💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

WDYDT wasn't meant to be good

Rolodex of Hate

Featured Posts

Rolodex of Hate

I think that although many fans like Why Did You Do That for being catchy, it was actually meant to represent typical mindless mainstream pop music. I actually really like the melodic contour of the verses, but the chorus is obnoxious and horrible; 'Why did you do that do that do that do that do that to me?'. Unlike most of Gaga's songs, it's superficial and talks about things like 'ass' and 'texting', again intending to reflect what we might commonly hear on cheap mainstream pop records.

While I don't feel the intention was to necessarily create a bad song, it was definitely meant to be an archetype of cheap processed music which takes away from who Ally really is as an artist, reinforced by the camera's cut to Jack looking saddened at her development as an artist now in the mainstream realm; such a huge step back from her opening 'La Vie en Rose'.

Just my thoughts :blush:

We have no legal choice but to stan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rolodex of Hate
Just now, California Gold said:

In my post, I said 'the intention wasn't necessarily to create a bad song' - I think it's very well produced, I just think that's it's a good example of cheap mainstream pop, as Diane Warren is a lot better than that chorus.

Xoxo Adriana

definitely not my favourite song off the OST, but it isn't too bad. Today's music is far cheaper than this song. If this is considered Gaga's "worst", then a lot of mainstream artists "best" music is far below this song.

Rolodex of Hate
1 minute ago, Kylie Jenner said:

definitely not my favourite song off the OST, but it isn't too bad. Today's music is far cheaper than this song. If this is considered Gaga's "worst", then a lot of mainstream artists "best" music is far below this song.

I agree, but I wouldn't categorise it as Gaga's worst as I don't think she would ever release anything like it, I think it might be Ally's worst.

tomdsgn
2 minutes ago, Rolodex of Hate said:

In my post, I said 'the intention wasn't necessarily to create a bad song' - I think it's very well produced, I just think that's it's a good example of cheap mainstream pop, as Diane Warren is a lot better than that chorus.

I’d compare it to a song from Ariana Grande’s new album. Cheap current mainstream pop.  :huntyga:

tomdsgn
3 minutes ago, Rolodex of Hate said:

I agree, but I wouldn't categorise it as Gaga's worst as I don't think she would ever release anything like it, I think it might be Ally's worst.

Yeah, it was definitely meant to symbolise Ally getting swallowed up by the pop music machine rather than owning her craft. 

LaMaisonGaga

I like it more than some of her biggest pop songs so that's that on that

giphy.gif

lamaisongaga.com

RadioIsOurs
22 minutes ago, Rolodex of Hate said:

I actually really like the melodic contour of the verses, but the chorus is obnoxious and horrible; 'Why did you do that do that do that do that do that to me?'.

Hey Jude by The Beatles has 4 minutes of just na na na na na na nas, just saying... 

Chickens in Malibu

Yes. It's meant to represent the boring lazy excessive repetition, like this song:

Archived