Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

ASIB reclassified in NZ after complaints

iCpro

Featured Posts

The Chief Censor has added a suicide warning note to the classification of the movie A Star is Born, which is currently screening in New Zealand cinemas, after receiving complaints.

The Office of Film & Literature Classification says Police Victim Support laid a complaint, advising that they responded to two vulnerable young people who had been severely "triggered" by a suicide scene in the film.

The Mental Health Foundation also told the office of a number of complaints.

The Chief Censor, David Shanks required that the warning note be updated to include "suicide" after receiving the complaints.

Mr Shanks says that although A Star is Born handles the topic of suicide relatively sensitively, the Office of Film & Literature Classification felt it was in the best interest of the New Zealand public to add a warning, particularly considering New Zealand’s appalling suicide rate. 

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/chief-censor-alters-star-born-classification-after-complaints-viewer-distress

That’s all well and good but it kinda spoils the film before you even see it :selena:

08, 09, 11, 13, 16, 20

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bradley
Just now, Killa said:

It's still amazing to me how many people dont know the plot of this movie. smh

Why would they know the plot of a movie before they watch it?

The previous iterations of A Star Is Born portrayed the male leads' deaths through accidents, not suicide. Even if they were portrayed the same way, we can't possibly expect the whole public to have seen all previous versions of A Star Is Born which were released decades ago.

PrinceGaga

Tbh I’m surprised it’s only M - I expected it to be R16. I’m all for reclassifying to keep it at M though. Kinda ruins the ending though dddd

1 minute ago, Bradley said:

The previous iterations of A Star Is Born portrayed the male leads' deaths through accidents, not suicide. Even if they were portrayed the same way, we can't possibly expect the whole public to have seen all previous versions of A Star Is Born which were released decades ago.

WAT he drowns himself....

Like i was half kidding of course, and it's ridiculoous cause suicide is real.

homomo
38 minutes ago, Bradley said:

This. I knew nothing of ASIB (old versions) before this one came out

Reid LePage
1 hour ago, Killa said:

1 hour ago, Killa said:

WAT he drowns himself....

Like i was half kidding of course, and it's ridiculoous cause suicide is real.

28 minutes ago, Interstellar said:

This. I knew nothing of ASIB (old versions) before this one came out

okay but uMHHH it's literally not all about the plot, and like a lot different.

new zealand does have some high suicidal rates, as someone who has lived in NZ my entire life, i've had countless of friends commit suicide, and it's a small country too filled with mental health issues. Mental health is a big problem here and it's really sad :( good on them for adding  the warning!

1 hour ago, Killa said:

Cause you know plot to every movie you go see, right?

1 minute ago, Hybrid Rose said:

okay but uMHHH it's literally not all about the plot, and like a lot different.

new zealand does have some high suicidal rates, as someone who has lived in NZ my entire life, i've had countless of friends commit suicide, and it's a small country too filled with mental health issues. Mental health is a big problem here and it's really sad :( good on them for adding  the warning!

okay that is true, sorry.

RAMROD

In a way they have spoiled the film bug time :giggle: but do what you gotta do :sis:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ unknown.. despair.. a lost (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Madam Margolyes
1 hour ago, Bradley said:

Well actually

Spoiler

The accident one was only in 1976 version, it was suicide in 1937 and 1954

True tho, even some people thought it was a lady gaga biopic

Bradley
41 minutes ago, Madam Margolyes said:

Well actually

Reveal hidden contents

The accident one was only in 1976 version, it was suicide in 1937 and 1954

True tho, even some people thought it was a lady gaga biopic

My brother and father asked me if it was Gaga's life story :air:

Glamourpuss

Tbf I think it needed a warning. After I saw it I warned people about the triggering scene.

I didn't know the plot of the movie before I saw it because I avoided spoilers. I didn't even know of the previous incarnations of the film. But when I watched ASIB in the cinema, the suicide scene triggered me. I've attempted suicide in the past and it brought back those depressing feelings that I had and I actually felt like I watched a real life man kill himself. When I left the cinema I had palpitations and was close to a panic attack. 

However, I appreciated the movie even more for having that scene because it was so authentic to me and it made me realise I never want to feel that low again. It was like a wake up call for me. Seeing Jackson Maine kill himself and feeling so helpless as a viewer made me realise the pain that people go through when you die. It inspired me to keep on going and make the most of my life. I would like to watch it again but I'm waiting for a time when I'm a bit stronger mentally, because I am worried that the next time it triggers me it might have a more negative effect. 

Archived