Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
other

Madonna being a mess on Instagram

Gohan

Featured Posts

GypsyBabe

Unfortunate that people can’t look at a picture of a mother and child in such a scenario without immediately inferring a slavery reference. 

That being said, there is endemic racism and racial views in the world. So I am not surprised that people find it inappropriate. Not sure whether or not thats a good or bad thing tbh. It shows sensitivity to the topic, but also illustrates that our mode of thinking must indeed be changed. 

⚯͛

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PunkTheFunk
46 minutes ago, Miel said:

The historical context of Black people, especially Black children, being used and referred to as "the help" is the particular issue that most people are seeing. Not just a Black child being in subservience. It was common rhetoric to refer to a lot of People of Color as "the help" (whether they were actually working or not) in the United States, up until even the 1960's. Hell, some still use it now.

That said, this was totally unintentional. That's her daughter, right? I can see why people would internally react the way they are (specifically towards the term "helper"), but there definitely was no ill to this. Madonna isn't that stupid.

The icing on the ignorance cake is that her daughter is dressed eerily similar to a slave/house maid from the 19th century

c0e862ae90e681c0ab53e69c160cfcbe.jpg

Just a mess all around :madge:

PunkTheFunk
2 minutes ago, GypsyBabe said:

Unfortunate that people can’t look at a picture of a mother and child in such a scenario without immediately inferring a slavery reference. 

Black domestic workers in white households isn't something that happened 300 years ago that we all need to forget about...this was going on in the 1950s/60s. That's our parents' lifetimes. It's not something that can easily be erased from cultural memory.

HosedDownGypsy

since when is the word helper and a white dress racist?:saladga: am i missing something here?:saladga:

RAIN ON ME

GypsyBabe
14 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

Black domestic workers in white households isn't something that happened 300 years ago that we all need to forget about...this was going on in the 1950s/60s. That's our parents' lifetimes. It's not something that can easily be erased from cultural memory.

Oh of course. There are people in this world who experienced these atrocities first hand. I immediately thought of slavery and servitude when I saw the pic and think that it was insensitive to post it. I think maybe I was unclear in my original post. I was talking more about it from a white perspective as that is what I am. It is very sad that a slavery identity is put on a child in a picture. A photograph like this shows that we still have a very very long way to go. With issues like this, I like to defer to the race that is involved as it is not my place to judge this photo and its weight. I am more interested in how they feel. 

⚯͛

PunkTheFunk
10 minutes ago, HosedDownGypsy said:

since when is the word helper and a white dress racist?:saladga: am i missing something here?:saladga:

Black domestic workers in white households during the early-mid 20th century were referred to as "the help". Considering Madonna grew up in that time period it's pretty ignorant of her. 

Florian
2 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

Black domestic workers in white households during the early-mid 20th century were referred to as "the help". Considering Madonna grew up in that time period it's pretty ignorant of her. 

As I said, a "helper" is literally the job title of some employees in a kitchen. They're both cooking, and Madonna obviously has the Chief role. Hence why her daughter is the little helper.

It has nothing to do with the "help"

nikola

But its her kid.... nothing wrong with this post

I've got an "F" and a "C" and I got a "K" too And the only thing that is missing is a bitch like "U"

Haroon

I laughed when I saw this :deadbanana: But we have to remember, if we just change the skin colour on either of them is there anything "wrong" with the picture anymore? We can't blame her for being white and the child for being black :shrug:

nodandsmile
10 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

Oh man, they won't understand why it can be insensitive, you are wasting your time (I think that colorblindness bullsh*t is a big part of it)

even though I don't think she's racist, she's just ignorant and I swear I cringe

Guillaume Hamon
1 hour ago, darkness said:

Well maybe it should, France has racism problems :trollga:

Twitter "wokism" never solve racism so no it should not lol.

It's a huge trend and it's only useful to make some people feel like they're great and doing the right thing.

:ladyhaha:

Blond

Oh my god :saladga: I legit don't even care...Dumb people now have bigger exposure and it's going to be like this because it's internet.

:bye: :bye: :bye:

My pu$$y tastes like pepsi cola

Sam Dey

lmao :laughga:

Tbh she's been a mom to 4 african kids for many years so that's why she probably didn't even think about the controversy around this pic.

Can't blame her for that

Archived