Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
achievement

The "Joanne effect": Pop stars go country

shame

Featured Posts

DeleteMyAccount
1 minute ago, Ziggy said:

Ok but let’s be real this outfit was classic Gaga. I doubt she took any cue from Beyoncé on this one. She would have worn this any time over the past few years and has worn some variation of it. Still, with regards to Beyoncé, I’d say she doesn’t really bring in new trends. She typically hits on them right before they’re most popular or at their most popular. Gaga, by contrast, usually does it earlier so she seems less cool or relevant until others do it. I love Lemonade, don’t get me wrong, but the music there wasn’t really a newly rising trend. It was all already there and popular, she just did it incredibly well.

It's Beyonce. She brought a lot in 2016 haha. Again, when we talk about these major shifts in genre, Beyonce definitely had influences that weren't in her normal repertoire. So I'm going to leave it at that. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Runway
4 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

Fair enough. But let's not assume that anyone in the GP even knew about those Gaga outfits. I still think Beyonce started the trend for the most part.

Lemonade was impactful in that it talked about social issues but it didn’t start any trend, nor has any major publication recognized it as trend setter, unlike Joanne

also, it’s no like anyone who isn’t a stan has seen that Beyonce tour outfit :selena:

DeleteMyAccount
8 minutes ago, Runway said:

Plus you had the description that was never responded to.

DeleteMyAccount
1 minute ago, Runway said:

Lemonade was impactful in that it talked about social issues but it didn’t start any trend, nor has any major publication recognized it as trend setter, unlike Joanne

also, it’s no like anyone who isn’t a stan has seen that Beyonce tour outfit :selena:

Neither have people for Gaga.

It started a trend in my opinion at least. People just don't give her credit for it. There can be multiple people responsible for others hamming it up for the sake of trends.

1 minute ago, ZacharyMark said:

It's Beyonce. She brought a lot in 2016 haha. Again, when we talk about these major shifts in genre, Beyonce definitely had influences that weren't in her normal repertoire. So I'm going to leave it at that. 

What genre, though? Lemonade had a ton of different sounds that all really worked but none of them were new at the time. Love Drought sounded like FKA Twigs, All Night was standard Beyoncé balladry (very great, though), Sorry was fairy standard pop r&b and something not totally out of her wheelhouse. Hold Up I have difficulties with because, yes, it was new for her but it was classic Ezra so idk if I’d call it totally trend setting either. Forward and Pray You Catch me are very new for Beyoncé, but are James Blake through and through. I will say that Daddy Lessons was something new and different (Black Country) but did anyone really follow suit after?

My point is that while Lemonade was a new sound for Beyoncé that pushed her into new territory it didn’t really start new trends as they were already there and she just brought those artists in to help. She made incredibly relevant music that was just dancing around the cusp of mainstream before she dragged it right front and center. Plus, I can’t think of any album specifically that her music influenced post-Lemonade whereas by contrast this article is claiming joanne ushered in a newfound popularity in Americana. The impacts are different.

I don’t see people taking cues from Beyonce but more or less accepting that you can’t replicate or imitate what she did here. The only maybe influence could be the popularity of traditionally African American musical elements but that’s been a long-term trend since before Lemonade and even the self titled.

DeleteMyAccount
4 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

What genre, though? Lemonade had a ton of different sounds that all really worked but none of them were new at the time. Love Drought sounded like FKA Twigs, All Night was standard Beyoncé balladry (very great, though), Sorry was fairy standard pop r&b and something not totally out of her wheelhouse. Hold Up I have difficulties with because, yes, it was new for her but it was classic Ezra so idk if I’d call it totally trend setting either. Forward and Pray You Catch me are very new for Beyoncé, but are James Blake through and through. I will say that Daddy Lessons was something new and different (Black Country) but did anyone really follow suit after?

My point is that while Lemonade was a new sound for Beyoncé that pushed her into new territory it didn’t really start new trends as they were already there and she just brought those artists in to help. She made incredibly relevant music that was just dancing around the cusp of mainstream before she dragged it right front and center. Plus, I can’t think of any album specifically that her music influenced post-Lemonade whereas by contrast this article is claiming joanne ushered in a newfound popularity in Americana. The impacts are different.

I don’t see people taking cues from Beyonce but more or less accepting that you can’t replicate or imitate what she did here. The only maybe influence could be the popularity of traditionally African American musical elements but that’s been a long-term trend since before Lemonade and even the self titled.

I think more than one artist can issue a resurgence in inspiration for others whether that be Bey or Gaga. Joanne had many different sounds too. It's a matter of what we as listeners and visuals like. And I personally see many connection from Bey to Gaga to Miley to Kesha. There' nothing wrong with that. I experience music in that way. But the title of this thread said "pop stars go country". So naturally, when I see Beyonce singing at the CMAs with the Dixie Chicks and wearing a cowboy hat at her Formation tour, I'm naturally going to say that she was part of this new trend in pop music. 

just another gay
On February 5, 2018 at 2:43 PM, BornSimon said:

What exactly on Music sounds even remotely country-influenced apart from "Don't Tell Me" and maybe "Gone"? It was an aesthetic she went for, it was the image, the fashion, but not the music. "Joanne" has clear country influences and references, even lyrically.

yes. also Music does not carry that "back to the roots/ family-inspired" theme but JT and Miley's album surely does share it with Joanne.

Everyone can wear the cowboy hat but brand the country aesthetic as something "personal/runs in the family" is not common for pop singers. Maybe it makes sense for Miley but JT?

Bradley
9 hours ago, TheShameMonster said:

your avi

e37f88f9ede9813c1f1d40a4eff5717e.gif

:giveup:

We love Jamie. :giveup:

I kinda like the woman in your avi too, I'm supposed to see her live soon. :hor:

there are still fans of gaga do not like Joanne

i have honestly ranked Joanne my no.1 Gaga album alongside with BTW, they are too close to be fair to be equal in my heart.

scallywally
On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:59 PM, Mister Gaga said:

, KD langShe literally sets trends with almost everything she does. With The Fame, everybody jumped into electro pop, with TFM every single pop star started to do big MV, outrageous outfits and complex performances. With Born This Way, the 'empowering yourself' trend was in everybody's albums and songs. Now, with Joanne, everybody goes pop/country, intimate stripped down music and aesthetic.

1200mh.gif

What planet?

Not just you, im not blaming you :)

This thread is hilarious.. :toofunny:

Kylie releases a county electro song ripping off gaga.  She did it the first time in 1994!!!!

Miley and Madge being brought into it and JT whos from the South, KD Lang 20 years ago.. err Gaga was last. :toofunny: Lisa Marie Presley? Im laughing so much. Itll be Taylor next, S.Sisters?. 

Gaga did it years after and people are saying its influenced others?? Im choking.

StrawberryBlond

I was so pleased to see that there was a section added to the Joanne Wikipedia entitled "impact." In it, it mentioned everything that us fans have been saying for quite some time now - she did start a trend. And it turns out that Noah Cyrus and Nelly Furtado have explicitly said that they were inspired by the album. I mean, Noah sang a cover of MR when she did her opening set for Katy's Witness tour! It's so good to see her finally get the recognition and have it immortalised online forever.

On 2/7/2018 at 1:18 AM, ZacharyMark said:

Fair enough. But let's not assume that anyone in the GP even knew about those Gaga outfits. I still think Beyonce started the trend for the most part.

It doesn't matter who did and didn't know about those outfits. What's the public got to do with it? Gaga decided to wear her Grammys outfit as a throwback to her looks of old, how was her decision influenced by the public? And exactly how many other artists have you seen wearing Beyonce's still post-Lemonade? Beyonce, as always, has success for herself and makes an impact but it doesn't rub off on others. The only trends she ever really started were the Single Ladies dance and surprise album drops. When I think of Beyonce, her fashion is one of the last things I think of. I don't recall her ever wearing anything that went on to be worn by many other celebrities.

On 2/7/2018 at 1:42 AM, ZacharyMark said:

But the title of this thread said "pop stars go country". So naturally, when I see Beyonce singing at the CMAs with the Dixie Chicks and wearing a cowboy hat at her Formation tour, I'm naturally going to say that she was part of this new trend in pop music. 

Considering Gaga released the extremely country You And I back in 2011, I'd say she was the one who kick-started it all, in that case. Beyonce made one country song on an album with no other country references and it wasn't even a single whose music video isn't even on YouTube. Gaga made multiple country inspired songs on an album with lots of country influence throughout and shows that influence in her music videos. Beyonce's vision clearly didn't go as deep as Gaga's in regards to the country element. I'm actually surprised a Texas native took this long to release a country influenced song.

On 7. 2. 2018 at 6:31 PM, scallywally said:

What planet?

Not just you, im not blaming you :)

This thread is hilarious.. :toofunny:

Kylie releases a county electro song ripping off gaga.  She did it the first time in 1994!!!!

Miley and Madge being brought into it and JT whos from the South, KD Lang 20 years ago.. err Gaga was last. :toofunny: Lisa Marie Presley? Im laughing so much. Itll be Taylor next, S.Sisters?. 

Gaga did it years after and people are saying its influenced others?? Im choking.

Gaga released an album with a sound that wasn't typical for that time and influenced other artists. Ofc there were others who did it before her, but she did it years after them when the trend was already forgotten

If the tropical sound trend in music dies and Gaga brings in back after 20 years and other artists will be influenced by her, she will set a new trend 

Now bye:bye:

moonsago

I’ve been telling you all the impact of Joanne is real but ya’ll didn’t believe, ya’ll didn’t believe 

On 2/3/2018 at 7:59 PM, Mister Gaga said:

She literally sets trends with almost everything she does. With The Fame, everybody jumped into electro pop, with TFM every single pop star started to do big MV, outrageous outfits and complex performances. With Born This Way, the 'empowering yourself' trend was in everybody's albums and songs. Now, with Joanne, everybody goes pop/country, intimate stripped down music and aesthetic.

1200mh.gif

I'll agree with you on The Fame and TFM but Firework, ****ing Perfect and We R Who We R came out months before Born This Way.

Archived