release music to SOME capacity. 

Our (overtly-dragged) newer pop girls I think will help push the momentum too. I think they'll carry pop music (as they always do) but if some pop males like Bieber decide to come into the fray, I think it could add even more oomph into pop's comeback. 

I don't underestimate the power of rap/R&B so I don't have too much hype, but if pop music stans can love each other and avoid petty feuds than we can band together to make sure pop music lives again. 

12 minutes ago, NotMyFlop said:

I'm honestly expecting 2019 to be pretty fantastic. I've read rumors that Adele, Britney, Gaga, Rihanna and Beyoncé  will release music to SOME capacity. 

Our (overtly-dragged) newer pop girls I think will help push the momentum too.

I also believe 2019 will be a great year for pop music. Including the newest acts. I also want to add that Billie Eilish has a lot of potential. I see a star in the making. Idk what type of pop star she’s going to be but I see something in her.

Apart from ASIB this year was dead for me.. even worst than 2017 which I could find like 5 songs that I like

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

• Admin changed the title to Pop in 2018
1 hour ago, River said:

Apart from ASIB this year was dead for me.. even worst than 2017 which I could find like 5 songs that I like

In terms of quality, I agree. I’m more into Hip Hop now for that very reason. However, for the people that were wondering why pop music isn’t charting anymore, the year is finishing strong for them.

raragaga

2 hours ago, Pantera said:

1. Girls Like You - Maroon 5 ft. Cardi B220px-Girls_like_You_cover.png

2. Thank u, Next - Ariana Grande1541302395_70d9d0dd55951fce6b22f4fe43b9f8d9.jpg

3. No Tears Left To Cry - Ariana Grande220px-Ariana_Grande_No_Tears_Left_to_Cry.png

4. Happier - Marshmello & Bastille220px-Marshmello_and_Bastille_Happier.png

5. The Middle - Zedd, Maren Morris & Greye8c9c7bd6fd4e16da26a4e0dfa6f083e.jpg

6. Never Be The Same - Camilla Cabello220px-Never_Be_the_Same_(Official_Single_Cover)_by_Camila_Cabello.png

7. Without Me - Halseyalbum-art-halsey-without-me.png

8. Youngblood - 5 Seconds Of Summer220px-5_Seconds_of_Summer_Youngblood.png

9. All The Stars - SZA ft. Kendrick Lamar220px-All_the_Stars_Kendrick_Lamar_SZA.jpg

10. God Is A Woman - Ariana Grande220px-God_Is_a_Woman_single_cover.png

who are all the people who aren't ariana?? :oprah:

xoxo

20 minutes ago, raragaga said:

who are all the people who aren't ariana?? :oprah:

If you haven’t listened to it, I recommend Youngblood. It’s a really good song

Archived