Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Dua Lipa is overrated

Sebastiaan De Graaf

Featured Posts

The Bling
35 minutes ago, Sebastiaan De Graaf said:

As long as you're not one of the people who were praising in the comments on that topic about Dua Lipa, I'm fine:trollga:

OT: Maybe we have to wait what DL2 will do but "IDGAF" is overrated in my opinion. Her debut includes some underrated bops tho. I think sometimes it's "better" not to be extremely famous because the magic might disappear. That's what happens to Dua's music in my opinion. The music hasn't got worse, it felt different

:air: It's funny actually, I know nothing about Duolingo. I've only heard New Rules a few times (and I hate it :poot:). I just wanted to trigger some people

Sigmund Freud, analyze this

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SpeechIess
20 minutes ago, Wigless said:

This Dua Lipa hate is so mediocre. Let the new pop girls breathe, bc it's obvious kids don't care about the main pop girls of 2010. 

Kids today are insufferable.

StrawberryBlond

I agree wholeheartedly. She really can't sing, barely even average. Singing low isn't the same thing as singing well. She doesn't dance so much as walk/jump around the stage and her music is just so bland and devoid of personality - soulless contemporary pop for this generation and nothing more (and she didn't even write New Rules? Shocking). What people saw in her to give her a massive 1.3 billion viewed video with over 7.8 million likes in just over a year is beyond me, considering that it's just a standard generic pop song that you can't even dance to and there's nothing interesting going on in it. It's also beyond me that One Kiss stayed at #1 in the UK for 8 weeks. What are people seeing in this girl with such a bored voice singing boring songs about nothing of substance? Yeah, she's gorgeous and all (though that new middle-aged woman haircut makes me look so frumpy) but pretty girls haven't been able to get a hit based on that alone for quite some time now. I've said it once and I'll say it again, she's just a fad. She's gone on to be more than a one hit wonder but now it looks like she'll have a decently successful second album. But after that, I think she'll fade away. Many artists have come along, had major success and then dropped like a hot potato just as fast because the public is fickle that way. Whenever I see an article proclaiming her as the new queen of pop, I'm just like, do these journalists ever learn?

On 7/29/2018 at 6:29 AM, ItsTommyBitch said:

I had a kid (I say kid he was like 20) tell me Dua Lipa was his favorite artist of all time this year because her music was SO good and her voice was so great and I had to stop myself from laughing in his face :rip: Like, I'm a rational adult. People can like whatever they want w.o deserving judgment or ridicule, but my first reaction in that moment was to hope he just didn't listen to anything other than pop radio... or something. She doesn't even have that that much music out :air:(He later told me he thought all rap was angry black people speaking over trashy beats so my initial impression of him as a shallow person was somewhat verified :ladyhaha: ) I just can't buy into the hype without some kind of substantive reason. 

Ugh, young people today are all about the overreaction. They make grandoise statements about how a new artist is the best thing since sliced bread then they dump them for the next big thing 2 years later. I've said for some time now, through analysing album trends that no one has "fans" when they've only got one album out. They're not fans, they're just people who like your debut album. The ones who stick around for your second album are your fans. That's why I say artists go overboard now, naming their fans and showing their devotion to them when they've only just started out. Wait until your sales are slashed by 60% with album #2 and then we'll see how big your "fanbase" actually is. Maybe popular music has been so bad for a while now that people's eardrums are starting to change and are accepting below average stuff because it suddenly sounds amazing to them? I sometimes wonder if the young even know how good big hits were back in the day. I once saw a really young person online say that Madonna's new music was so amazing and this older person responded with: "Wow, don't listen to her old work, then. If you're that easily impressed, the quality of her old material is so good, hearing it might actually blow your ears off." :toofunny:

Knife

I agree with you that her stage presence settings are set to zero. Poor thing manages to look awkward just standing.

I mean..I guess she could maybe learn to dance? Might help. :green:

Yemeni Feed
On 7/28/2018 at 3:16 PM, Sebastiaan De Graaf said:

Bebe Rexha

This. This. This argument just invalidated your whole post. #kancellT

Instagram.com/1.mxe

SpeechIess
7 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I agree wholeheartedly. She really can't sing, barely even average. Singing low isn't the same thing as singing well. She doesn't dance so much as walk/jump around the stage and her music is just so bland and devoid of personality - soulless contemporary pop for this generation and nothing more (and she didn't even write New Rules? Shocking). What people saw in her to give her a massive 1.3 billion viewed video with over 7.8 million likes in just over a year is beyond me, considering that it's just a standard generic pop song that you can't even dance to and there's nothing interesting going on in it. It's also beyond me that One Kiss stayed at #1 in the UK for 8 weeks. What are people seeing in this girl with such a bored voice singing boring songs about nothing of substance? Yeah, she's gorgeous and all (though that new middle-aged woman haircut makes me look so frumpy) but pretty girls haven't been able to get a hit based on that alone for quite some time now. I've said it once and I'll say it again, she's just a fad. She's gone on to be more than a one hit wonder but now it looks like she'll have a decently successful second album. But after that, I think she'll fade away. Many artists have come along, had major success and then dropped like a hot potato just as fast because the public is fickle that way. Whenever I see an article proclaiming her as the new queen of pop, I'm just like, do these journalists ever learn?

Ugh, young people today are all about the overreaction. They make grandoise statements about how a new artist is the best thing since sliced bread then they dump them for the next big thing 2 years later. I've said for some time now, through analysing album trends that no one has "fans" when they've only got one album out. They're not fans, they're just people who like your debut album. The ones who stick around for your second album are your fans. That's why I say artists go overboard now, naming their fans and showing their devotion to them when they've only just started out. Wait until your sales are slashed by 60% with album #2 and then we'll see how big your "fanbase" actually is. Maybe popular music has been so bad for a while now that people's eardrums are starting to change and are accepting below average stuff because it suddenly sounds amazing to them? I sometimes wonder if the young even know how good big hits were back in the day. I once saw a really young person online say that Madonna's new music was so amazing and this older person responded with: "Wow, don't listen to her old work, then. If you're that easily impressed, the quality of her old material is so good, hearing it might actually blow your ears off." :toofunny:

THIS, this is what I've been saying for years :giveup: 

Sebastiaan De Graaf
10 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Amazing said! I love Madonna's old music btw, her "new" songs are good (Rebel Heart) but it can't beat songs like Frozen, Like A Prayer, La Isla Bonita or Material Girl. I think once a newcomer breaks through with its debut, we start praising it like it's the next Thriller

It's funny how newcomers immediately claim their fandom, even though Katy did it too with the OOTB era when she came through. I think it just isn't a good thing to blow up at the start of your career. You have a big chance of flopping. Katy did. Gaga did but managed to keep relevant by her talent and versatility. And we only have to wait till Dua falls of:triggered:

Also, in this current music landscape there is a lot of overexposure. There are a lot of one hit wonders. I am afraid Dua Lipa will end like Charli XCX, Iggy Azalea and Meghan Trainor. Not sure about Cardi B and Camila Cabello

I have to say that New Rules is a decent dance song. Her music is okay but the wrong songs become hits:poot: IDGAF and One Kiss are probably the most overrated song of 2018. Just monotone and mediocore in my opinion. On the other hand, Be The One deserved more attention because it's an interesting pop song with more package. Same for Hotter Than Hell:oops:

Archived