Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

The downfall of the VMAs was when...

tomsches

Featured Posts

nikola

The downfall started when they decided to focus on drama instead of on good iconic performances... They sabotaged Gaga's performance just so Miley can be at the center of attention, they started to create fake feuds for the views 

Tbh I feel like no bog artist wants to be part of this mess... Like if Gaga wanted to make an iconic performance she would go to the Grammy's ... If they want to fix their show they need to stop fake teasing people by commenting on the Instagram posts of big artists and start inviting them again... Like its ok to give a platform to smaller artists but it's not ok to make a whole show with them because it will be boring 

I've got an "F" and a "C" and I got a "K" too And the only thing that is missing is a bitch like "U"

RahrahWitch

I don't blame the A List celebs like Gaga, Rihanna, Katy, and more for not attending. The Show is a disaster, It's been too focused on views and what it thinks the younger generations want.

Regina George
4 hours ago, Sepsami said:

T sis I mean Dark Horse won best video :awkney: 

Dark Horse is actually good:.

OT I think it’s time for us to stop being bitter. 

I disagree. Before the VMAs were all fan-voted, the were voted for by... who? A secret cabal of unknown qualifications? They were just as much of a popularity contest then, only with a different, more select -- but not obviously better -- electorate. There were plenty of questionable decisions in that era. (BTW, Sledgehammer was a HUGE hit at the time -- it could easily have won a popular vote. There were obscure videos that got awards, but that's not one.)

No, the downfall of the VMAs was when MTV stopped caring about music videos. Simple. They've surrendered any claim to authority on the subject, by just not ****ing playing them.

ZiggyZiggs
4 hours ago, hankhatesyouall said:

The viewers have taste then. 
Check out pre-2006 nominees - these are also popular songs. I don't see any drastic difference. 
2003 - Missy Elliott "Work It":rip:

Lmfao you tried it bringing missy into this . Do you know the impact she’s had? She literally bought back amazing music videos from the dead when people started getting lazy with mvs. That music video is one of the most acclaimed videos of all time and she’s a trailblazer. 

Its so sad to see a lot of people forget the impact she’s had or not take the time to look up her stuff 

PoshLife

I disagree with the premise that award shows *need* prestige or legitimacy. The only thing they need is ratings, which is why they want to make sure videos/movies/songs/whatever that are actually popular get awards. They don't put commercial breaks every five minutes during these award shows for the fun of it - it's a money-making scheme like anything else in the entertainment industry, and they need to draw in as many viewers as they can. So of course they're not going to give awards to artsy-fartsy nobodies. And I'm fine with all that, to tell you the truth, as long as they're upfront about it. Don't act like you're giving awards to "the best" if you're actually giving awards to "the best of the Top 40," for example.

And that's the other thing. Go back in time to whatever year you want, 2006 or whenever - whichever videos won back when you think they award shows did it "right," there were probably better videos put out that year that you never *heard* of. Your idea of what is and isn't good art is entirely subjective of course, but more importantly it's already fed through the filter of what YOU have seen. So we're already just debating over a subset of the whole.

KatieJudasGaga4
2 hours ago, GlitterAndGrease said:

The VMA downfall started after Kanye's 2009 "moment". From 2010 and on they started focusing on feuds and the actually good performances were becoming less and less in number.

Was there any feuds in 2010? I just think Gaga's meat dress took over that night and all her wins.

jaXXXon

Half of the important awards are still handed out by a jury of professionals and NOT the viewers (Best Cinematography, Best Art Direction, Best Direction), so they haven't lost that value yet. 

StrawberryBlond

I agree. The thing is, the viewers have technically already voted when they made the songs and videos successful. That is essentially how we "vote" for things as the music-consuming public. So, allowing us to choose the winner is kinda pointless as if that's the case, we all know it'll be the video with 1 billion views and 7 million likes, so why bother allowing us to vote at all as our decision will be obvious? I guess they thought allowing audience participation would make more people watch because the show's acting like we matter, but seeing as viewing figures have gone down, they thought wrong.

By the way, I don't get when awards shows allow viewer voting for just one award. At the BRITS, which is basically the British Grammys, the audience are allowed to vote for Best British Video. As you can imagine, this means a helluva lot of awful, generic stuff wins this award, most namely, boybands. Out of all the awards, why make that one viewer voted? Shouldn't it be something like Best New Artist, so it gives us a heads up about who we want to keep around out of the new crop?

KatieJudasGaga4
10 hours ago, jaXXXon said:

Half of the important awards are still handed out by a jury of professionals and NOT the viewers (Best Cinematography, Best Art Direction, Best Direction), so they haven't lost that value yet. 

They haven't done a great job since Judas didn't win Best Art Direction and Choreography in 2011...:ohwell:

Archived