Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga's Dreads?

Suspiria

Featured Posts

The Child
2 hours ago, Suspiria said:

I also think they worked well when she was going for the full on filthy, drug-crazed, desperate, nothing-left-to-lose swine thing at SXSW:

lady-gaga-sxsw-2014-650a.jpg

This is racist.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shoful

I LOVED THEM!!!

Im typically not a big fan of dreads but she looks amazing and hot with them!!! BRING BACK ARTPOP

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."

JazzGa

I agree with your opinion pretty much exactly. If a young white woman wears dreads while trying to look trendy/"hey check out how much I love weed and hip hop, guys!", that is some Cringeville USA status. However, I don't think it is always racist whenever a white person wears dreads, especially someone like Gaga who has tried just about every hairstyle on the planet. She remixes them in her own unique and elevating way that doesn't just copy Black culture. 

On a similar topic, however, I did not like her high fashion use of Burquas. I guess in theory I think it's good for a celeb to present the idea that you can wear conservative fashion like niqab or burqa and still be glamorous and avant-garde and express yourself thru fashion if you wish. But I don't think Gaga was the right person to do it/I don't think she went about it in the right way. 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

Suspiria
41 minutes ago, CrazyMonster said:

This is racist.

How exactly? Her dreads here look dirty, matted and tangled, which really worked with the overall raw and animalistic feel of this performance (one of my all time faves).

Guillaume Hamon
3 hours ago, ShayCristoforo said:

I think they look fine but also corny when it's on someone who's not in hip hop/reggae or Rastafari culture 

Nothing bad with getting it for the look only. :)

TropicOfCANCER
3 hours ago, modern ecstasy said:

I don’t remember any backlash. That was before there was a huge focus on cultural appropriation. 

Honestly, if you think people weren’t aware of cultural appropriation or that Gaga didn’t get any backlash, then you weren’t paying attention. 

Backlash against cultural appropriation has been a thing for at least a decade. 

People were dragging Gwen Stefani back in 2004 for her harajuku girls/Tokyo inspired looks. 

TropicOfCANCER
39 minutes ago, Suspiria said:

How exactly? Her dreads here look dirty, matted and tangled, which really worked with the overall raw and animalistic feel of this performance (one of my all time faves).

You’re equating a black hairstyle with “animalistic” vibes (not to mention “dirty,” “filthy,” and “drug-crazed”) 

Like...I feel like the ignorance here is staggering. Don’t you recall the backlash and outrage people had when Giuliani said zendayas dreads probably smelled like weed? It’s extremely problematic, racist and dehumanizing. I would honestly suggest deleting your comment. 

ShayCristoforo
10 minutes ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

Nothing bad with getting it for the look only. :)

True but at the same time, nothing great about it either lol. Although she's always trying different things so I get it.

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

Suspiria
1 minute ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

You’re equating a black hairstyle with “animalistic” vibes. It’s racist and dehumanizing. 

But it's not a "black hairstyle". That wig is clearly not made from African hair, it's a totally different texture. These are clearly "white people dreads", worn by a white woman. And during that performance they were intentionally made to look dirty, wild and unkempt.

The Child
13 minutes ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

You’re equating a black hairstyle with “animalistic” vibes (not to mention “dirty,” “filthy,” and “drug-crazed”) 

Like...I feel like the ignorance here is staggering. Don’t you recall the backlash and outrage people had when Giuliani said zendayas dreads probably smelled like weed? It’s extremely problematic, racist and dehumanizing. I would honestly suggest deleting your comment. 

Thank you, I have nothing left to say.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

MuglerHooker
9 minutes ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

the reason the SXSW hairstyle is seen as dirty, filthy and animalistic is because they are dirty and meant to be seen as such. The dreads were obviously made white and dirtied up by Millie (the vomit performance artist). If it was normal dreads on another person and someone said they were animalistic purely because of the dreads, then yes, that could be interpreted as racist. HOWEVER this is not the case here, the dreads were purposefully made to be dirty and look unkept, that is why the hairstyle gives an animalistic vibe. Gaga's hair in the performence at SXSW was a variation on dreads, this variation is dirty, filthy and drug crazed. The "original" or "normal" dreads aren't. The simple fact is that Gaga is taking a hairstyle that she hasn't tried before and making it into an look that is meant to envoke emotion and present her in a way that matches the performance.

Buy ARTPOP On iTunes

AshIey
48 minutes ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

Honestly, if you think people weren’t aware of cultural appropriation or that Gaga didn’t get any backlash, then you weren’t paying attention. 

Backlash against cultural appropriation has been a thing for at least a decade. 

People were dragging Gwen Stefani back in 2004 for her harajuku girls/Tokyo inspired looks. 

I honestly don’t remember anyone talking about her dreads.

TheAlexer

I don't get this whole "braids are cultural appropriation" discussion. 

I can understand that cultural appropriation can be serious issue. For example when a caucasian person releases a clothing collection featuring cultural prints and making profit without a benefit for these cultural groups. 

But the simple act of sharing and adapting cultural features, art and style shouldn't be titled as appropriation because thats not how culture works. Cultures are always changing and evolving through time but also by connecting with other cultures. We can't define what features a particular culture has and set it in stone. If braids or anything else in that matter appear in pop culture than that is just the natural flow of cultural evolution. 

And personally I think it's beautiful when cultures collide and create somthing totally new.

Archived