💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

"Has 2018 Killed the Pop Star?" Vanity Fair article.

Anderson123

Featured Posts

AlexanderMagno
6 minutes ago, PussyGlam said:

Perhaps I have a high standard while everyone else is happy to listen to trash. Don't judge me and come to your conclusions because I'm on a Gaga daily site ffs, I think I'm qualified to talk about what makes good pop music when I follow the career of one of the best pop artists ever

Dual Lips is the only decent artist out of the ones you mentioned. (My phone changed her name to that). :laughga:

Cardi B isn't bad but that isn't music to me, it's just talking over a beat. I honestly don't get the hype.

Camila Cabello might have catchy songs but her voice is too child like for me. Havana na na grates on me cos why does she sing like that.

Idk who Childish Gambino is and I don't think I want to. 

Look, it's not that I like these artists. I don't like Cardi B at all, really. I could be categorised as a hater. But she is very well received, so maybe I shouldn't argue about the decay of the charts and the dreadful come of rap music.

I don't like Camila Cabello either, I agree her voice is too childy (in fact, I still can't hear what so many people call "great voice", she sounds really basic, but whatever).

Childish Gambino is a rapper who released one of the most critically acclaimed songs of the year.

Again, maybe some of us should consider that the problem is not the charts or the current mainstream music or the artists or the lack of good pop songs, maybe the problem is ourselves. We grow up, our music preferences are not as versatile as they used to be, we have a clearer definition of what we like or not, and we stop getting the "popular" sound.

Even claiming that you understand what good pop music is because you follow Lady Gaga (I guess that's the best pop artist you're talking about :laughga:) is incredibly bias.

Impostor

Pop is dead and C2C/Joanne showed that Gaga can get over it and do something less predictable. But I dislike most of Joanne because it's country-like. Maybe she should go rock and roll or orchestral next lol.

Glamourpuss
24 minutes ago, AlexanderMagno said:

Look, it's not that I like these artists. I don't like Cardi B at all, really. I could be categorised as a hater. But she is very well received, so maybe I shouldn't argue about the decay of the charts and the dreadful come of rap music.

I don't like Camila Cabello either, I agree her voice is too childy (in fact, I still can't hear what so many people call "great voice", she sounds really basic, but whatever).

Childish Gambino is a rapper who released one of the most critically acclaimed songs of the year.

Again, maybe some of us should consider that the problem is not the charts or the current mainstream music or the artists or the lack of good pop songs, maybe the problem is ourselves. We grow up, our music preferences are not as versatile as they used to be, we have a clearer definition of what we like or not, and we stop getting the "popular" sound.

Even claiming that you understand what good pop music is because you follow Lady Gaga (I guess that's the best pop artist you're talking about :laughga:) is incredibly bias.

You seem like the kind of person who wants to win an argument and overlook what somebody's saying. All you've done is try to analyse me and criticise me for my tastes or lack thereof. The truth is I have a varied taste in music.

Just because music is critically acclaimed doesn't mean it's good. Why should I like music just because a critic has liked it. We live in a culture where people can't think for themselves. "Oooh I'll listen to this track because it is doing well in the charts and is well received by critics and I'll force myself to like it. I'll take a selfie of me enjoying this track and share it on Instagram and I'll get loads of likes because everybody loves this song too." 

FRANK1991

"Most others have been pushed to the fringe, sustained by rabid core fan bases consisting largely of gay men and hipsters, but not cultural sovereignty."

DVx_Rm4WkAEoLd8.jpg

Cause once you let it go you better know it's gone

AlexanderMagno
8 hours ago, PussyGlam said:

You seem like the kind of person who wants to win an argument and overlook what somebody's saying. All you've done is try to analyse me and criticise me for my tastes or lack thereof. The truth is I have a varied taste in music.

Just because music is critically acclaimed doesn't mean it's good. Why should I like music just because a critic has liked it. We live in a culture where people can't think for themselves. "Oooh I'll listen to this track because it is doing well in the charts and is well received by critics and I'll force myself to like it. I'll take a selfie of me enjoying this track and share it on Instagram and I'll get loads of likes because everybody loves this song too." 

:huh: I never said you should enjoy the music... wtf, have you read what I wrote, I just told you I don't like the current charting songs either... How am I criticising your lack of taste, unless I'm also criticising myself... I'm just saying you can't say something isn't good because you don't like it. I'm not saying you should listen to charting songs or songs everybody loves, wtf did you read from me, I'm just saying your taste is not the main indicator of what is good music or not. 

brit4ever

The pop music is alive, but the type of global pop stars, such as MJ, Madonna, Britney and Gaga, is dead. With the Internet, streaming, social media and etc technology, the mistery surrounding a pop star is gone and people lose interest in an artist within a few months only.

+ hip-hop, rap and r&b are the trend among young people right now and they are the ones using streaming the most and since charts and lables put streaming at #1 that automatically puts hip-hop on the front and everything on the charts is defined by the teenagers. When you add to that the fact that radio has to fight with streaming, radios are playing hip-hop as well to sustain their audiences and not lose them to Spotify, or apple music.

It's simple, honestly.

Bradley

Did they just put Chris Brown on the same league as Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and Beyonce?

Glamourpuss
7 hours ago, AlexanderMagno said:

:huh: I never said you should enjoy the music... wtf, have you read what I wrote, I just told you I don't like the current charting songs either... How am I criticising your lack of taste, unless I'm also criticising myself... I'm just saying you can't say something isn't good because you don't like it. I'm not saying you should listen to charting songs or songs everybody loves, wtf did you read from me, I'm just saying your taste is not the main indicator of what is good music or not. 

Your attitude riled me up. You lol'd at the fact I mainly like Lady Gaga and every opinion I had about pop music was shot down because in your words I'm a pop fan. You're the one that made it personal so I replied as such. 

I don't want to argue about this because it's pointless. 

derpmonster
18 hours ago, PussyGlam said:

Pop never used to be like this though. There was a constant flow of good songs and there was music to cater to all ages. Now a good song doesn't appear for what seems like years. And the charts are dominated by what's popular among young people. 

I agree that big pop stars are a once in a while phenomenon but even the smaller pop stars produced a decent bop now and again. 

About the pop hasn't been like this thing... You know people have hated pop for as long as it has existed. It's always "cool" to hate on pop. I agree that it's not good quality right now but there have always been many people throughout history thinking the same about their contemporaneous pop music.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

FalsePromise
19 hours ago, Benji said:

I get the angle they're coming from but it's not exactly true.  There are currently five strict pop stars with the top ten singles in the UK; Demi Lovato, Anne-Marie, Jess Glynne, Ariana Grande and Dua Lipa.

You could include the band Years & Years and George Ezra since they practically make pop music, which brings the total up to seven.

7/10 songs in the top 10 are pop songs, the top five all belonging to pop.

True but none of them can actually perform and entertain people :/ 

highlikegaga

"Both 2017 and 2018 played host to an utter litany of flops. Katy Perry, Kesha, Lorde, Fergie, Miley Cyrus, Timberlake, and Swift, all of whom recently owned the zeitgeist, have released notably underperforming albums; half of those albums failed to achieve a single top 10 hit."

Gaga no longer being labeled as a 'flop' and ARTPOP and Joanne are nowhere to be found in those sentences.

tenor.gif?itemid=3579688

It's time for the "was ARTPOP a flop?" threads to stop. SINCE NO ONE outside some stan culture members and some GGD members thinks that.

there were bigger flops and ARTPOP and Joanne are considered a success compared to them. :vegas:

As a little monster I'm so happy at them basically sh*tting on most stars EXCEPT for gags.

as a pop music listener, I feel sad and agree with some of the points made.

As a little monster AND a pop music listener I know she will come tru and save pop music once and for all. :tony:

Archived