💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Can Mariah Succeed Again?

rumours

Featured Posts

darkchylde

in my head she's the less interesting version of cher so, no. there's little to no hype about her anymore and it feels like every song of hers sounds the same.

this sounds awful but i say it with no malice: she needs to reinvent herself from being a token diva for 40-ish gay men

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DimitrisARTPOP

She did it with #Beautiful, a top 20 hit and multi-platinum single in the US, top 10 in 6 countries and 2,3 million copies sold worldwide, 60 mil views from all the #Beautiful videos and 65 mil streams
It was big in US radio but after her injury the promo stopped. The song had so much potential.

It's sad how many people call her music 'sounding the same' yet haven't checked out her full catalogue to understand her artistry. Unlike others, Mariah puts her heart into her music - which of course doesn't always mean commercial success. GTFO, as a Buzz Single, has been doing what it should do - created Buzz around her. She did amazingly well on iTunes and other Websites where music is being sold - the best since 4 years in some. Mariah is already 28 years into her career, she doesn't have much streaming power since usually the sexism in the Public makes it difficult for any Artist 40+ to have amazing streams - but she has loyal fans and listeners that buy her Single. Depending on if she stays putting a modern twist on her Sound a la GTFO, I think that a Hit could be incoming with 'With You' - the first Single off the Album. It just depends on how her teams plays her cards and adjusts to the Streaming Era, since her Digital Sales are quite nice. 

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

rumours
19 minutes ago, Saint Jude said:

in my head she's the less interesting version of cher so, no.

I really don’t think there music sounds similar at all. Is the comparison your making stemming from them both being popular in the LGBT community?

ChromaticPrincess

I would really like her to. But as most ppl here are saying, she kinda needs to shake things up a bit in order to cause actual interest. She’s already a legend so she has that she just needs that little extra pizzazz to get a hit. Maybe if she has  a Ray Of Light/Believe kind of album then she definitely can at least score a Top 10. 

✨oh the lights dim while we’re dancing yeah the floor is shaking in this disco heaven✨

She had her second wind with the Emc2, so I am not sure, third wind are hard to come by, man!!

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

darkchylde
18 minutes ago, Rumours1977 said:

I really don’t think there music sounds similar at all. Is the comparison your making stemming from them both being popular in the LGBT community?

obviously their music doesn't sound the same but they both have very distinctive sounds and are loved by similar demographics. what im trying to say is that while both are "outdated" in their sounds and personas, Cher is still hyped and has some kind of global following while Mariah is barely remembered outside of a Christmas charol.

also i don't think they're both popular in the LGBT community. Cher is. Mariah's popularity lays strictly on white gay cis men (nothing wrong with it) while Cher is more of a broadly queer icon for.

darkchylde
37 minutes ago, Noah said:

It's sad how many people call her music 'sounding the same' yet haven't checked out her full catalogue to understand her artistry.

Do I really have to listen to someone's entire catalogue to understand their work?

Like many others (i.e. Lana del Rey) Mariah has an specific sound she's repeated often. It's not a bad thing. Obviously a few songs stand aside, but it's not the norm.

Other artists, like Gaga, choose to constantly "experiment" with their sound. Both are legit, it just depends on how you wanna build your career.

JohnWayne92
1 hour ago, androiduser said:

doubt it, to be honest... she's been doing the same sound for years and it's just not working for her anymore. Sure, the song went to #1 on itunes for a couple of hours, as is the case with most pop divas, but this won't mean much in the big picture.

THIS!!!! The last time she was REALLY successful was with We Belong Together and the MiMi album. She should have switched up the sound way before now, not that she has or anything 🙄 

She needs to work with better song writers and producers too. 

artRaver

I mean, it's definitely possible but I don't think she can succeed off of singles like "GTFO".

It's cute and all so the general population will eat it up for the short moment, but it's forgettable to me. Especially knowing it was an already existing instrumental with a few drum beats thrown on top of it.

Spoiler

I liked #Beautiful and Infinity more.:selena:

✿ cherry blossom girl ✿

RadioIsOurs

She needs a song that has a modern style of production, but still has her classic flair to it in terms of vocals, melodies, harmonies etc. Perhaps a feature with a popular artist can help too. 

If she released a song a la The Cure, I think it would do reasonably well. Slower songs like GTFO just don't take off as well as they used to, and I don't think she's really kept up with the times :oops:

Although the video makes for some good reaction gifs :ohwell:

giphy.gif

...ıllıllı c h e r r y c h e r r y b o o m b o o m ıllıllı...

Midnightrush891

I think she can, people are so quick to disregard her accomplishments these days. I know I bought the single off iTunes, been streaming on Spotify, and replaying the video. Hopefully the rest of her fans are riding for her just as hard. 

If anything Mariah did well in the past was keeping her sound current and relevant. Which is why in terms of relevancy she surpassed Queen Whitney and Queen Celine. Because her sound was always current. 

So to answer your question, I think she could succeed again. But it'll be harder than it ever was before due to what was already said, the current state of music, newer generation of music listeners, ageism etc. She was doubted before when she went on some hiatus (was it before Emancipation of Mimi?), then she came back with fire and was the #1 during that time. All she really needs to do is switch things up with her sound, keep things current like what she's done before, and work with Jermaine Dupri. Oh and promo the hell out of herself lol. 

I just know she still has it in her, and I'm in full support for a Legend, or any legend for that matter to make a comeback :party:

WhiteWitch
3 hours ago, Rumours1977 said:

So, GTFO was released recently, and I started to wonder... Is Mariah capable of making another comeback (a la TEOM)?

1483458459-comebacks.gif?crop=1xw:1.0xh;

In all seriousness, do y’all think so?

What do you think are realistic expectations for this era (commercially)?

tenor.gif?itemid=10369193

Has she fully recovered with the GP after the infamous NYE fiasco, or is that gonna bleed into this era?

gallery-1483460526-gettyimages-630749452

Discuss

I think she has a huuugggeee image issue she needs to work on before that happens. It always seems that the star begins to dull when the diva sets in

Archived