💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

The Difference Between New and Veteran Fans

NotMyFlop

Featured Posts

Reality

I don't want to start a veteran vs. new fan kind of debate, but the people who are complaining about Gaga and the things she does are usually from the TF/TFM/BTW eras. People constantly complain about not having "Old Gaga," and how they hate her new direction. They want her to return to what made her popular: the outfits, electronic pop songs, etc. This isn't to say that she may not one day return to all of that (after all, she still wears a lot of avant-garde clothes, and she still presents herself in a very "Gaga" fashion), however, that mentality is what I think separates fans who appreciate Gaga as an artist and those who only like her for a couple of reasons.

That isn't to say that you can't have your own opinion. I'm not saying that by disliking something Gaga does all of a sudden you're a "fake fan." However, what I'm saying is that Gaga is a constantly evolving artist. She will more likely than not, not go back to what she's already done. She likes to be innovative and she likes to create art she enjoys. That changes a lot of the time. Hell, look at how LG6 is [supposedly] coming on. It's full of producers that write electronic pop/PC music. That is such a diversion from Joanne!

Personally, I loved Joanne and I'm really liking the direction she's heading in, but to those who don't, perhaps there's something in the future that you will like an enjoy. People shouldn't be complaining about something that is the very essence of what they are complaining about. To complain that Gaga changes styles and to complain about disliking the fact that she doesn't stay with what you like is like complaining that the sky is blue. 

🃏🖤👹

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I've noted elsewhere, I've been a fan since the day Just Dance was released, and I don't really know what to make of newer fans. They tend to either view everything Gaga does with blind adoration and get angry at anyone who ever offers up a critique OR they nitpick everything that she releases and never seem happy. Overall, though, I don't view them any differently than us original fans. We only start having issues when they try to claim that Gaga's earlier work was vapid or weak. :interestinga: They weren't there, they didn't experience it when it was released accompanied by all of her interviews and her performances, and they don't really get it because of that.

4 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

...that mentality is what I think separates fans who appreciate Gaga as an artist and those who only like her for a couple of reasons.

Accusing the fans who've been here from the start (and have actually watched her musical evolution over several years) of not viewing her as an artist... I truly have to laugh... :messga:

I've been her fan since the first singles became popular. I was the happiest 10 year old! She just brought a new energy and every era she brings a different idea and a better atmosphere than last. Each era her vocals, her performances, her shows get even better than the last one. She's always climbing up in life and I adore her for that. She's the best female performer since her breakthrough. No one can challenge her not even our older music legends

Regina George

I’m fan since like month before her iconic VMAs 2009 performance and the only problem I have with new fans is that they seem to forget her before stuff and undergrade it. For example people who joined during C2C era seem to want Gaga only to do and record jazz music. And they always drag pop/rock/electro music fans because “they want Gaga to do stuff that requires more talent”.. 

Reality
1 minute ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

Accusing the fans who've been here from the start (and have actually watched her musical evolution over several years) of not viewing her as an artist... I truly have to laugh... :messga:

If Gaga were an essay, her thesis would be "I'm an ever-changing and evolving artist." What I meant by that statement is that I think sometimes people don't recognize that. I'm not saying that all veteran fans view her that way, but there are some who do, and those are the people I'm talking to.

I've seen countless times people wanting her to go back to "Old Gaga," bringing back "Dark pop"—whatever that even really means—etc.  If you read the post you know that I said that it's fine to have certain opinions, but to complain about her not wanting to go back to whatever you want is ridiculous.

🃏🖤👹

8 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

If Gaga were an essay, her thesis would be "I'm an ever-changing and evolving artist." What I meant by that statement is that I think sometimes people don't recognize that. I'm not saying that all veteran fans view her that way, but there are some who do, and those are the people I'm talking to.

I've seen countless times people wanting her to go back to "Old Gaga," bringing back "Dark pop"—whatever that even really means—etc.  If you read the post you know that I said that it's fine to have certain opinions, but to complain about her not wanting to go back to whatever you want is ridiculous.

Maybe I was too quick with responding. I just see a lot of little Joannesters who just got here mock original fans and her original work constantly on this site in an effort to lift up her later stuff and it's really irritating. We've got the context! We've seen all of the interviews and all of the performances and we watched her change in real time! We know who she is and what her artistry means better than any other fan could! It's just hilarious to see people attempt to accuse the stans that bought into her artistic MO from the jump labeled as "fake fans," in essence, if they ever offer up any criticism for something that she does. Not that I'm saying that you were saying that.

I'm not one of those people that wants her to keep making the same album over and over again. I just want whatever she puts out to be great, regardless of genre. 

Saint Laurent

I think the problem with us 'veteran' fans is the difference in age between us and Gaga.

Both we and Gaga were young during TF/TFM/BTW. Now Gaga is more mature, but we're still quite young and so we still expect a young energy that she just isn't able to give anymore.

I also think that us veteran fans have truly seen how Gaga can change the pop music scene and we always keep hope in our hearts that she can one day save it again. Only, she never does.

Something that Gaga has lost with age, in my opinion, is her rebellious spirit. 

I also don't think she's as passionate about her music as she once was because she is jaded by her experience of fame.

Reginald

I snatched my own wig when I realized I've been obsessed with Gaga for 10 years. That's a massive chunk of my lifetime, dear god

Reality
7 minutes ago, OG Gaga Stan said:

Maybe I was too quick with responding. I just see a lot of little Joannesters who just got here mock original fans and her original work constantly on this site in an effort to lift up her later stuff and it's really irritating. We've got the context! We've seen all of the interviews and all of the performances and we watched her change in real time! We know who she is and what her artistry means better than any other fan could! It's just hilarious to see people attempt to accuse the stans that bought into her artistic MO from the jump labeled as "fake fans," in essence, if they ever offer up any criticism for something that she does. Not that I'm saying that you were saying that.

I'm not one of those people that wants her to keep making the same album over and over again. I just want whatever she puts out to be great, regardless of genre. 

I, personally, have not seen very many people mocking original fans. I have seen people "mock" or "discredit" her original work though, and to that, I agree that it isn't cool to downplay all of that. Every part of Gaga's career should be equal. Her career's direction is equal but different, not "'x' is better than 'y'." 

That said, I disagree with you when it comes to understanding her art. I have been a fan since ARTPOP, and I think I have a pretty good idea of her past art. Sure, I'm not as knowledgeable as other people when it comes to eras like TF/TFM or even BTW, but that doesn't mean that I can't understand her art as easily as someone who has experienced those two-three eras. The main idea though is that Gaga's going to evolve, grow, and change. There's no need to say "This type of fan is better than this other type of fan." People come and people go (in terms of the fanbase), that's just how it goes. 

🃏🖤👹

Diamond Monster

I first started liking Gaga back in 2009 and I can remember replaying Telephone and Judas back in 2010-11. However, I was only a fan, not a stan. I guess I started stanning  the same day PI came out. That would mean I'm a stan since 2016 so am I a new fan or....?

PrincessGUY

I remember Just Dance and TF’s singles being everywhere but not paying much attention (I was more into metal at the time), but the 2009 VMAs pulled me in and Bad Romance came like a month later and made me stan :vegas:

GypsyBabe

I’ve been a fan since the beginning but only have been involved in her internet fanbase since Joanne. I guess I am disheartened by the negativity. For some of the older and newer fans, it goes beyond critique. 

I also believe that with some of the newer fans, it is not simply blind adoration. This current Gaga is their Gaga. Current era is what they fell in love with so it is not surprising that they enjoy her as she is now. Veterans can understand that initial love of finding her and her music. 

Ultimately there is a lot of online bullying towards Gaga from veteran and new monsters which is kind of a bummer. I mean, I didn’t like her recent red carpet look, but didn’t feel the need to trash it to the heavens on here. I just let it be.

⚯͛

HorusRa2

I think the biggest thing is that old fans are drained from newer fans constant whining about x or y. 

I think newer fans should be embraced for their enthusiasm. 

Newer fans should acknowledge that those of us who have been around and endured the past (both glorious and painful) we love Gaga too. It’s just that a very vocal minority have become little “managers.” 

Archived