Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Zendaya rumored to play Ariel in Live action Little mermaid movie

Borislshere

Featured Posts

elijahfan
On 8/23/2018 at 2:59 AM, ryanripley said:

ariel is a 2d cartoon, who does look like her? :messga:

Well, for starters: Alyssa Milano, since she was the original reference for Ariel's appearance :oops:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
illySpencer
13 minutes ago, Borislshere said:

In a movie with singing animals, mermaids and sea witches, this is your concern?? LMAO BYE

Well di you said the same thing if Snow White will be play be a black woman ??? LMAO BYE ! 

ryanripley
Just now, elijahfan said:

Well, for starters: Alyssa Milano, since she was the original reference for Ariel's appearance :oops:

but that's one person who was a child in the 80s and is now too old to play her :triggered: 

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

illySpencer
1 minute ago, elijahfan said:

+ Sherri Stoner, don't forget her ! 

ryanripley
2 minutes ago, illySpencer said:

Well di you said the same thing if Snow White will be play be a black woman ??? LMAO BYE ! 

snow white is debatable because one of her iconic features is her white as snow skin

however, ariel's race isn't important to the story so she can easily be played by a black person

disney designed her white because it was the 80s, the first black disney princess didn't come around until 2009

think about that

Borislshere
1 minute ago, illySpencer said:

This isn’t Snow White though is it? :huntyga:

illySpencer
1 minute ago, ryanripley said:

snow white is debatable because one of her iconic features is her white as snow skin

however, ariel's race isn't important to the story so she can easily be played by a black person

Like i said, there is no sun in the water, no sun no melanin in the body cells/skin (and melanin are responsible of the color of the skin). At least mermaids should be withe or grey !  

ryanripley
Just now, illySpencer said:

Like i said, there is no sun in the water, no sun no melanin in the body cells/skin (and melanin are responsible of the color of the skin). At least mermaids should be withe or grey !  

but they could be black as a way to hide from predators if you want to inject science into a totally fictional movie with singing animals in it

there's fish who are dark colours to hide from predators within coral so why can't mermaids have evolved the same way? also ariel doesn't live in the DEEP sea, she's near enough the surface for the sun to keep the water lit up

illySpencer
4 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

but they could be black as a way to hide from predators if you want to inject science into a totally fictional movie with singing animals in it

there's fish who are dark colours to hide from predators within coral so why can't mermaids have evolved the same way? also ariel doesn't live in the DEEP sea, she's near enough the surface for the sun to keep the water lit up

A mermaid is half fish half human. So no, her skin couldn't be black in the sea. And it's not because Ariel goes in the surface that she will turn into a black skin, I assume when you go under the sun during a long time, your skin doesn't turn into black... 

+ there is a reason why the meat of fish are white ... 

ryanripley

A mermaid is half fish half human. So no, her skin couldn't be black in the sea. And it's not because Ariel goes in the surface that she will turn into a black skin, I assume when you go under the sun during a long time, your skin doesn't turn into black... 

but it could turn dark as a defence mechanism over time caused by evolution since they'll be able to hide from dangerous sea creatures easier amongst shadows and rocks, the sun isn't the only reason for darker skin

like how brown bears evolved into polar bears in the arctic continents

illySpencer
8 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

but it could turn dark as a defence mechanism over time caused by evolution since they'll be able to hide from dangerous sea creatures easier amongst shadows and rocks, the sun isn't the only reason for darker skin

like how brown bears evolved into polar bears in the arctic continents

See that article honey, no black mermaid ! https://nerdist.com/if-the-little-mermaid-evolved-under-different-seas/

ryanripley

a dark skinned mermaid is still possible though :oops: 

i mean, this link just proves she can any colour she wants so there's no need for her to be white which is what you're arguing

illySpencer
1 minute ago, ryanripley said:

a dark skinned mermaid is still possible though :oops: 

i mean, this link just proves she can any colour she wants so there's no need for her to be white which is what you're arguing

Except it explain scientifically... Well i stop here. 

Shipper

Gaga better be Ursula or at least a drag queen will be very fitting!

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

TheodoreRx
7 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I just said in my post that dye and wigs are fine, but it only makes sense if it's a white person utilising those things because only white people can have red hair. If anyone else has red hair, it's so obviously fake, so the point is lost. There's certainly no hair dye under the sea so it would make no sense that Ariel could be a black girl with dyed hair. Oh, and she's got blue eyes too. I have no problem with Zendaya being black and I have no problem with black actors playing black characters or even characters whose race is never mentioned. But just like they want the race of black characters preserved, as they do all POC characters, why shouldn't white characters be granted the same respect? Red hair is already diverse. Why is it considered ok to replace diversity with another kind of diversity? Part of the reason why we like certain things preserved is because they're rare and with only 2% of the world's population having red hair and the fact it will die out one day, makes it the definition of rare, thus, should be respected and allowed a chance to shine.

So, when a white person plays the role of a white character, it's predictable, but when a black actor plays a black character, it's considered the most normal thing in the world, the right thing to do, a beautiful thing? You can hardly expect to have your standard taken seriously if it's so clearly transparent.

And this is another tactic - saying that the movie isn't about race or culture, so the race of the main character is irrelevant and interchangeable. You'd never say this for a movie with a black cast that didn't have a focus on race or culture either. Suddenly, regardless of the subject matter, a black character becomes completely defined by their race in media, according to you. But white people are not. If you're going to have a standard, you've got to apply it to all so it makes sense. White people are currently being told that their race is very relevant in their day to day life but apparently, in movies, it means nothing at all? And as far as the location of the movie, it was based on Hans Christian Andersen's original fairytale, which was set in Denmark, hence why there is a statue of The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen:

Reveal hidden contents

Copenhagen_-_the_little_mermaid_statue_-

Ariel's look was based on a very common Danish look. You'll notice in many depictions of mermaids throughout art, a lot of them are redheaded or blonde as well, as that's the general perception of what they are from the myths. As for the movie's location, well, it clearly isn't Denmark, it looks too tropical, there are palm trees on land and the characters have American (and in Sebastian's case, Jamaican) accents. Personally, I assumed it to be the Dominican Republic given the time period, and the fact there was a prince who owned the land. But that's ultimately irrelevant as when Americans take a piece of literature and make it into film, they nearly always reimagine it with American actors and American settings, so it was already changed as it was.

I'm not trying to say that it's on the same level of properly marginalised groups, but what else was I supposed to call it? I guess "underpresented" would have fitted better, admittedly. Maybe both of you can't quite understand because neither of you have red hair and don't know what it's like to be teased for it, told to change it, be told it's ugly?

Zendaya is biracial and could have red hair, it's just extremely rare. And this is a mermaid, a fictional being. 

Archived