💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Most Overrated Pop Girl?

POP2

Most Overrated Pop Girl?  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most overrated pop girl?

Featured Posts

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
holy scheisse

It can only be Beyonce or Taylor Swift BC tbh none of the other girls are popular enough to be overrated right meow. So in the present... I'ma say Beyonce. She's not a goddess!

In terms of legacy... I'm sorry but Britney is overrated . She's got a nostalgic factor to her which people love. But at the end of the day , looking back, she was mostly just an industry puppet to the point where it broke her. She was never an amazing artist but she was a great brand.

BlingNotTheMusic

I wouldn’t consider Beyoncé a “pop girl”. But Taylor Swift is unimaginably overrated and is majorly contributing to the downfall of pop IMO :vegas:

brucee

I don't understand AT ALL why is B on the top of that survey.... Like : why are little monsters angry at her she's the best of the list (except G of course)... 

hello hello baby.

StrawberryBlond

My opinion is based not just on talent but in how the public have reacted to them. That second part is by far the most important factor in deciding if someone's overrated or not. Huge success is the thing you need to even be considered for overratedness in the first place. With that in mind, I've narrowed it down to Taylor and Beyonce. This is a really difficult choice between them because they each outperform each other in their own ways, but I've finally decided...

Taylor. Because she's been huge since the beginning. She's never had a flop album. Yeah, almost all the copies of her debut sold in the US but that's because it was only made relevant in the US to country fans. It wasn't aimed to be a global phenomenon. But global sales or not, 5.7 million sales is amazing by anyone's standards today and considering it didn't have massive hits or was promoted widely, that is astounding for a debut singer. From there on out, every album she has made has sold 4.5 million or more worldwide to date, with two albums at 9 and 10 million respectively. That's insane. Reputation is an underperformance for her standards but she's never truly flopped. Her tours have also been sell-out successes since her debut. She wins so many awards for her work including 10 Grammys. She has over 30 million YouTube subscribers and hundreds of millions of views and tens of millions of of likes...and all of this for someone who can sing average at best, utilises basic instrumental skills and makes some of the bland songs ever made (with a few exceptions). And her personality is extremely questionable as well. I don't know how she keeps fans who keep coming back to her barely developed work with the same themes time after time. Up until 1989, I was finding it quite morbid how her fans are expecting another album from her with lots of break-up songs every 2 years around October/November. It's like they were anticipating their fave to have her heart broken again so they could hear her songs about it. I don't know about you but I couldn't stand being a fan of someone who was all about relationship drama on every album and we know what's going to feature on it before we've even heard it. I will give her credit for not going the obvious route and avoiding confessional songs about Calvin and Tom this time but who knows if this is something she'll maintain?

On 7/22/2018 at 4:48 AM, Matangi said:

based on talent its easily britney imo. everyone on that list either possesses a strong voice, or strong writing skills/some balance between the two (Katy).

It's a shame because Britney naturally had a very good voice from a young age. Her record label screwed her over by making her sing in that breathy, sexy, feline way. That form of singing is not a natural tone. If you try to sing a Britney song in her voice, your throat starts to hurt about 2 minutes in. Her fans believe that after years of singing like this on song after song on tour, it completely messed up her voice to the point where she can't even do it anymore and that's why she lipsynchs. It's sad when she was asked about what she thinks of her voice later in life and she says "I'd class my voice as ok, but for me, it was all about the feeling I got when I sang, but I would love to have a voice like Christina." I think even she's forgotten how good she once was before the industry moulded her voice to songs that did not suit her. I think the industry back then thought that a pretty young girl who looks like an All-American princess shouln't be singing anything other than pop music, even if she didn't have a voice that suited that style. Here she is singing country, jazz, soul and gospel, which are clearly better suited for the voice she was meant to have:

On 7/22/2018 at 4:58 AM, DiscoHeaven23 said:

beyonce.

without a doubt.

After the sub-par performance of 4, She just had a REALLLY good PR team that had news outlets write articles about her being this god like artist. It caught on, starting with the BEYONCE era, and still lasts (though it seems to be fading lately). 

Like i remember before 2013, Beyonce was just another pop girl. Society viewed her so differently. 

Even though I didn't vote for her, she was a very close second, based purely on her sales not being as high as Taylor's. But what you said needs to be repeated because I don't think enough people realise how Beyonce has turned it all around. It's true, as someone old enough to remember when Beyonce was part of DC, I remember how she was viewed pre-2013. A cool singer with a good voice who made great music to dance to - nothing more, nothing less. But after 4 flopped with not so much as a top ten single in the US, she realised her start power needed to be reiterated to the people. So she began a PR trail of positive publicity throughout 2013, doing the SB performance and ad (that kickstarted the "Beyonce is a goddess" campaign) followed by her Life Is But A Dream documentary, then a speaking role in the film Epic, not to mention her Mrs Carter world tour which didn't even support an album, but was a compilation of greatest hits, old favourites, some things from 4 and one or two new songs. But none of it led to an album and we wondered what was going on and then on December 13, after a year of positive promo, the surprise album dropped and the heavens opened. That's when we realised what all this seemingly pointless campaign trail was building up to. I saw through it back then but everyone got caught up in the hype and I was drowned out. And millions are still on the hype train, even after she pulled that trick again and even a third time with Jay. It's so predictable now. And articles and references to Beyonce being a goddess and the best ever and now commonplace in a way that I don't remember it being years ago. She didn't even have outstanding album scores back then, but now the critics give her scores in the 80's and 90's. And, most annoyingly, her recent albums, which sold less than other big names around the same time, were sold to the public as mega hits despite selling decently, if anything. Lemonade is her lowest selling album with only about 3 million, yet we're told it's a cultural movement. Quite frankly, it seems like the world's forgotten all about her self-titled one, even though that sold more, which is the question I really wish more fans would address. When there were much bigger albums just before Lemonde came out like Ed Sheeran's X, Sam Smith's In The Lonely Hour, Taylor's 1989 and Adele's 25, I refuse to accept 3 million as a mega hit album that everybody knows and cares about. Admittedly, other artists have tried to emulate this positive publicity trail pre-album, including Gaga, but no one has been as successful with it as Beyonce because she has one of the most stellar marketing teams. If Gaga could get Beyonce's team, she'd be back on top again. But to be quite honest, I don't want this overblown media spin for her. Its causing Beyonce to have considerable backlash after a few years of it and they're slowly waking up (hence the votes in this thread). Ultimate success will naturally incur a backlash. The low sales of Everything Is Love could just be the beginning.

On 7/22/2018 at 11:46 AM, Fable said:

I'm not surprised to see Beyonce leading due to the hype around her, but honestly she has been in the game for so long, she is one of the best performers (if not the best) out there and she puts out quality albums, quality music videos, quality performances, quality tours, quality photoshoots consistently. She receives such high praise because when she drops an album it's a great album, when she performs at an award show she is the best of the night, when she performs somewhere like Coachella she is innovative and unique, she is a fantastic singer, she is a fantastic dancer. She works hard and demands quality from those she collaborates with. She tries new things and works with creative people that others don't work with, people who (while very talented) don't have a track record of giant commercial success.

I think the level of quality she produces is overrated, though, that's the point. And the fact that it's generally considered not ok to criticise her quality is in itself what makes her overrated. Now, don't get me wrong, I prefer her music on the whole more than Taylor's and she keeps up a decent level of quality control for the last few albums but I still find her output ok at best. And I'm not someone who's hard to please. I just don't see much worth praising in today's market, least of all songs like Run The World, Blow and Formation to be on the level of someone bigged up at the greatest female artist of our time. And as for working with with non-obvious people in the business - she can do that because she's got a great PR team who can sell anything she does and people buy it. Of course you can take risks when your people spin everything you do as the second coming. These artists work with her to get their careers out there and get praise by association, not the other way around.

KingRedd

Britney... people will say Beyonce because she’s the one to beat right now. Britney legit lost her spark and people praise her for her older work. 

Miya différent for artist like madonna who is literally elderly yet still slays the stage. Britney seems to arm dance her way through a performance which is sad since she lips the songs. So why not go all out? Conundrum 

May I Read You? 😎

DONAJENDRO

How can Beyoncé be overrated when nobody claims she's this artist that always writes all of her own music and all that. People praise her for her incredible skills as a performer which is entirely deserved by her. Even then she's still involved in the process of her albums. 

Kesha has gotten SO overrated over the past year or so. Rainbow was cute at best and she is not a good singer or performer.

Mad Onna

Smother Em Eh

As much as I love her, I have to say Rihanna tbh. (But Kesha and Taylor would be next). She really doesn’t have any distinctive talent other then her instantly recognizable voice (that’s barely a talent tho). I mean even Katy is more talented then her. She actually writes her own songs and plays the guitar, neither of what Rihanna does.  She also doesn’t have many iconic hits, videos and performances like Madge, Gaga, Brit, Bey and even Miley. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

On 7/22/2018 at 12:42 PM, holy scheisse said:

In terms of legacy... I'm sorry but Britney is overrated . She's got a nostalgic factor to her which people love. But at the end of the day , looking back, she was mostly just an industry puppet to the point where it broke her. She was never an amazing artist but she was a great brand.

Still unequivocally created Justin Timberlake's solo career and no attempts at re-writing history are ever gonna change that.

The former teen boybander should have ended up like Nick Carter.

Dunk96

Taylor and Beyonce. But I put Beyonce more in the R&B/hip-hop/rap category over pop.

Guillaume Hamon

_Beyoncé is the one who get her feet kissed the most okay but she has an excellent vocal technique, is a great dancer and also got many writing credits along her career ( before y'all told me she needs an army of co-writers, see the destiny's child first albums when several songs were produced by only her and written by her and one co-writer)... So she's the most praised but not the most overrated since she's one of the most gifted star we have.

_Britney Spears started with a good voice as a child/teen star before she messed it up and she was maybe the best dancer after Janet at her peak so she can't be the most overrated since she's on of the rare in this list who really EXCELLED at something.

_Perry is not a dancer. Her vocals are inconsistent but can be good. Her writing is what many artists can do. But she's never really praised for her skills so I wouldn't say she's overrated.

_Kesha has many strong points folks ignore ( she progressed vocally, she writes more of her music than what people think) but she's never very praised for her skills as well so not her either. She underrated if anything.

_Gaga's  still is the girl with the auto-tuned voice who probably get her team doing things for her for some people....Overall she's underrated as **** so not her.

_Swift vocals were really average but she progressed and now it can be good even if it's inconsistent. She never was a dancer and her writing skills are overrated imo. People act like if it was incredible but many artists do the same and the success of swift songs mainly come from the fact it's extremely relatable. Every teen identified to it so it worked then she had max martin/shellback with her and she got her biggest WW hits. So I would say Swift...

:derpga:

Beyonce and it isn't even close.

She is talented though.

Adele should be included. While she isn't #1, her voice is quite overrated.

On 7/22/2018 at 3:59 PM, brucee said:

I don't understand AT ALL why is B on the top of that survey.... Like : why are little monsters angry at her she's the best of the list (except G of course)... 

You could make this poll on any website and Beyonce (and probably Taylor) would be at the top. So please stop this narrative that "monsters hate Beyonce or are angry"...

Archived