celeb

Straight actor to play first gay character in Disney film, faces backlash

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can never satisfy the gays :vegas: I'm not surprise at all :huntyga:

What if tomorrow I see you again? Should I say that I used to love you?

Bloodyjack

Am I the only one that doesn't see an issue. It's just acting.  Actors are always portraying something thier not

Seeka

Wait. I thought Sora was the first openly gay Disney character?

3f6310e463eb376a83230d7ecc05fbf5d9d7829a

BlaqJezus

A normal gay person is too hard to understand and not entertaining enough to be shown in a movie, so Disney chose to do a campy one to get the proper feeling for the movie (which I assume is a comedy?)

Heaven forbid we get a nice gay character thats like a Disney prince story or like a Pixar feature...lets introduce people back into 80's and 90's camp gay with heterosexual actors!

SMILE2NE1

Okay, then gay actors aren't allowed to play straights then. What ****ing stupid logic!

boyerased

I guess I don’t have a problem with it. I consume the movie and the characters, not the actor. If goddamn Meryl Streep can play a straight man or even Batman convincingly then I don’t care. The character’s all I’m for.

Though I agree that we should give LGBTQ actors more opportunity. Though let’s not limit them to taking gay roles only. Well at least we had Luke Evans. He played straight characters while being openly gay. Like Gaston.

ryhanna

Yes, gay actors deserve roles too, but those also don't need to be exclusively gay roles and dictating who can and who can't play particular characters based on their own personal sexuality is ****ing dumb.

Yuuri
1 hour ago, Seeka said:

Wait. I thought Sora was the first openly gay Disney character?

3f6310e463eb376a83230d7ecc05fbf5d9d7829a

I couldn't find anything, but I'm here for it.

Vergil
3 hours ago, mmmmmonster said:

This is so dumb. After years of oppression and no representation at all besides being the butt of a joke these people are mad that the actor is straight. Why can’t people be thankful?

Imagine a white actor playing the role of a black person...

Even if I think backlashing someone is a bit too much, I also think we have the right to disagree with this decision.

crackpoppodcast

Where was everyone’s outrage when Nick Robinson crushed it as Simon in “Love, Simon”?? Hmm?

This is the same issue with Scar Jo playing a trans character or an asian character, Idris Elba playing James Bond, Rakie Ayola playing Hermione, Tilda Swinton playing the Ancient One, a recasting of Ghostbusters and Oceans whatever with women. It's either an issue or it's a non-issue.

blackpink

This is so annoying. Why can’t they just hire a gay man to play this role, why do they have to get this straight white comedian that isn’t even remotely funny to perpetuate a stereotypical representation of a gay man? Disney should know better since they want to be in with the times. 

sarahb

I'm more concerned with Americans being casted as other nationalities and completely butchering the accents :selena:

Archived