Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
achievement

The "Joanne effect": Pop stars go country

shame

Featured Posts

Mister Gaga

She literally sets trends with almost everything she does. With The Fame, everybody jumped into electro pop, with TFM every single pop star started to do big MV, outrageous outfits and complex performances. With Born This Way, the 'empowering yourself' trend was in everybody's albums and songs. Now, with Joanne, everybody goes pop/country, intimate stripped down music and aesthetic.

1200mh.gif

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saade Baena

Some guys says that Gaga has been forgotten and her mainstream career is finish ("new Cyndi Lauper"), but she continues to dictate trend and people don't take they eyes off her

13VictorC

I like to believe that Gaga sets the trend. But I also think that she and her team are very smart, and they anticipate what's coming next. Bobby Campbell even said that they keep their "ears to the ground in terms of her place in the culture".

StrawberryBlond

It's true and I'm so glad big entertainment outlets are reporting on it. About time. A bit late in the day considering the era's over and the Grammys are done, but hey, better late than never. So glad they threw in Kylie as well because her new music is totally out of left field, something nobody could've predicted. Her upcoming album even has the same name as a country band's album! It's amazing how Gaga has such an effect on pop culture and yet, her impact has been denied more and more as time has gone on. I hope this is the moment it's all changing and she gets her dues.

1 hour ago, Mister Gaga said:

She literally sets trends with almost everything she does. With The Fame, everybody jumped into electro pop, with TFM every single pop star started to do big MV, outrageous outfits and complex performances. With Born This Way, the 'empowering yourself' trend was in everybody's albums and songs. Now, with Joanne, everybody goes pop/country, intimate stripped down music and aesthetic.

1200mh.gif

Also, don't forget that after AP, other artists started going down a more experimental, eclectic route. Miley released her bizarre Dead Petz album in 2015, which was all over the place musically and involved her singing songs about weed. Rihanna finally released Anti in 2016 which was a very experimental RnB route that was unlike anything she'd ever done before. There were a whole lot of other artists around 2014 and onwards claiming that they wanted to experiment more with their next album and do a different kind of genre. Even big names were starting to be discard mainstream sounds that normally brought them success. Almost like the whole "f**k you pop music, this is ARTPOP, free yourself!" moment.

33 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

It's true and I'm so glad big entertainment outlets are reporting on it. About time. A bit late in the day considering the era's over and the Grammys are done, but hey, better late than never. So glad they threw in Kylie as well because her new music is totally out of left field, something nobody could've predicted. Her upcoming album even has the same name as a country band's album! It's amazing how Gaga has such an effect on pop culture and yet, her impact has been denied more and more as time has gone on. I hope this is the moment it's all changing and she gets her dues.

Also, don't forget that after AP, other artists started going down a more experimental, eclectic route. Miley released her bizarre Dead Petz album in 2015, which was all over the place musically and involved her singing songs about weed. Rihanna finally released Anti in 2016 which was a very experimental RnB route that was unlike anything she'd ever done before. There were a whole lot of other artists around 2014 and onwards claiming that they wanted to experiment more with their next album and do a different kind of genre. Even big names were starting to be discard mainstream sounds that normally brought them success. Almost like the whole "f**k you pop music, this is ARTPOP, free yourself!" moment.

THIS!

I completely agree and it's sad to think that Gaga's influence is becoming merely subliminal. This makes Gaga's words about how they'll truly appreciate her when she's gone more apt than before. But at least the amount of utter respect when she's mentioned from time to time is finally there, compared to her previous eras.

Also Katy's ""woke"" pop and new ""avant garde"" image definitely looks like it took cues from ARTPOP. It's almost as if pop stars are crafting their careers after Gaga's :laughga:

angels forever, forever angels

Repost from this Remixed ATRL thread : https://atrl.net/forums/topic/113173-the-joanne-effect-pop-stars-go-country/

Gaga is a pionnier, again ! :firega:

Call it the Joanne effect.

When Lady Gaga released her fifth studio album in the fall of 2016, no one expected the pop diva behind dance floor fillers like "Poker Face," "Born This Way" and "Applause" to make a hard detour into Americana-courting, country-inflected folk-pop-rock pastiche, but that's exactly what we got. The pink cowboy hat donned on the album cover that came to define the era in her career was no random fashion choice. Rather, it was indicative of the singer's decision to country-fy every genre she dabbled in on the record, as if each track was sporting a pink cowboy hat of its own.

However surprising Gaga's make-under was—and make no mistake, to some die hard fans who'd fallen in love with the diva's outre fashion and unparalleled electropop, the move was perplexing, to say the least—no one could've predicted that she was merely the beginning of a trend in pop music that's still kicking up dust today.

The first signal that a handful of pop music's biggest names would be following in Gaga's footsteps in an attempt to connect with "this girl in the middle of the country somewhere crying her eyes out in the field," as she revealed to E! News she had in mind when crafting Joanne, came in May of 2017 when Miley Cyrus debuted "Malibu." Despite her protestations that the hippie-country chic vibe was "who I am right now," as she told Harper's Bazaar, and the stylistic choice to pay tribute to Elvis Presley in the music video for the album's title track and most of her promotional appearances, the attempt to get country music fans (or even her once-devoted pop fan base) to say they loved her back never gained much traction.  

Around the same time, a more successful country-influenced reinvention was taking place, as Kesha began her powerful Phoenix-like rise from the ashes. With legal proceeding preventing the musician from releasing anything new, Kesha embarked on a world tour in the summer of 2016 that saw the singer perform country and rock reworkings of her hit singles, hinting at things to come. While the single [Praying], which would earn the critical consensus of bring the artist's most authentic song ever as well as a Grammy nomination for Best Pop Solo Performance, didn't bear many hallmarks of country-influenced pop, the ensuing album, Rainbow, was littered with tracks clearly inspired by who Kesha referred to as her "true" musical influences: Dolly Parton, T. Rex, The Rolling Stones and Iggy Pop.

Of course, talk of this pop-gone-country trend would be incomplete without turning to Justin Timberlake's big return ahead of his Pepsi Super Bowl LII Halftime Show performance with his fifth studio album, Man of the Woods. "It sounds more like where I've come from than any other music I've ever made," he told The Hollywood Reporter before the project even had a title or release date. "It's Memphis. It's Southern American music. But I want to make it sound modern — at least that's the idea right now."

With pop music's sudden fascination with all things Americana (and perhaps more likely, with reaching a middle American audience who's been vocal about feeling ignored by mainstream entertainment), it's clear this trend isn't done just yet. Even Australian-born international pop star Kylie Minogue, someone whose entire life couldn't seem further removed from the American South, is dabbling in the country-influenced waters. 

http://www.eonline.com/news/911057/justin-timberlake-isn-t-alone-inside-the-year-that-pop-went-country-to-mixed-results

The Master

I'd def say she has brought it back into fashion, but most of those artists have dabbled in the country scene, even kylie!

bloody g
6 minutes ago, The Master said:

I'd def say she has brought it back into fashion, but most of those artists have dabbled in the country scene, even kylie!

The GP loves Gaga so much that they love ignoring these details just to worship her more and more

『𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝』

River

Even Shania Twain went Country, it's amazing!

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

Archived