đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

The Ringer: SOPHIE Could Be the Next Big Sound in Pop

TheAlpha

Featured Posts

TheAlpha

The producer and artist just needs pop music to take the leap. And her work with Charli XCX and Vince Staples, a rumored collaboration with Lady Gaga could take her enigmatic, industrial sound into the mainstream.

In early July, Sophie confirmed to a fan that a collaboration with Lady Gaga was in the works. And Gaga, who has often explored similar themes of personal fluidity (“Born This Way” is basically the anthem for living outside of structure), is a perfect entry point for Sophie to penetrate the collective pop consciousness. Plus, Gaga, like Vince, isn’t afraid to toy with expectations of what her sound should be, and after the lukewarm response to Joanne:laughga:, she’d benefit from a sonic reinvention.

Sophie’s work with Vince Staples on “Samo” and the Kendrick Lamar–assisted “Yeah Right,” both from Staples’s 2017 release, Big Fish Theory, marked the first time she received a stamp of approval from a mainstream hip-hop artist.

In research compiled by the Pudding, the past decade has seen a decrease in musical diversity among hit songs. The top 10 producers in number of hits (think Max Martin, Dr. Luke, Shellback) were responsible for 43 percent of top five Billboard hits from 2010 to 2014. The figure was less than half of that 30 years ago. The number of people making songs played on the radio has gotten smaller, so why stray from a tried-and-true producer? But if pop is looking for an antidote to its growing uniformity, Sophie is standing right there.

Change can’t happen without a radical and progressives closer to center accepting that radical. As Sophie continues to innovate, and her wider acceptance continues to expand, hopefully music will unbind from molds in favor of something new, deconstructed from what we already know.

https://www.theringer.com/music/2018/8/23/17771304/sophie-charli-xcx-lady-gaga-producer-artist

You know this is just my opinion, right?

TheAlpha

Vince Staples tried. Charli XCX has been trying. Could Gaga be the one to make SOPHIE's sound mainstream? It only takes that one person to make a sound successful.

aaronyoji

wow listening to vince staples work with sophie rn. but yeah sophie is the future of pop. its pop reinvented with a punch of irony, nostalgia for bubblegum pop choruses of the early 2000s, but reimagined for a hyper evolving pop cultural landscape in 2018. 

Ziggy
16 minutes ago, aaronyoji said:

wow listening to vince staples work with sophie rn. but yeah sophie is the future of pop. its pop reinvented with a punch of irony, nostalgia for bubblegum pop choruses of the early 2000s, but reimagined for a hyper evolving pop cultural landscape in 2018. 

Agreed. It’s also so quick and cutting that it breaks through the problem of short attention spans. I’m only scared to know what comes after :laughga:

TheAlpha
15 minutes ago, aaronyoji said:

Yea, I remember listening to that Vince Staples song and now I found out SOPHIE worked on it. Maybe this is what the pop girls need to make their way back to mainstream.

aaronyoji
3 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Agreed. It’s also so quick and cutting that it breaks through the problem of short attention spans. I’m only scared to know what comes after :laughga:

haha exactly,y its giving us what we want before we know we want it. 

charlie xcx really deserves props for working with sophie, she was kinda ahead of the whole game. her vroom vroom ep today 2.5 years later is still like nothing else. 

aaronyoji
4 minutes ago, TheAlpha said:

Yea, I remember listening to that Vince Staples song and now I found out SOPHIE worked on it. Maybe this is what the pop girls need to make their way back to mainstream.

and knowing a hip hop artist is willing to branch out and work with her says a lot! it really opens doors.

I don't see it. Her music isn't melodious enough and sounds like an amalgamation of noise put together for the sake of being "left field" and "different". And tho I know there is clearly a market for ppl who enjoy that type of music I don't see it sticking and growing to that level.

TheAlpha
Just now, dit said:

I don't see it. Her music isn't melodious enough and sounds like an amalgamation of noise put together for the sake of being "left field" and "different". And tho I know there is clearly a market for ppl who enjoy that type of music I don't see it sticking and growing to that level.

But we have to wait and see what Gaga can do with that sound. Gaga's job now is to make it mainstream. Maybe she'll give it the touch that it needs?

Hoeanne

Also: please join me in praying that the Sophie collab is Gaga's next #1 hit. If working with a cis pop star is the only way to bring an openly trans producer to the top of the charts Gaga is probably the best person to do it.

Hoeanne
3 minutes ago, dit said:

I understand your concerns but I feel like the same has been said about every genre that changed pop music in the past. Besides, lets not pretend that melody has anything do do with success in the age of Drake and the Migos lol

10 minutes ago, Hoeanne said:

I understand your concerns but I feel like the same has been said about every genre that changed pop music in the past. Besides, lets not pretend that melody has anything do do with success in the age of Drake and the Migos lol

Melody has everything to do with their success actually. Their lyrical content is what is horrible and their delivery is poor compared to rappers of the past but it is the melody of their songs which carry them. This is why popular music has been in a pretty bad place lately since the artist is too dependent on the producer / DJ and the way the music flows / sounds. This is also why we are experiencing the rise of the popular DJs and producers when it comes to the GP because the GP is starting to get more interested in the ppl who actually make the melodies and production of the songs they hear and enjoy. The artist him/herself is highly disposable. Additionally the comment about other trends taking off with doubters is true however with most of recent musical trends you will find a common denominator which is MELODY being at the forefront. Melody is what makes music easier to digest for the masses which then becomes "the next big sound". But I know what you are saying and respect your opinion ofcourse. 

Archived