No new genres for pop music?

RadioIsOurs

Featured Posts

The Child
2 minutes ago, corvus albus said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music

This says something different

Wikipedia as your source :awkney:

« It has its roots in 1940s and 1950s rock and roll, a style which drew heavily on the African-American genres of blues and rhythm and blues »

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RadioIsOurs
1 hour ago, Helxig said:

I wonder when rock will come back around...

If we think about it, it's the first time since it's birth that it has fizzled out THIS much. The last we've seen of it was indie rock. Now it barely takes the form of car commercials. 

The Child
Just now, corvus albus said:

From your Wikipedia source:

”It has its roots in 1940s and 1950s rock and roll, a style which drew heavily on the African-American genres of blues and rhythm and blues”

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

RadioIsOurs
9 minutes ago, CrazyMonster said:

Birth of rock in the 50s? Yeah more like when White people stole it from Black peoples.

Never said anything about it or otherwise but okay...

corvus albus
Just now, CrazyMonster said:

From your Wikipedia source:

”It has its roots in 1940s and 1950s rock and roll, a style which drew heavily on the African-American genres of blues and rhythm and blues”

You implied that it was "stolen" Wikipedia says it was heavily influenced by a music form which drew on african american culture. My other source says that it was an amalgamation of country and blues --> one "white" and one "black" musical form

gagzus

I hope now that queerness is slowly overtaking well... everything, we can revive disco music and TRUE house music after the straights ruined them 

RadioIsOurs
1 minute ago, gagzus said:

I hope now that queerness is slowly overtaking well... everything, we can revive disco music and TRUE house music after the straights ruined them 

Its weird because the current pop landscape does not even reflect the current rise of queer media at all...

gagzus
4 minutes ago, RadioIsOurs said:

Its weird because the current pop landscape does not even reflect the current rise of queer media at all...

I actually had a conversation with a friend of mine yesterday about queerness in pop culture and music, was gonna make a thread but got too scared of being bombarded by rude replies but she said to me the current phase of pop culture is “everyone wants to be gay but not be gay” meaning everyone is taking from queer culture even in the smallest amount I mean the impact of queerness is everywhere from House being a popular EDM subgenre, the irony of rappers saying they don’t “vibe with queers” but also rapping about and wearing archive Versace clothing, the current obsession with straight boys who’re “feminine” (even though they just wear boots, floral shirts, show emotions and have an obsession with the colour pink). The sudden love of drag, so much that we have straight women complaining that they can’t be on a show about queer men who do drag the list goes on and on.

Then we have the rising popularity of artists like Sam Smith, Kim Petras, Harry Styles all LGBTQ+ people. Although I’m sure not many people realise Kim is trans since she’s passable. I think it’s SLOW but queerness is definitely trendy, just a watered down version of it.

RadioIsOurs
5 minutes ago, gagzus said:

I actually had a conversation with a friend of mine yesterday about queerness in pop culture and music, was gonna make a thread but got too scared of being bombarded by rude replies but she said to me the current phase of pop culture is “everyone wants to be gay but not be gay” meaning everyone is taking from queer culture even in the smallest amount I mean the impact of queerness is everywhere from House being a popular EDM subgenre, the irony of rappers saying they don’t “vibe with queers” but also rapping about and wearing archive Versace clothing, the current obsession with straight boys who’re “feminine” (even though they just wear boots, floral shirts, show emotions and have an obsession with the colour pink). The sudden love of drag, so much that we have straight women complaining that they can’t be on a show about queer men who do drag the list goes on and on.

Then we have the rising popularity of artists like Sam Smith, Kim Petras, Harry Styles all LGBTQ+ people. Although I’m sure not many people realise Kim is trans since she’s passable. I think it’s SLOW but queerness is definitely trendy, just a watered down version of it.

Compared to the disco era, the entire 80s, late 90s and early 2010s tho? In an alternate universe where current pop music was as queer as television, Cupcakke would be as big as Cardi B and Trixie Mattel's album would be platinum. :laughga:It's actually rather alarming because it shows that compared to those periods, even if people are more accepting of gays than ever, rather than perhaps unknowingly be a part of it, gay culture seems to be isolating itself further and further away from the mainstream.

Luxe Ford
2 hours ago, Jed said:

veery weird. how will it sound? is it just gonna be white noise?

When I hung out with the Stockholm faction of the Lucky People Center collective at the millenial shift they were into Japqnese noise music, which is very much just white (or maybe brown?) noise.

I can't really see it crossing over to the general public, though.

All in all, new music styles don't appear at a steady pace. In a way, EDM started with Donna Summer/Giorgio Moroder's 'I Feel Love' in the late seventies. 

What happens in Luxe Ford stays in Luxe Ford

gagzus
27 minutes ago, RadioIsOurs said:

Compared to the disco era, the entire 80s, late 90s and early 2010s tho? In an alternate universe where current pop music was as queer as television, Cupcakke would be as big as Cardi B and Trixie Mattel's album would be platinum. :laughga:It's actually rather alarming because it shows that compared to those periods, even if people are more accepting of gays than ever, rather than perhaps unknowingly be a part of it, gay culture seems to be isolating itself further and further away from the mainstream.

It comes in waves and trends though sadly, queerness isn’t as special now because it’s more accepted and that’s why queerness im the 70s & 80s club scenes were more extravagant because it was taboo, but then when AIDs happened and straight people found a way to jab at gay culture and turn it against itself it all changed it seems. Also in my opinion the early 2010s LGBT acceptance wasn’t that genuine as it was just trendy to be pro-gay I think, although it was genuine from some people like Gaga, Katy etc but for most not so much I mean now we’re back to people starting to turn against LGBT people especially Trans people more publicly.

i mean let’s never forget that people who scream “trans rights Now!” who’re cishet were more than likely those people who used to call Gaga a t****y in the late 2000s because it was what? trendy.

but back on the topic of music sorry I got side tracked :laughga: I think because of streaming that will predict and control the next popular genre, for example if someone with strong streaming releases a disco album and it sells well (let’s face it Gaga won’t be the one to set the next trend sadly) it’ll catch on and everyone will make disco music etc it’s down to math and timing imo and streaming has made music trends very unpredictable and inconsistent mainly because nobody makes albums with consistent sonics anymore, just singles that cater to what’s popular thrown into an album of other style of songs 

Helxig
1 hour ago, RadioIsOurs said:

If we think about it, it's the first time since it's birth that it has fizzled out THIS much. The last we've seen of it was indie rock. Now it barely takes the form of car commercials. 

Exactly! It was in full motion during the 90's and early 2000's. Even when I was at high school emo-rock was popular e.g. MCR, Panic, Paramore, Fallout Boy, and many more. 

It'll be interesting to see what a new wave of rock would bring to the modern world. Would we get a full emo-revival period? :laughga: 

I'll be myself until they fƫcking close the coffin.

gagzus
25 minutes ago, Helxig said:

Exactly! It was in full motion during the 90's and early 2000's. Even when I was at high school emo-rock was popular e.g. MCR, Panic, Paramore, Fallout Boy, and many more. 

It'll be interesting to see what a new wave of rock would bring to the modern world. Would we get a full emo-revival period? :laughga: 

I don’t necessarily think Rock was popular per say, it was more down to the teen trend of being “emo, scene, rebellious” whatever because of our generational age at the time, I mean how many billboard number ones can you name off the top of your head that were actual rock from the 1990s to now for example? It might get a revival once the next generation comes around in the 2030s but who knows since queerness and liberalism are the new way to be rebellious to the current reign of millennials, whilst listening to avant garde atmospheric electronica music is the new edgy music style like how rock was in the 90s.

The current “emo” rock is coming from people who’re merging it with hip-hop I believe with acts like Xxxtentacion being the kind of more well known people doing it

Archived