💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Change My Mind: Hey Girl is one of the best songs on Joanne

duckworth

Featured Posts

Gagadonna
47 minutes ago, Wet Fire said:

It's different from most of her songs. The tempo, the vocals, the production - everything is held back in a way to make it sound beautiful, which it does. I mean, it is a beautiful song, but is it worth being replayed and replayed more than all other songs on Joanne? I don't think so. And the vocals were a bit diappointing to me because two of the best vocalists did not explore their range the way I expected them two. So that is my personal problem with the song. Otherwise it is a beautiful song.

I do agree on this. In 5F2 we can see how high they go while recording the song, it's pity they didn't keep those vocals

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MANiCURE 6

It's not for me.

In my eyes the best songs on Joanne are John Wayne, Come To Mama, Diamond Heart and Dancin' In Circles ! :sure:

LastNight

I really like it but it definitely has a filler vibe; it's retro sound and positioning far down in the track list make it a real deep album cut and the album sort of changes in pace and tone from there on out.

I think Joanne loses track after Sinner's Prayer. I like Come To Mama and Hey Girl a lot (I'm not a fan of Angel Down at all), but all three of those songs combined shift the direction of the album and drag it out. After Sinner's Prayer it would have been cool for her to go with a more bluesy, sultry sound - but the retro, brashy vibes of the final songs and the bonus tracks sort of diminish the album as a body of work. Don't get me wrong, I actually love Grigio Girls and Just Another Day as songs too; but a folksy, bluesy, sexy-rock vibe would have been amazing and a nice compliment to the country tinged dance-pop from the first half.

Of course the themes she talks about in the last few songs are really important, and I love that about Gaga, but sonically those songs age the album which otherwise sounds fresh and interesting. It doesn't ever really pick up again after CTM - it slips into this retro-ish vibe and stays that way until the very end, whereas the first half of the album dances through tempos and genres in a really exciting way.

Poissonche

It is a very good song. I just feel like it's not good enough for the high expectations a Gaga-Florence collab could create amongst the fans. You know, Florence is known for making huge, epic, artsy alternative music, and I feel like we thought that's what Hey Girl was going to be, not a retro chill jam sounding like Benny And The Jets. It is a good song: it just feels like they didn't make the most of their combined talents.

Irrelevant
1 hour ago, baptism said:

It's a boring song with mediocre production that sounds like it belongs on an Elton John album, but not even a single, just filler. Also she didn't even bother performing it on tour (there's a reason for that), and really, can you blame her? 

the reason is that it's impossible to perform a duet without the other person sis

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

ryanripley
1 hour ago, baptism said:

It's a boring song with mediocre production that sounds like it belongs on an Elton John album, but not even a single, just filler. Also she didn't even bother performing it on tour (there's a reason for that), and really, can you blame her? 

:triggered:

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

Guest JolanJoringel
23 minutes ago, SHALLOW said:

It's not bad, i just expected even better. The bridge is amazing:applause:

Came here to say this! One of her bests.

baptism
59 minutes ago, Irrelevant said:

the reason is that it's impossible to perform a duet without the other person sis

and yet she still does telephone including at the superbowl????

Irrelevant
26 minutes ago, baptism said:

and yet she still does telephone including at the superbowl????

sis Gaga and Beyonce have separate verses in Telephone, which means she can easily omit her verse. Gaga and Florence are singing to each other in the song. ex.

[Verse 1: Lady Gaga & Florence Welch]
Hey girl, can you hear me?
Are you holding out your heart?

Hey girl, do you feel me?
Sometimes I go too far
Hey girl, it ain't easy
I know it's pulling me apart

But darlin', don't you leave me
Baby, don't you leave me

Which doesn't make sense if Gaga just sings every line.

광야로 걸어가 알아 네 home ground

Bowman

It’s such a great track and has so much soul to it, it’s got that like that feel good old school vibe to it, adding Florence was such a cool thing for Gaga to do. My only problem is that I feel like they both repeat Hey Girl too much and shout it too much like gooorl we get it. :sure:

𝕯𝕵, 𝖋𝖗𝖊𝖊 𝖒𝖞 𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖉

Clarence

I actually think not only is hey girl the best song on joanne, but one of gaga's best songs. it gave me goosebumps the first time I heard it. if u think its "boring" you're actually a robot. these are facts :firega:

baptism
2 hours ago, Irrelevant said:

sis Gaga and Beyonce have separate verses in Telephone, which means she can easily omit her verse. Gaga and Florence are singing to each other in the song. ex.

[Verse 1: Lady Gaga & Florence Welch]
Hey girl, can you hear me?
Are you holding out your heart?

Hey girl, do you feel me?
Sometimes I go too far
Hey girl, it ain't easy
I know it's pulling me apart

But darlin', don't you leave me
Baby, don't you leave me

Which doesn't make sense if Gaga just sings every line.

She could have just sang the entire thing, for that matter. Nonetheless if she played it live I would have taken a bathroom break. 

Archived