Taylor Swift Breaks Political Silence, Denounces Marsha Blackburn

monsterboy98

Featured Posts

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
diamondheartxx
21 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I find her timing suspect and it's undeniable that she thought this is exactly what the world wants to hear at such a crucial time and she just gave them what they wanted. But it is admirable that she is starting to speak out after all this time and being specific about what she believes in. I wouldn't normally say that anyone needs to make their political views public (I crave the time when we didn't, actually) but in Taylor's case...she's being idolised as a great Aryan role model by Neo-Nazis. When these are some of your supporters, you have to speak up and denounce them. And that's something that she still hasn't done which is bizarre. Not saying she's on their side but you'd think that slamming Nazis would hardly be a controversial move that could lose fans, right? So why doesn't she say anything about that?

Just want to say that you can support POC without mentioning them in every political moment. I show my support for many causes quietly and just speak up when I need to. Just because I don't highlight every one of them specifically every time I talk about politics doesn't mean I don't care about them. I'm a people pleaser who wants to include everyone, so I'm a lot more general. I think when you choose to be overly specific, it can make the others in that group feel like they don't matter or make those not in that group who have gone through the same issues that you're speaking of, feel underrepresented and it's like you're denying they endure the same things.

Taylor is a celebrity. If she wants people to know that she's supportive of these issues, then she has to say something. No one's going to assume you care if you don't show you do.. Speaking up about the racism people of color go through isn't being exclusive.

StrawberryBlond
7 hours ago, diamondheartxx said:

Taylor is a celebrity. If she wants people to know that she's supportive of these issues, then she has to say something. No one's going to assume you care if you don't show you do.. Speaking up about the racism people of color go through isn't being exclusive.

Agreed, being a celebrity puts you on a different level and there's different standards. But in regards to the second part, while there are definitely some things that only POC go through, I'm talking about the stuff that we're led to believe are race-specific incidents but are actually things that happen to us all. When I see certain people list all the difficulties that POC go through that whites will never have to endure, I always go through it going: "That happened to me, and that, and that, that one happens to me all the time, that one happens to other whites I know..." I'm saying that it's easy to blind yourself to the reality of certain situations and believe that discrimination only happens to oppressed groups when in actual fact, there are some people who are just nasty to everyone and there are all kinds of groups that get oppressed, we shouldn't rank struggle and act like racial discrimination is the worst one. All discrimination should all be treated on the same level as opposed to giving the biggest focus to racial discrimination. It really puts off people who would otherwise be on your side when you seem to not care about their struggle and choose to focus almost exclusively on one struggle instead of looking at all discrimination.

diamondheartxx
1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Agreed, being a celebrity puts you on a different level and there's different standards. But in regards to the second part, while there are definitely some things that only POC go through, I'm talking about the stuff that we're led to believe are race-specific incidents but are actually things that happen to us all. When I see certain people list all the difficulties that POC go through that whites will never have to endure, I always go through it going: "That happened to me, and that, and that, that one happens to me all the time, that one happens to other whites I know..." I'm saying that it's easy to blind yourself to the reality of certain situations and believe that discrimination only happens to oppressed groups when in actual fact, there are some people who are just nasty to everyone and there are all kinds of groups that get oppressed, we shouldn't rank struggle and act like racial discrimination is the worst one. All discrimination should all be treated on the same level as opposed to giving the biggest focus to racial discrimination. It really puts off people who would otherwise be on your side when you seem to not care about their struggle and choose to focus almost exclusively on one struggle instead of looking at all discrimination.

That's the thing, tho. No one ever said  white people can't have a hard time.It's just 9 times out of 10 it's not because they're white. There are specific things people of color go through on a regular basis that white people rarely, if eve, have to go through.

You wouldn't say men are oppressed just because the occasional male gets slack for being male.

StrawberryBlond
On 10/10/2018 at 1:39 AM, diamondheartxx said:

That's the thing, tho. No one ever said  white people can't have a hard time.It'st 9 times out of 10 it's not because they're white. There are specific things people of color go through on a regular basis that white people rarely, if eve, have to go through.

You wouldn't say men are oppressed just because the occasional male gets slack for being male.

I didn't mean that it was because they're white. I meant that everyone goes through problems in general and some issues aren't as race-specific as we're made to believe. I don't think it's right to tell people what they have and haven't gone through based on their race alone. It's very presumptuous and insulting for those who have gone through what you've blatantly told them that they can't. I thought in this day and age, presuming would be the opposite of what we were encouraged to do.

And I never insinuated that white people are oppressed. I just said that we've gone through some of the stuff we apparently can't according to SJWs because so many incidents are actually not always racially motivated. But using your example of men, I may be a feminist but even I realise that men do not have it easy and while they may not be oppressed, they have issues that women don't go through and there's some areas where they have it worse than women. I'm all about fairness and equal standards.

diamondheartxx
18 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I didn't mean that it was because they're white. I meant that everyone goes through problems in general and some issues aren't as race-specific as we're made to believe. I don't think it's right to tell people what they have and haven't gone through based on their race alone. It's very presumptuous and insulting for those who have gone through what you've blatantly told them that they can't. I thought in this day and age, presuming would be the opposite of what we were encouraged to do.

And I never insinuated that white people are oppressed. I just said that we've gone through some of the stuff we apparently can't according to SJWs because so many incidents are actually not always racially motivated. But using your example of men, I may be a feminist but even I realise that men do not have it easy and while they may not be oppressed, they have issues that women don't go through and there's some areas where they have it worse than women. I'm all about fairness and equal standards.

On 10/9/2018 at 5:39 PM, diamondheartxx said:

That's the thing, tho. No one ever said  white people can't have a hard time.It's just 9 times out of 10 it's not because they're white. There are specific things people of color go through on a regular basis that white people rarely, if eve, have to go through.

StrawberryBlond
5 hours ago, diamondheartxx said:

I gather everything you said, I just felt the need to emphasise as I don't think my message is getting through to you.

diamondheartxx
On 10/12/2018 at 2:45 PM, StrawberryBlond said:

I gather everything you said, I just felt the need to emphasise as I don't think my message is getting through to you.

Oh, I get your message, it's just not true.

Archived