Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is ASIB really that good? (NO SPOILERS)

Taide

Featured Posts

Oriane

It's a good movie, good enough to be an Oscar contender. But it's not the movie of the decade. People won't be talking about it in the future. But for a first movie, it's good and promising.

As for your other question, is it about the story or the style of the movie ?

Apart from the other versions of ASIB, I think Limelight by Charlie Chaplin has a very similar story. The Artist by Michel Hazanavicius too, both in the story and the style, in a tribute to this kind of movie.

Movies that criticize Hollywood, fame, the movie/music industry etc (you will find a lot of classic, older movies in there) :
- What Ever Happened to Baby Jane ?
- All About Eve
- Singin' in the Rain
- Sunset Boulevard
More recent :
- Birdman
- Maps to the Stars
- La La Land

If the question is about the style of the movie, Bradley doesn't really have a defined style yet, a lot of directors could have done the movie the same way. A lot of people noticed that it was reminiscent of Clint Eastwood's movies, he could definitely go there with some practice.
It just looks like a lot of American movies from the last years, with a kind of vintage texture, like Dallas Buyers Club, movies like this. Also, Matthew Libatique worked on the photography for this movie, if you know movies by Darren Aronofsky, you can see his style of shots, colors etc.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didymus

It's very good. A very well made love story that will enchant the romantically inclined :vegas: It's just super charming, and about "real people," it seems, the characters are really realistic and get time to talk realistic dialogue and just develop naturally. Also, it's funny throughout, actually.

I guess it's not for everyone, but I've watched it twice and people were laughing throughout the film, and clearly moved towards the end.

But I don't know, if you have to drag someone to the theater lol. Just let them respond to the trailer and if they really like that, I think you're guaranteed they'll enjoy it.

As for similar movies, it is pretty unique in that it's a bit more folksy, rock 'n' roll, down to earth and realistic than your average romantic drama or musical (which it isn't, really). I've seen a lot of films but I haven't really seen anything like it, personally.

Didymus
15 hours ago, HorusRa2 said:

I think what the “hype” about this movie is about (other than the hymnals that are the soundtrack & the fact that it has beautiful cinematography) is that it makes you feel personally invested in the outcome for the love story & the characters in the film.

Absolutely. Most critics have been raving about how unusual it is for the stereotypical meeting of two lovers in the first part of the film to feel so engaging, realistic, and satisfying.

While I agree with most critics that the second half has serious problems in terms of pacing and writing, I also agree with most of them in pointing out that it's rare to be this emotionally engaged with such a well-known story. It doesn't feel like a repeat, it feels fresh, and that's because of the characters. It's really a character movie, and even the side characters get screen time to affect us emotionally, which is also quite unusual in this genre.

While it's nowhere near the achievement of La La Land, in terms of romantic dramas specifically, it is one of the best out there. And the hype reflects that, and I feel like it's important to remember that. This isn't hype about a musical or a crushing drama. It's a hype about a love story that's just successful in pulling us in and leaving the theater having gone through some serious emotions, though with a very simple story to guide us. And that's all Bradley's achievement.

TheSlash

It's a beautiful movie, but imho it has some pacing issues, especially in the last third :pray: 

Ew, David!

If you love Dramatic Love Stories with Good music, YES!

I don’t like these genres but loved Gaga in it. Seen it 3 times already.

If you're friend doesn't wanna see it, don't bring her. 

I mean, if you have to literally drag her to the film, she shouldn't go 

Plus it's cheaper to go alone.

Archived