Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Streaming is musty

Gohan

Featured Posts

Gohan

A musty a** b*tch. 

And I mean free streaming counting for the Billboard chart. Young people can make literally an annoying beat with a horrible rap flow the #1 song of the summer and so on. VIP/Paid streaming should be the one that counts. Because ever since music existed, we paid for it. Cassettes, Vinyl, CDs, iTunes, etc. And that made songs and album chart. Why should it chart now, in a free way? 

It (music) could still be free so that it can reach everybody regardless of their monetary possibilities, but not be able to make a song chart. It destroys the whole integrity of the art behind a song/album process and it literally pays back **** to the artist.

tryna go ask Alice, tryna catch that rabbit

I agree, but free streaming really can't be fought at this point. It has already solidified itself as just the new way of getting music (along with paid streaming). 

Stephen

Taylor Swift tried to warn us years ago but we just called her greedy :giveup: 

Gohan
3 minutes ago, Steve Nasty said:

Taylor Swift tried to warn us years ago but we just called her greedy :giveup: 

I was one of them, her team still is, but she was so spilling that tea we needed :giveup:

Robo Ga

Honestly... streaming is probably making the charts MORE reflective than ever before of what people are actually listening to. 

12 minutes ago, Gohan said:

Young people can make literally an annoying beat with a horrible rap flow the #1 song of the summer and so on.

This has always been true, but just because you don't like the current trend doesn't mean the song shouldn't be number 1. I agree that artists should be compensated fairly, but disagree that only PAID music should chart, that just makes the charts less reflective of what the majority of people are actually listening to. 

Also side note - So many people on this site hate streaming bc Gaga's #s have been low in the streaming era but I think ASIB soundtrack and LG6 will get her streaming power wayyyyyy up. 

🤖⚡️

RAMROD

There are some things worse about it.

Like, recently, NINE INCH NAILS, just released a new EP. But they decided to called it an album because in streaming, an EP would shows up with singles which makes it get lost and ignored easier. That is why they labeled it as album instead. and I can see many artists will do this in case they are also making an EP later. 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

River

It's not the free vs payed that is the problem..

The problem is that you let a 3rd party service to have no limits, they have a major impact on the charts, from the Today's Music setlist to deals with singers like the one with Katy..

Is there a way to see Spotify vs Apple Music streams different between one song?

I think the best is that all the labels will team up for 1 streaming service without payola or bad promotion..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

ThisGuyTony

They're changing the rules soon to make paid streams count more than free streams.

But I totally agree with that. A perfect example is XXXTENTACION (???) going #1 due to streams from his passing away.

SolidSnake

Charts shouldnt bother you. I dont get why people on here are obsessed with them.

Gohan
5 minutes ago, ThisGuyTony said:

They're changing the rules soon to make paid streams count more than free streams.

But I totally agree with that. A perfect example is XXXTENTACION (???) going #1 due to streams from his passing away.

Oh, wow. Oh, wow. I hope this becomes true soon :giveup:

Yeah, I get that Michael and Whitney charting back then was hella crazy, but it was because EVERYONE bought their records after their passing. Now with this guy, it was because he was over streamed everywhere by the wannabe cool kids who stan every acclaimed artist of the week.

Gohan
4 minutes ago, SolidSnake said:

Charts shouldnt bother you. I dont get why people on here are obsessed with them.

It bothers me and some people because the same artists are always on top of the charts. Drake, Migos and other streaming forces. There's no musical diversity like in pop years.

SolidSnake
3 minutes ago, Gohan said:

It bothers me and some people because the same artists are always on top of the charts. Drake, Migos and other streaming forces. There's no musical diversity like in pop years.

Not to be rude, but seriously who cares? Good music will always be out there even if its not on the charts. Pop girl music will always be made in some fashion. It still sells well. Charts shouldnt be on your mind.

doppelganger

I'm okay with counting all streaming, of course paid streams should count more than free steams. What i love about it, is people now have unprecedented access to music. What is problematic is how streaming numbers can be artificially inflated with bots and all, especially on Youtube. I'm looking at you, Katy.

LordEnigma

Nah - it’s still really early in the streaming game to criticize it. People hated the switch to cassettes then to CDs then to digital music then to streaming and the next big thing in music will be critized as well.

Streaming is honestly the best thing to happen to music! I would never have discovered songs/albums had I never had it.

They need to change how artists get paid and they need to figure out how it works with the charts - but those are things they will figure out.

RIPheygirl

agreed but only cos we now have to pay a ton of money for concerts as artists arent getting their money 

Archived