Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Zendaya rumored to play Ariel in Live action Little mermaid movie

Borislshere

Featured Posts

Borislshere
2 minutes ago, PMKKARDASHiAN said:

Ariana or don’t remake it at all. 

TLM is my favorite Disney movie and my anxiety is too high for them to be playing with the casting like this 

I've been a life long fan of The Little Mermaid and Ariana would be worse than Zendaya. It's too predictable. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ryanripley

tell me i did not just see someone talking about red head representation.........

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

PMKKARDASHiAN
2 minutes ago, Borislshere said:

I've been a life long fan of The Little Mermaid and Ariana would be worse than Zendaya. It's too predictable. 

Is it predictable because it makes sense?

who would you suggest? I’m genuinely curious and not trying to be shady at all. 

Borislshere

And the fact that people are b*tching about this decision as if The movies focus was on the characters race/culture. No where in the film did they focus on the fact that Ariel was white. The location of the original movie wasn't even officially confirmed. 

She's a mermaid. The live Action Ariel could be all green for as far as accuracy goes. 

Borislshere
9 minutes ago, PMKKARDASHiAN said:

Is it predictable because it makes sense?

who would you suggest? I’m genuinely curious and not trying to be shady at all. 

It's only predictable because Ariana walked around like this for half of her career

gettyimages-139186763.jpg

It's not surprising that people would see a white girl with red hair and automatically want her to be Ariel(check all of the Madelaine Petsch post). People have been making the comparison since Ariana came out onto the scene. That's why I find it predictable.

In my opinion, I wish they would've made the film 10 years ago and had Gaga as Ariel. I know that would be no where near possible but I feel like she is the only person that truly embodies Ariel as a character and her views. I'm totally fine with Zendaya as long as she can embody Ariels true character. 

The "live action" Ariel used in Once upon a Time was horrible IMO

latest?cb=20150331011706

Her character was completely different. So as long as they don't go that route with this new film, I think things will be fine. 

PMKKARDASHiAN
1 minute ago, Borislshere said:

It's only predictable because Ariana walked around like this for half of her career

gettyimages-139186763.jpg

It's not surprising that people would see a white girl with red hair and automatically want her to be Ariel. People have been making the comparison since Ariana came out onto the scene. That's why I find it predictable.

In my opinion, I wish they would've made the film 10 years ago and had Gaga as Ariel. I know that would be no where near possible but I feel like she is the only person that truly embodies Ariel as a character and her views. I'm totally fine with Zendaya as long as she can embody Ariels true character. 

The "live action" Ariel used in Once upon a Time was horrible IMO

latest?cb=20150331011706

Her character was completely different. So as long as they don't go that route with this new film, I think things will be fine. 

I didn’t follow ariana until The Way came out, so the red headed ariana I have no reference to, but visually, ariana looks the age, and vocally, I think she would excel (if the live action is a musical). 

And as much as I like Gaga I personally don’t see her as Ariel either. And I would love if current Gaga were cast as Ursula for example, but it’s not a good fit either. 

JusticeforVenus

No, never in my life, dont make me hate my fave movie. I dislike Zendaya, she Is so fake... 

HosedDownGypsy

idk i dont like zendaya, seems very artifical and overrated:ohwell:

RAIN ON ME

StrawberryBlond
1 hour ago, Borislshere said:

I can't believe there are people crying about hair color as if wigs/hair dye don't exist and haven't been used in Hollywood/the world for centuries. Just admit you don't like it cause she's black and move on with your day. Jesus Christ. GGD is truly the 4chan of the Stan community at times.

I just said in my post that dye and wigs are fine, but it only makes sense if it's a white person utilising those things because only white people can have red hair. If anyone else has red hair, it's so obviously fake, so the point is lost. There's certainly no hair dye under the sea so it would make no sense that Ariel could be a black girl with dyed hair. Oh, and she's got blue eyes too. I have no problem with Zendaya being black and I have no problem with black actors playing black characters or even characters whose race is never mentioned. But just like they want the race of black characters preserved, as they do all POC characters, why shouldn't white characters be granted the same respect? Red hair is already diverse. Why is it considered ok to replace diversity with another kind of diversity? Part of the reason why we like certain things preserved is because they're rare and with only 2% of the world's population having red hair and the fact it will die out one day, makes it the definition of rare, thus, should be respected and allowed a chance to shine.

So, when a white person plays the role of a white character, it's predictable, but when a black actor plays a black character, it's considered the most normal thing in the world, the right thing to do, a beautiful thing? You can hardly expect to have your standard taken seriously if it's so clearly transparent.

And the fact that people are b*tching about this decision as if The movies focus was on the characters race/culture. No where in the film did they focus on the fact that Ariel was white. The location of the original movie wasn't even officially confirmed. 

She's a mermaid. The live Action Ariel could be all green for as far as accuracy goes. 

And this is another tactic - saying that the movie isn't about race or culture, so the race of the main character is irrelevant and interchangeable. You'd never say this for a movie with a black cast that didn't have a focus on race or culture either. Suddenly, regardless of the subject matter, a black character becomes completely defined by their race in media, according to you. But white people are not. If you're going to have a standard, you've got to apply it to all so it makes sense. White people are currently being told that their race is very relevant in their day to day life but apparently, in movies, it means nothing at all? And as far as the location of the movie, it was based on Hans Christian Andersen's original fairytale, which was set in Denmark, hence why there is a statue of The Little Mermaid in Copenhagen:

Spoiler

Copenhagen_-_the_little_mermaid_statue_-

Ariel's look was based on a very common Danish look. You'll notice in many depictions of mermaids throughout art, a lot of them are redheaded or blonde as well, as that's the general perception of what they are from the myths. As for the movie's location, well, it clearly isn't Denmark, it looks too tropical, there are palm trees on land and the characters have American (and in Sebastian's case, Jamaican) accents. Personally, I assumed it to be the Dominican Republic given the time period, and the fact there was a prince who owned the land. But that's ultimately irrelevant as when Americans take a piece of literature and make it into film, they nearly always reimagine it with American actors and American settings, so it was already changed as it was.

1 hour ago, PopMonstre said:

ARE YOU SAYING REDHEADS ARE MARGINALIZED ??????SKSKDJSKFKJFDSKJF  :lmao:

1 hour ago, ryanripley said:

tell me i did not just see someone talking about red head representation.........

I'm not trying to say that it's on the same level of properly marginalised groups, but what else was I supposed to call it? I guess "underpresented" would have fitted better, admittedly. Maybe both of you can't quite understand because neither of you have red hair and don't know what it's like to be teased for it, told to change it, be told it's ugly?

ryanripley
1 minute ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I'm not trying to say that it's on the same level of properly marginalised groups, but what else was I supposed to call it? I guess "underpresented" would have fitted better, admittedly. Maybe both of you can't quite understand because neither of you have red hair and don't know what it's like to be teased for it, told to change it, be told it's ugly?

i'm literally f*cking gay

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

Archived