opinion

Taylor Swift is underrated/Tribute

Blond

Featured Posts

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bradley

I like some of her songs but if you talk about interesting visuals, good songwriting, and good stage presence, I'd say Katy Perry does it better.

I could be biased because I have seen Katy live but not Swift, but even from the videos a lot of people seem to think that Katy is a visual superstar.

LordEnigma
1 hour ago, Andree said:

You're overreacting a little bit, if you don't find her interesting that's ok but saying that ''there's ABSOLUTELY nothing interesting about her'' is a reach.  doesn't take a risk? She literally WROTE and PRODUCE an entire album by HERSELF  because critics didn't believe that she wrote her first album, so she proved them wrong... then she changed her sound, she was a country artist and started doing pop songs, despite knowing that her audience were country fans. so you're wrong, she's always taking risks.  If you don't like her, that's ok but first, please do your homework and study her career if you're going to talk trash about her. 

I don’t think they mean taking risks as in risks to do something different - more like risks in her artistry (content of music). All of her albums focus around relationships. There might be a song or two in each album about a different topic but that’s about it.

Wet Fire

With all due respect to her artistry, no. Her music is conventional, extremely. Pop music itself is mostly about conventionality. Even if it is experimental, it has a limit set by the conventionality that it just cannot exceed. Otherwise it would not be pop. Anyway, Taylor is a great musician. She excels in the conventionality of pop music, which is not necessarily a small achievement. I would say that within the bounds of conventional pop music, she has succeeded to set the standard quite higher. Especially with 1989.

ARTPOPSTER
4 hours ago, Blond said:

Kween of being the best thing since Lady Gaga before Gaga even appeared

giphy.gif

:ladyhaha:

StrawberryBlond

You seem to misunderstand what underrated means. On GGD, you might have a case, but in the grand scheme of things, no. I fail to understand how one of the biggest selling artists of the 21st century, who can sell even when music sales in the pits, has over 30 million YouTube subscribers, her highest liked video has over 8 million likes, has won 10 Grammys (she is also the youngest person to ever win AOTY and the youngest to ever win AOTY twice) and has never had a truly "flop" album could be considered underrated to any degree. But I digress...

She does write her own songs and I have 100% respect for that, regardless of what I think of them. It's just that i don't find the majority of her work any good, that's the problem. Writing your own songs is all very well but respect can only go so far when the result of this solo writing doesn't cut the mustard. I find her songs about falling in love to be far too young and teenage. Which is fine back when she actually was a teenager, but at 28, it's really becoming a bad look. I prefer it when she's singing in her more mature style on Reputation and being honest about the fact that she has sex and how great it is. Blame Me is how an adult writes about new love. This suits her a lot better than those chaste songs she wrote back in the day which just didn't ring true as we know she was being a bit economical with her innocence. Writing songs about falling in love is all very well but when it gets too soppy, too unrealistic and when she's written about this exact same story before and doesn't learn her lessons, you just can't continue to find charm in it. Her recent videos have been more interesting than her old stuff but I've never found her videos amazing and as for her tours, well, she doesn't exactly have an amazing live voice or stage presence and that's kinda the whole point of seeing someone live. I've always wondered if she's nice to her fans as a marketing technique as everything else about her career is. It just makes me a bit dubious - is she doing this because she cares or is she just hoping that she'll have a fan for life who will buy all her stuff? I'd always like to imagine that someone who genuinely loves their fans would keep concert ticket prices down, for one. And not make them buy her merchandise if they want to get closer in the virtual queue. And she never insults anyone? She insults every guy she's ever broken up with in song, along with any adversaries like Camilla Belle, Katy Perry, Kanye West and even a music critic who said that she couldn't sing, of all the petty things. I fail to see how someone who wrote the line "all you are is mean and a liar and pathetic and alone in life" could ever be cited as someone "who's never insulted anyone." And I actually don't think she is underrated by adults. A lot of them are music critics who give her great reviews and Grammy academy members who give her awards, plus a lot of parents who think she's such a good role model for their little darlings compared to all those other provocative popstars. I seem to be one of the few adults who think her music, for the most part, is very immature and not what the average adult wants to listen to and she's actually a pretty poor example of how a young girl should conduct herself (dating guy after guy for 3 months at a time claiming it's true love, writing songs about anyone who's ever done you wrong no matter how small, keeping your music stuck in a teenage mindset).

And we're hardly jealous of her just because our fave isn't as successful. That's such a simplistic, juvenile way of looking at things. Granted, I wish that lesser talented people weren't as famous and successful (especially with less promotion into the bargain) but this is never my primary reason for disliking a celebrity. It's all to do with their output and personality and when they're successful, I'm annoyed at the public for making them successful, despite their misgivings.

5 hours ago, Hi Its Nicole said:

This is one of Taylor's most generic, bland songs and one of the most forgettable, worst songs on Red. You kinda just proved his point. To most of us, this is just your standard country pop, nothing special. There are women in the genre who make better country pop than this, yet aren't given the same praise, attention or sales.

3 hours ago, Andree said:

You're overreacting a little bit, if you don't find her interesting that's ok but saying that ''there's ABSOLUTELY nothing interesting about her'' is a reach.  doesn't take a risk? She literally WROTE and PRODUCE an entire album by HERSELF  because critics didn't believe that she wrote her first album, so she proved them wrong... then she changed her sound, she was a country artist and started doing pop songs, despite knowing that her audience were country fans. so you're wrong, she's always taking risks.  If you don't like her, that's ok but first, please do your homework and study her career if you're going to talk trash about her. 

Maybe she is interesting but what she's put of herself into the media, I'm not detecting anything special, anything that gives her this incredible star power. She's a child of a wealthy family who supported her dreams and paid her way for her to acheive her record contract and has lived a very sheltered life. Someone like that can only be so interesting if they want to stay apolitical and neutral, so anyone can like them. Going pop was hardly a risk. I've said this over and over to anyone who claims this: pop is mainstream, it can be generically formulated, it is a set standard. This is why indie acts get criticised for their fans if they go in a pop direction because they're selling out by playing it safe. Taylor left country music just as the genre was starting to tail off in popularity. She saw it was a sinking ship for the near future and decided she'd go off in a different direction so she could still maintain success in a market that had grown tired of country. Watch her go back to this style when it has its next resurgence. And she was always more pop than country anyway, especially after her debut. She was progressively getting more pop as each album went on, just preparing her fans for a full-on change one day. If she had gone from Taylor Swift to 1989, it would have been a 360. But from Red to 1989 was hardly a leap, what with the bubblegum sound (We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together and 22) and dubstep sound (I Knew You Were Trouble) making it very clear that a new Taylor was emerging. Trust me, those who dislike her have researched her very well. Don't let your misinterpretations of what we've said get in the way of what we're actually saying. Plus, you can come to different conclusions despite doing the same research and understand something but still disagree with it.

Smother Em Eh

I honestly don’t think she is underrated at all tbh. Now, I certainly don’t get all the hate she gets, and I do think people don’t give her enough credit for her talent, but she isn’t underrated. She has talent and you can’t deny it, but with all her overexposure and awards, they make her overrated in a way tbh. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

Archived