💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

RuPaul's Drag Race

Travis

Featured Posts

ZacharyyyM

I so hope that one of the coming weeks that there is an Adore v Ganja lip sync! That would be the ultimate lip sync especially after everything that has happened between the 2 during this season.

Also, my order is still 100% so far  :whitney:

What do rich gay men care about transphobia or misogyny? What gets me is that the media is only focusing on the term "shemale." The use of the term is devastating, but it isn't even the crux of the issue. 1 in 12 trans women run the risk of being *murdered* during their lifetime. If they're a trans woman of color, it's 1 in 8. That's straight up MURDER, not accounting for the massive amount of violence and hatred that goes against the trans community. AND RuPaul can't make a ****ing apology? RuPaul you profit off of gender performance when people are being killed for being who they ARE, and you can't even say you ****ed up and you're sorry.

No one wants to take issue with the fact that this challenge in question (that aired two weeks ago) required the queens to look at zoomed in photos of women's body parts (thereby objectifying them!) and determine their gender based on the appearance of those body parts. This episode tried to make the claim that there is a discipherable difference between a "biological woman" and a "psychological woman."

When RuPaul says, "we're all born naked and the rest is drag," I don't think he understands that the way he performs gender is MONUMENTALLY different from the way a transperson performs gender (if you wonder why I say "perform," see 'gender performativity'). I'm sorry, honey, but at the end of the day YOU get paid to dress in drag and get worshipped like the grand mahoff. NOBODY pays a transwoman to be herself. At the end of the day, you get to take off your make up and go have fun being a cis gay male. Meanwhile, somewhere else in this country a trans person's life is in danger because people like you perpetuate the hatred against the trans community.

You are NOT objectified in the way a (trans)woman is objectified. You do not have to deal with the social consequences of being a (trans)woman. I'm tired of the gay community not giving a **** about women and trans people. Once you got marriage, did you suddenly feel the need to join your straight cis brethren in fighting against everyone else?

heavyMetal, did you perhaps mean to quote somebody else? :confused:

Regardless, I'll comment on the issue at hand, because I do think the discussion that has arisen out of this mini-challenge is valuable and needs to happen.

I myself DEFINITELY had issues with the Female or Shemale game, although I don't personally feel it's my place to tell a professional transvestite that they can't use the word "shemale," or even "tranny" for that matter.

I find the academic left's approach to language and politically correct terminology woefully simplistic. Just as simplistic as the idiot bigots who are like "if black people can use the 'n' word, then so can I."

Both of these approaches to language erase the nuance of context. They hang language's meaning and use entirely on whether or not somebody is part of a minority. Don't get me wrong: who uses a word absolutely can inflect its meaning. But so does whom it is said to, what the user's intent is, the specific time and place in which it is used, the context of the rest of the conversation, and so on and so forth. Language and its meaning is determined through context, and context has a near infinite number of facets. To say you have to be a member of a minority that a slur is targeted at to investigate or alter that term's meaning treats language as a monolith, and treating language as a monolith reifies the very epistimological systems and paradigms that treat identity as a monolith. And those systems and epistemes are where the violence truly stems from.

Not to mention that the whole conversation around these terms also supports the idea of trans and cis as a strict binary, and strict binaries are usually overly simplistic and unhelpful (I think recognizing the difference between cis and trans is important, especially in terms of understanding privilege, but we also need to recognize that cis and trans can exist on a spectrum so-to-speak, too. For example, where does somebody who identifies as bigender, or agender, or genderqueer fall?) Again, drag queens--professional transvestites--might not be trans, but they could be classed under the larger trans* umbrella. And, like I said, I don't think it's my place--or anybody else's--to tell a professional transvestite that they can't play with those terms, especially because--and this I can guarantee you--those terms have been lobbed at queens as slurs. Do I think drag queens have it as bad as trans men and women? No, of course not. Do I think we've completely lost the script when our rhetoric turns into an "oppression pissing contest?" Yes. I should note, this doesn't mean I'm okay every time I hear one of those words come out of a queen's mouth. Again, that depends on all sorts of other aspects of context.

My problem with the Female or Shemale game was that I found it pretty traditionally misogynistic (especially where Chyna was concerned), and that the emphasis on the game was on "clocking" and "passing," which are obviously very delicate subjects that I think should be treated with a greater level of intelligence and understanding. Not all trans people feel it necessary to try and pass (or actually might be unable to for any number of reasons), but that doesn't mean we should treat their gender identity as any less authentic, and games like this work against that idea. And, of course, being "fishy" for a queen may be an artistic statement or point of pride, but for a trans person it can actually be a matter of being exposed to life-threatening physical violence. So, I found the game deeply problematic, but I found a lot of the outrage sadly misplaced and emphasizing the wrong things.

If anybody's really interested in further exploring some of these complex issues--and some of the complex issues at the heart of drag, period--I recommend hopping over to Netflix and watching Paris is Burning and really taking some time to process it (my guess is a lot of people in this thread have seen it), and then seek out bell hooks' response to the film. And then seek out Judith Butler's response to both hooks' response and the film itself.

Edited by kupo

Dave Cookie

Based on the number of looks from previews and stuff we already know who's going home basically every week from now until the final 4

Which is? I'm not that good of a detective sadly

Which is? I'm not that good of a detective sadly

top 4 based off the number of looks we have

Adore, Ben, Bianca, Courtney

Dunk96

To be perfectly honest. :manicure:

They're all perfect anyways,especially my homegurl Courtney.

Edited by kandimonroe

This is what I love about Bianca :lmao: I can't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a71V1gYiDJg

I wonder what she said to get him to act like that. I'm glad Bianca told him off. I'm loving Bianca more and more!

Edited by Morbid

EthanPamyu

i didn't know about this thread ugh. If only i knew about it sooner  :nooo:  

n0ne

I wonder what she said to get him to act like that. I'm glad Bianca told him off. I'm loving Bianca more and more!

Apparently it was a joke about Latinos not paying taxes or something.

"My people… need to let our bitchiness out. Otherwise, it turns to bile and poisons us"

JanPianoMusic

This week's episode was so funny! Milk's face when she said about Trinity "A disclaimer, girl, ...", Adore saying "She's everything I want to be when I'm 57", Darienne reading Adore and during Untucked, Laganja's face when Ben cleared her throat... xD

Darienne is being way too b---hy towards Ben, she's starting to come across as very bitter. There's no way she's sending Ben home!

I really loved Adore's rap! I have been following his YouTube channel (/DannyNoriega) for two years now and I really recognised his Nicki Minaj video. :) She was the only one who deserved to win! Yay, Adore! :)

My love for Bianca Del Rio keeps growing! 

I noticed that too! Not a very appropriate trailer, if you ask me. 

I also have a question, the challenges of the next episodes always appear on Wikipedia, does anyone know where they find this? Or are those just rumours? If they aren't, it is quite clear to me that

Bianca is going to be in the top 3. I don't think she'll go home selling some make-up , 

definitely not performing stand-up or making a wedding dress! Those were the challenges predicted anyway, ...

You will never please everyone.

Dave Cookie

that makes me so happy. Exactly who I wanted. Has your opinion of Adore changed at all?

that makes me so happy. Exactly who I wanted. Has your opinion of Adore changed at all?

No, the editing is making it as to where she's more tolerable to watch

But she still gets heavily criticized on the runway and always messes up in challenges but appears perfect in the finished product

She's getting a "most improved" edit rather than a winning edit

ZacharyyyM

I also have a question, the challenges of the next episodes always appear on Wikipedia, does anyone know where they find this? Or are those just rumours? 

I think in the US they have a LOGO tv app where they show a 10 minute preview to the next week episode. That would be enough time to show the mini-challenge and Ru telling them what the main-challenge is. :)

Bianca only had about 3 looks in the previews and trailers. The person with the most looks from the trailer, the Untucked intro and the first episode of the season was Courtney with 8 looks, then a couple of girls with 5 and 6 looks. And at this moment there have been 6 weeks and 5 different looks from each of them. I dunno just my observations lol.

This is what I love about Bianca :lmao: I can't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a71V1gYiDJg

It's so good haha, Pandora Boxx tweeted about it yesterday :P