Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

But What IS Vox Lux?

DitaDolla

Featured Posts

DitaDolla

I mean, I saw the teaser and the talks about natalie playing a pop star like Gaga.

But what is this film about?

I don't get it:selena::air:

Regina George

I thought it’s her character’s name in the movie but apparently it’s not..

Yes any more info about this movie would be appreciated. That teaser told us literally nothing.

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

Carpet Shark

I'll just quote from a review by Peter Howell:

Spoiler

Vox Lux opens with an all-too-common scene of a school shooting, in which a teenage Celeste (Raffey Cassidy) barely survives a bloody massacre that will alter her life and forever haunt her.

As part of her recovery, she begins writing songs, one of which becomes a hit and establishes her as America’s new pop sweetheart. But then, an hour into the film, the story skips ahead 20 years, with Portman now playing the grown-up Celeste, and it’s evident that the years — along with the machinations of her scuzzball manager (Jude Law) and the world’s relentless determination to destroy all that is good — have turned her into almost an avatar of her own life, a liquored-up and lacquered goddess who makes great videos and who performs to sold-out crowds but who has absolutely nothing to say.

“I don’t want people to have to think too hard. I just want them to feel good,” Celeste says at one point.

Perhaps to prove the point, real pop diva Sia has contributed a brace of songs for Portman’s Celeste to sing that are so vapid, they may well have been written with smoke.

The film’s title is taken from an album Celeste is half-heartedly recording which will consist of what she mockingly refers to as “sci-fi anthems.”

Celeste is so caught up in wrecking her own life, she hasn’t been much of a mom to her teenage daughter, who, in an interesting casting decision, is also played by Raffey Cassidy.

Celeste also takes a callous show-must-go-on attitude when she first learns that a terror attack half a world away may have been inspired by one of her videos.

Vox Lux ends with Celeste doing her best Gaga impression, in a lengthy concert finale where a fully dolled-up Portman actually seems to be enjoying herself — ironically the most over-the-top but also most honest part of the movie.

58 minutes ago, Carpet Shark said:

I'll just quote from a review by Peter Howell:

Hide contents

Vox Lux opens with an all-too-common scene of a school shooting, in which a teenage Celeste (Raffey Cassidy) barely survives a bloody massacre that will alter her life and forever haunt her.

As part of her recovery, she begins writing songs, one of which becomes a hit and establishes her as America’s new pop sweetheart. But then, an hour into the film, the story skips ahead 20 years, with Portman now playing the grown-up Celeste, and it’s evident that the years — along with the machinations of her scuzzball manager (Jude Law) and the world’s relentless determination to destroy all that is good — have turned her into almost an avatar of her own life, a liquored-up and lacquered goddess who makes great videos and who performs to sold-out crowds but who has absolutely nothing to say.

“I don’t want people to have to think too hard. I just want them to feel good,” Celeste says at one point.

Perhaps to prove the point, real pop diva Sia has contributed a brace of songs for Portman’s Celeste to sing that are so vapid, they may well have been written with smoke.

The film’s title is taken from an album Celeste is half-heartedly recording which will consist of what she mockingly refers to as “sci-fi anthems.”

Celeste is so caught up in wrecking her own life, she hasn’t been much of a mom to her teenage daughter, who, in an interesting casting decision, is also played by Raffey Cassidy.

Celeste also takes a callous show-must-go-on attitude when she first learns that a terror attack half a world away may have been inspired by one of her videos.

Vox Lux ends with Celeste doing her best Gaga impression, in a lengthy concert finale where a fully dolled-up Portman actually seems to be enjoying herself — ironically the most over-the-top but also most honest part of the movie.

not sure how I feel about the implications here. On one hand....sure, it's vapid. On the other hand, Gaga's work isn't and I know people will make tons of comparisons. 

Regardless this movie seems like an amazing story that Portman will slay as always. 

nerdfacekillah
7 minutes ago, NathanRajz said:

No one answered:selena:

WHAT THE F**K IS THE MOVIE ABOUT

its an american music drama film according to google. search about it.

If you don’t have any shadows, you’re not standing in the light.

OMonster
3 minutes ago, NathanRajz said:

In my (limited) understanding, the film is about an artist that becomes a star after encountering a terrorist attack during her younger years. It is this terrorist attack that inspires her writing, with one of the songs eventually becoming a hit. 

As her career progresses however, the artist becomes very nonchalant about everything and doesn't want to put any pain, opinion or message in her music. She becomes obsessed with providing vapid escapism for her fans, and she doesn't want to give them anything deep to think about. 

The artist loses any identity and opinion (beyond her 'star' persona), even turning a blind eye to a later terrorist attack that seems inspired by one of her own, violent music videos. 

I guess it's a film that explains how fame can lead artists into losing their identity and becoming obsessed with creating catchy pop tunes - as opposed to have an opinion and putting something valuable into the world. 

Vox Lux = an album the singer releases which is particularly vapid and void of any true substance. 

subtext / fantasy

Carpet Shark
15 minutes ago, NathanRajz said:

Meh, didn't you read the spoilers? I'll ELYF: talented kid narrowly escapes a bloody massacre, is discovered, gets sucked into the Pop Machine. Twenty years later she is a dissipated, embittered, black hole of a soulless pop star...

Shorter: fame and the pop industry eat people up and turn them into human effluvia. Or something.

It sounds really interesting to me, and like it could make a pointed statement on society's treatment of artists and response to shootings. Unfortunate that I have heard that it's too edgy for its own good and hamfisted in its satire. 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

Luv u Sum

Does anyone know when tf ur comes out to the public so I can watch it??? I googled it and tried different searches to figure it out but all its saying is that I came out on the 4th cuz that's when it premiered in venice.... I wanna see this movie but its irritating the lack of information about this film besides a 40 second clip of her walking and a couple press conferences.. theres like nothing about this movie on the internet and I'm confused :selena:

Luv u Sum
Just now, Carpet Shark said:

No release date yet because the movie didn't find a buyer until TIFF.

:laughga: so is it going to be a while then? 

Archived