Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
band

The Smiths

AlexanderMagno

Featured Posts

AlexanderMagno

smiths.jpg

The Smiths were an English rock band formed in Manchester in 1982. The band consisted of vocalist Morrissey, guitarist Johnny Marr, bassist Andy Rourke and drummer Mike Joyce. Critics have called them one of the most important bands to emerge from the British independent music scene of the 1980s. Q magazine's Simon Goddard argued in 2007 that the Smiths were "the one truly vital voice of the '80s", "the most influential British guitar group of the decade" and the "first indie outsiders to achieve mainstream success on their own terms". NME named the Smiths the "most influential artist ever" in a 2002 poll.

They released four studio albums, The Smiths (1984), Meat Is Murder (1985), The Queen Is Dead (1986) and Strangeways, Here We Come (1987). Four of their albums (including three studio albums) appeared on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. They won a significant following and remain cult favourites, although they had limited commercial success outside the UK while they were still together. The band broke up in 1987 due to internal tensions and have turned down several offers to reunite.

The band's focus on a guitar, bass, and drum sound, and their fusion of 1960s rock and post-punk, were a repudiation of synthesiser-based contemporary dance-pop – the style popular in the 1980s. Morrissey's complex, literate lyrics combined themes about ordinary people with mordant humour.

So, are there any fans of this old band? :selena: Morrissey is a gay icon by the way, so I guess most of you could follow him a bit.

Their music really is amazing. They made a bigger impression in me during my teen years, so probably lots of you want to check them out. Specially "There is a Light That Never Goes Out", as a young conflicted teenager that song spoke a great deal to me.

tomsches

One of my biggest inspirations. My favourite songs are: 

I know it's over

There is a Light that never goes out 

I also saw Morrissey live 6 years ago. That was my first concert. Too bad he's been acting a Bit weird lately

AlexanderMagno
5 minutes ago, tomsches said:

I also saw Morrissey live 6 years ago. That was my first concert. Too bad he's been acting a Bit weird lately

I was once about to see him, but he cancelled. Maybe one day!

Arcanum
13 minutes ago, Doot said:

How Soon Is Now is an EXCEPTIONAL SONG :tony: 

Those riffs...

One of the songs that scarred my 16's.

I Wantth your Love...I Wantth your Love.

brizoda

My favorite songs are :

This Charming Man

The Boy with the Thorn in His Side

Panic

There Is a Light That Never Goes Out

I Won't Share You

And my fav album is :

Strangeways, Here We Come

Luxe Ford

TEENAGE ANGST!

Morissey makes me want to shun vegetables forever, but The Queen Is Dead is a marsterpiece of an album.

Joe Dallesandro from Warhol's Flesh on the cover. 

"Her very Lowness with her head in a sling, I'm very sorry but it sounds like a wonderful thing".

Alsin Delon on the cover, who had an illegitimate son with Nico, Andy Warhol supestar and Velvet Underground singer.

What happens in Luxe Ford stays in Luxe Ford

Archived