Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is White Female Pop Dead?

PunkTheFunk

Featured Posts

RAMROD

Yes, for now but it will go back up again. Pop music is one of main genre, it will never fade away. It is just in a cycle. One time it is on top and it is below on the ither. I wouldn't worry about it. Just enjoy what offered. It is good to expand your taste anyway.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ with birds I share this lonely view (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lord Temptation

Gaga already predicted the decay of the pop superstar back in 2013 during ARTPOP.

She knew what was coming.

Wolf

I think it's just a matter of tastes and trends. 2000's R&B was there before gaga, then edm, then the JB tropical sound in 2014, and now, hiphop and rap. I just want gaga to innovate a fresh new sound tbh.

PMKKARDASHiAN

Gaga took us from urban to pop in 2008. 

I expect gaga to take us from urban to pop in 2018. 

giphy.gif

High Princess

Music is cyclical. Pop isn't the hot **** right now, hip hop and bands are getting their shine. Give it time and pop girls will be on top again.

Delulu Rogers

This article is a joke. Obviously gaga, Katy and Taylor are losing cultural relevancy, that's what happens when your 10+ years in the industry. It's unfair to mention gaga at all in this since she didn't even try to be popular or have an impact on pop culture with Joanne.

The whole trump presidency thing is kinda dumb too. We're just in a time where pop girls and music are not the thing. Back in 2008-2011 was it the exact opposite and the boys struggled to keep up with the females. It's always changing and will bounce back eventually. We just need a new team of females with fresh ideas and songs to stir the pot again. Besides, gaga could become a cultural force again if she wanted to.

LordEnigma

People need to take a simple socio course to figure out that cultural trends (music, fashion, etc.) are like a pendulum and are cyclical in nature.

Like, come on. It’s not rocket science.

Yuuri
49 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Nowadays if it’s over the top the GP won’t care. They prefer artists with no personality like Ed Sheeran, the Camila / Dua Lipa / Tove Lo / Selena clique, etc

Bish no.

Fingerella
2 hours ago, Saint Hollywood said:

Pop will have her moment again soon

We're just currently going through its Great Depression

78E8AA26-E2AD-41DD-A2F6-DE15F0023566.thu

I really don’t think it will for a long time due to the fact that the internet exists now. It’s a huge game changer and if you look at the world as a whole there are more POC than whites.

Inferno

So aside from the fact that I think a lot of contemporary female pop stars that once reigned but are now getting lukewarm responses from either critics or the public are doing so because they just lost some of their edge and their balls and got a little boring. I have also said time and again that as racial tension grew in this country (and the world at large) people are less down to see some white girl take all this admiration and credit, which I think is one factor of many that play into why Gaga isn't the phenom she used to be and may never be again. Its a reason Miley and Katy arent doing as well. Etc etc. Im not saying its the only reason, im not saying its even the most prominent reason, but just one possible factor among many. And I think its quite a plausible one as well. And I think like less "mainstream" girls or what is considered "alt-pop" have more of a chance at gaining success or recognition right now because if you're white but you're an underdog and not some already established white goddess of sorts, than people are more down for that so you have your Lana's and your Lorde's and your Charlis or whatever and they skate by and have success for the most part.

Chickens in Malibu

I don't think so, it's just that they need to release the right type of music.

Bradley

These artists never left and have been doing fairly good if you look at the stats properly. I mean Joanne is not The Fame Monster, really? Joanne is one of the most successful pop albums in recent years I mean:

watch-lady-gaga-performance-super-bowl-h

The most watched musical event in history, with a viewership of more than 117 million if I'm not mistaken. Received critical acclaim from critics and fans alike.

lady_gaga_greg_noire_coachella_f0252661.

Another high-profile event in Gaga's catalogue, received positive reception from critics and fans alike.

jwt_1.jpg

Despite being cancelled half way, the tour managed to gross $95 million from only 49 shows. Gaga also began to sell out stadiums in the US, for the first time ever, solidifying her as a stronger touring force. Artists like Justin Timberlake and Katy Perry have yet to do this, they're still only playing in arenas despite having been in the business for decades. Now Gaga might not be Taylor Swift or Beyonce, but one day she will play in stadium-only shows. The tour also received critical acclaim.

2018-grammy-awards-60th-lady-gaga-perfor

Joanne is not The Fame Monster. Yes sales-wise it's not as impressive as The Fame or The Fame Monster. But is Joanne platinum? Yes. Did Joanne receive a Best Pop Vocal Album Grammy nomination? Yes. Did Million Reasons receive a Best Pop Solo Performance Grammy nomination? Yes. Did Witness manage to get nominated? No. (I love Katy Perry but Gaga is doing far better than her contemporaries if you look at these facts). This is longevity we're talking about. This is Gaga's FIFTH album, it's not her prime but the fact that she manages to stay relevant is impressive as it is.

a-star-is-born.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

Can we also talk about how she managed to find the time to star in an Academy Award-worthy film alongside an Academy Award nominee in the midst of promoting her new album? Like this era is no less than The Fame Monster if you look at the things she gave us.

So no Gaga is no where near the word 'dead'. She is living to her fullest potential if you look at Joanne itself. Now I'm not sure about Miley Cyrus though, Younger Now was a non-event and ended pretty quickly and there's barely a tour for that, the singles (apart from Malibu) weren't successful.

As for Katy, I kinda enjoyed the Witness era. It spawned two successful singles (Chained to the Rhythm and Swish Swish, and despite the fact that Bon Appetit and Hey Hey Hey were less successful, they had killer videos). It spawned a true worldwide tour that visited Africa, Asia, Australia, North and South America, Europe. And this is barely her prime as well, the fact that she manages to travel around the world from an album that received only lukewarm reception is impressive. She also received $25 million from judging in American Idol in the midst of her busy tour. So yeah, Katy is here to stay if you ask me, and likewise Gaga, she's nowhere near 'dead'.

@KinneyUnderYou Here's a mini post dedicated to Gaga that you have been craving for. :bon:

PunkTheFunk
37 minutes ago, Inferno said:

I have also said time and again that as racial tension grew in this country (and the world at large) people are less down to see some white girl take all this admiration and credit, which I think is one factor of many that play into why Gaga isn't the phenom she used to be and may never be again. Its a reason Miley and Katy arent doing as well. Etc etc. Im not saying its the only reason, im not saying its even the most prominent reason, but just one possible factor among many. And I think its quite a plausible one as well. And I think like less "mainstream" girls or what is considered "alt-pop" have more of a chance at gaining success or recognition right now because if you're white but you're an underdog and not some already established white goddess of sorts, than people are more down for that so you have your Lana's and your Lorde's and your Charlis or whatever and they skate by and have success for the most part.

I think this is a very good point. A lot of people in this thread are so focused on music genres ("R&B will fade away and then dance music will come back and then everything will be fine again") but it's so much bigger than that. There's a massive cultural shift taking place right now; this article called "Pop Culture's Great Awokening" talks about it at length and it's a pretty interesting read -- https://www.thecut.com/2018/01/pop-cultures-great-awokening.html

KURUSHITOVSKA

Of course it's dead, specially while the people who used to consume that kind of music is now only caring about viral girls that have one hit and disappear. Don't you all see it awful that this year "New Rules" is considered a hit but 10 years ago, the hit was Poker Face? Can you see that downgrade? People don't look or don't care for quality anymore, they just consume any basic thing they're given that's been created to go viral on YouTube. Ten years ago we had Madonna releasing Hard Candy, Britney releasing Circus, Xtina with BTB, Kylie with X, the Pussycat Dolls with Doll Domination, etc. And now? Cardi B, Dua Lipa, Charli XCX, Bebe Rexha, Camila etc with some producers that keep doing the same thing again and again, with the same sound, they don't even make choruses now, they take a piece of vocal and sample it. Imagine being now the age we were in 2008, if Gaga released Born This Way today it would be a hard flop, why would a company or a singer invest money in making good albums when no one is going to buy them? 

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

Archived