Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

The Weeknd won't work with H&M again

OBEY

Featured Posts

DeleteMyAccount
Just now, codymonster said:

Agreed!
Ps. I appreciate your willingness to present your point in a direct but kind way. You stuck to your guns but was willing to be understanding of other peoples' perspectives. In doing this, you also helped me see it from a different perspective. Kudos to you; the world needs more of this :golfclap:

Thanks, I try. But sometimes I can be bitch. lol

My intent is never to harm. People need to learn to stop finding the negative in everyone's posts and instead just calmly ask whether or not they meant something that may have come off as rude or misleading.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Supersonic
56 minutes ago, kvnrp said:

Not at all.

As a matter of fact, as a European, I don't see that picture to be racist at all. Only after I saw the tweet and this thread, I noticed that some people think that way.

That's bullshit, German people refer to black people as "monkeys/gorillas/donkeys" in a derogatory way all the damn time. Hell, I even know "woke" liberal people who do social justice work who have no qualms about using the n-word.

Racism and anti-blackness is not an American problem, it's a global one. It just looks different.

I just think people should stop being assholes. :sweat: Like, can't yall sit around and joke with eachother and make art and listen to music and watch movies, and just enjoy one another without worrying about all the meaningless sh|t?

Whispering
8 minutes ago, codymonster said:

Ya, but with his fame and following, he knew exactly what he was doing by posting that tweet. I just wish he could have used that voice for something ACTUALLY racist and damaging. Not a little sweater that COULD possibly maybe be seen in a racist light. That's all

Maybe he already talked to a representative of the company and got nowhere so he decided to go public with his displeasure? (I don't know this...just throwing it out as a possibility.)

In Europe, this picture may not have been alarming, but in the US...it sets off a three alarm fire when seen. They really should have a multi-cultural marketing team to check over anything going out to represent their company. 

15 minutes ago, codymonster said:

Ya, but with his fame and following, he knew exactly what he was doing by posting that tweet. I just wish he could have used that voice for something ACTUALLY racist and damaging. Not a little sweater that COULD possibly maybe be seen in a racist light. That's all

What a post. :golfclap:

JusKeepBreathin
17 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Bit of a surprise that no one present during this whole set-up thought to say anything, or at the very least, suggest this particular design should be put on a white child. But honestly, not seeing a problem doesn't necessarily point at racism but rather, a lack of it, since the creators might have had no immediate correlation in their mind between black people and monkeys. Which is quite a good thing, surely? It's like saying a phrase that had unintended innuendo. It doesn't mean you have a dirty mind, the problem lies with those who had their minds in the gutter. Once, just for once, consider innocent intentions when it comes to racial issues. The belief that all white people practice subtle racism is seriously grinding my gears these days. It harms the innocents more than the actual racists.

And can we stop with all this overblown need to declare that you're "boycotting" something just because you disagree with the most minor of transgressions? My uncle loves Jaffa Cakes and takes 3 a day to work to eat. The company used to sell the product in packs of 24, which was ideal for him because he works 4 days a week. 3 Jaffa Cakes for 4 days of the week works out to 12 a week, hence, a pack of 24 could last him for 2 weeks. But now, due to the recession, Jaffa Cakes have reduced their packs to contain just 20. He now says he's boycotting them as they "no longer fit into my working week." This is the same guy who refused to go to Safeway again after they wouldn't refund him for a tv...even though Safeway has now become Morrisons which doesn't even sell tvs anymore. This is modern outrage, folks. What's sad is that it isn't even coming from spoiled rich people either.

You've used that word far too liberally. There is not one racist comment yet. Disagreeing with the idea that a shirt was racist does not mean that you are racist. Try looking at a situation critically and openly and make up your own mind about it instead of believing what you're "told" to believe. For the record, a lot of liberals are a bit too liberal when it comes to race, but not in the way you think. A good example is automatically defending people of colour when they commit crimes and even assume they're innocent, yet drag whites to the pits for the exact same behaviour and never assume their innocence. Not exactly what I'd call liberal.

Kids of all races have been called monkeys for years, in reference to their cheekiness and energy. I was called one, as were many other children and we were white. There's even a comedian who has a knitted monkey mascot who says "Cheeky monkey!" Look at the scene from the Princess Diaries when 3 white characters were said to be "acting like monkeys" because they were making silly noises due to suffering brain freeze from the ice cream. While there is a racial connotation, there is also a perfectly reasonable, innocent connotation as well, which is, 9 times out of 10, the one meant. What would you have said if it was worn by a white child?

It's a Swedish company and I don't know what the deal is in Sweden but certainly as someone from the UK, I was called a monkey as a kid, as were many of other kids, all of us white. It's just a reference to our proclivity for climbing on things, our cheekiness, our loudness. Ever heard the phrase "carrying on like a barrel of monkeys"? Don't get me wrong, we're aware of another connotation but it also means something perfectly innocent simultaneously. Just like how in the UK, we have words that are innocent but mean something different in America and vice versa.

We know there's more to racism than those specific things. But there's simply not enough evidence in this case to say there was any malicious intent.

Prejudice is pretty easy to recognise. We are taught how to pinpoint it. You won't see me defending people who do overt, unquestioned racism. But you will see me defend people who had completely valid things to say that could be interpreted as not racist at all. There isn't just one way of looking at things, you know.

Good one! And don't forget mayo as well! If I saw a white person wearing a hoodie that said "I love Jacob's cream crackers" or "I love Hellman's mayonnaise," I'd think it was quirky...and move on with my life. It's up to us if we want to read more into something.

Just one other question? That image of the child in the monkey sweat shirt when I looked it up every picture was from a website that did not have the American $ sign. So was it something the US could see too or just other countries? I'm asking because a lot of the articles I read and the talk on the radio here seems to point it being something Americans could see on the website. I always found H&M to be a very inclusive retailer. The whole thing kind of doesn't make sense. That picture would have had to be approved by at least ten people before it went to print or on the website.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Craven Moorecox

Perception is reality in the eyes of the beholder. Some people may feel that rascism is not a problem in America while others may consider it as an on going battle. Even if H&M’s action weren’t intentional, which I don’t think it was, you can’t say people shouldn’t be offended by aword that has had/still does have a negative meaning for many of people. For those who didn’t know about the term, you’re lucky that you don’t encounter overt racism. I live in the south, and I have encountered people who are openly prejudice and people who do it discreetly. I don’t expect everyone to understand my perception of rascism, however, I do expect you to respect why I can find something offensive.

You can’t tell someone to get over something that doesn’t affect you :toofunny:

Ryusei

what if a little black kid has monkeys as their favorite animal and wants the sweater because of that? :awkney: 

Musery

Whispering
1 minute ago, Ryusei said:

what if a little black kid has monkeys as their favorite animal and wants the sweater because of that? :awkney: 

You know the answer to that already. 

Ryusei
Just now, Whispering said:

You know the answer to that already. 

uuuuuuuhhhh....

Musery

kvnrp
13 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

That's bullshit, German people refer to black people as "monkeys/gorillas/donkeys" in a derogatory way all the damn time. Hell, I even know "woke" liberal people who do social justice work who have no qualms about using the n-word.

Racism and anti-blackness is not an American problem, it's a global one. It just looks different.

I have never heard that word getting used against black people IRL tho :rip:

Supersonic
6 minutes ago, Doot said:

So we are basing whats right and wrong based on how many times a person gets called a derogatory term? 

That's called grasping at straws. 

No, we are basing what should be right and should be wrong on the inequities that are currently prominent in our society. Black people throughout history have been oppressed, murdered & ridiculed. While in theory "racism" should be a thing of the past, it is not because the structures & systems that were established to oppress black people (and other people of color too) are still intact and working. That spectrum goes from verbal racist abuse & stereotypes all the way through disadvantages in job search, income, housing & insurcance to police brutality & public lynchings.

The Weeknd is black. He, more than anybody, has a right to be offended and say "no, this is bullshit", because he probably had extensive experience being called a monkey by other people in a derogatory way throughout his entire life. Just because it's not life-threatening doesn't mean it's not allowed to be called out or criticized.

Supersonic
1 minute ago, kvnrp said:

I have never heard that word getting used against black people IRL tho :rip:

I literally just overheard two white girls at uni talking about the black guy next to me and referred to him as "that gorilla over there"

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived