đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

How do Streaming Artists make money?

Mr S

Featured Posts

I'm talking about the newer girls that are doing well on streaming (Camilla, Ariana, etc). They literally have like no album or song sales. How do they make money? Especially since the label has to pay for all the promotion and payola. Touring only gets them so much. I wonder if that is why someone like Gaga or Pink don't get that kind of payola support from their labels. Because regardless of their song performance, their names are huge and thus they will make plenty of money from touring. So why bother paying for the song success? Whereas girls like Camilla really need that kind of label support.

Andrew Warhola

Mostly GoFundMe donations and shoplifting

she's a party girl with a bad habit for drugs

mrsgagamonster

Touring pays a lot more for mainstream artists though. and the deals they're signing are not just album deals, they're touring, album, and sometimes even endorsements in 360 record deals. So if you're a heavy hitter you're making bank, but if you're not, you're making less.

Magneto
4 minutes ago, Andrew Warhola said:

Mostly GoFundMe donations and shoplifting

I also heard Camila is very good at couponing to help her save some cash

Free my mind

KyliesChild

It depends on the streaming service actually since they have different payout rates per stream. Surprisingly, Napster is one of the most profitable streaming services out there in terms of how much they pay rising artists. 

Napster – $0.0167

Tidal – $0.0110

Apple Music – $0.0064

Google Play – $0.0059

Deezer – $0.0056

Spotify – $0.0038

Pandora – $0.0011

YouTube – $0.0006

Camila is getting around $170-175k on Spotify alone monthly. 

doppelganger
3 minutes ago, KyliesChild said:

It depends on the streaming service actually since they have different payout rates per stream. Surprisingly, Napster is one of the most profitable streaming services out there in terms of how much they pay rising artists. 

Napster – $0.0167

Tidal – $0.0110

Apple Music – $0.0064

Google Play – $0.0059

Deezer – $0.0056

Spotify – $0.0038

Pandora – $0.0011

YouTube – $0.0006

This. An artist that sells a million singles on itunes make less than 100k. It’s really not that great to be a “sales artist” these days when sales are so bad. 

There was a time when people used to sell 10m+ albums and they still went bankrupt. 

The money isn’t really in the music but endorsements, touring, etc. 

KyliesChild
1 minute ago, doppelganger said:

This. An artist that sells a million singles on itunes make less than 100k. It’s really not that great to be a “sales artist” these days when sales are so bad. 

There was a time when people used to sell 10m+ albums and they still went bankrupt. 

The money isn’t really in the music but endorsements, touring, etc. 

TLC is a group that immediately comes to mind. 

Sneaky Oliver

They don’t :trollga: maybe that’s why major artists don’t usually worry about streaming. 

I’m on my Legacy Act era

15 minutes ago, KyliesChild said:

Napster – $0.0167

Tidal – $0.0110

Apple Music – $0.0064

Google Play – $0.0059

Deezer – $0.0056

Spotify – $0.0038

Pandora – $0.0011

YouTube – $0.0006

Interesting. 170k per month isn't bad at all, but surely a lot of it has to go back to the label because of the payola, and all the videos etc?

14 minutes ago, mrsgagamonster said:

Touring pays a lot more for mainstream artists though. and the deals they're signing are not just album deals, they're touring, album, and sometimes even endorsements in 360 record deals. So if you're a heavy hitter you're making bank, but if you're not, you're making less.

I definitely get that, but my post is mostly directed at those that aren't heavy hitters, like Camilla who probably doesn't make much on tour. And then what about someone like Sza who sells even less and her touring audience is even smaller? How do they survive? 

doppelganger
7 minutes ago, KyliesChild said:

TLC is a group that immediately comes to mind. 

That’s exactly who I was referring to. It’s tragic. But this was a time before artists were seen as a brand. I think it was Benny Medina and J Lo that completely rethink what it means to be that. She didn’t sell that many albums but there were fashion line, perfume, films.

It also certainly helps to write a hit song that people will play for decades to come. And make money off royalties and streams from those songs. 

19 minutes ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

I definitely get that, but my post is mostly directed at those that aren't heavy hitters, like Camilla who probably doesn't make much on tour. And then what about someone like Sza who sells even less and her touring audience is even smaller? How do they survive? 

Same question 

ProdigyARTPOP
23 minutes ago, GrigioGirl1 said:

from songwriting, publishing deals, deals with GAP and Guess, merchandise, and much more

Archived