Economy 53,183 Posted January 5, 2018 Share Posted January 5, 2018 16 minutes ago, Benji said: Seems kind of pointless to be honest. The wage gap exists for two reasons - Women do the sane thing and generally don't go for extremely high positions that demand 70+ hours of work a week. That's where the real money is and only some men want to go for those kind of roles. Women clock onto a fact of life many men miss, once you have enough money to sustain yourself and enjoy yourself, extra money and more work is not worth it. The other issue that I have found is that a lot of women tend to be terrified to say "no" or demand a raise. I spoke to my line manager and I told him to retain me that I want more money or I will leave. We're now in talks with the owner of the company on how to retain me via a raise since he does not want to lose me. The "problem" is not women, or the law in most western countries, it's actually how we socialise women. Although, like I said... closing the "wage gap" is more a case of finding women willing to sacrifice their entire lives to their careers like a few mad men would. I think thats only part of it. Women do sometimes get payed less for same work due to discrimination and thats not fair. The potential issue im seeing thi is that this will force equal pay even if a female worker making less had nothing to do with her gender Unless a company is unionized they tend to negotiate wage with each worker individually and better workers tend to be able to negotiate for more pay more easily.1 so if men dont even make the same ase eachother how do you determine what equal pay for women is? Also in jobs where they cant perform equally it makes hiring them less desirable with equal pay tho this is a small percentage of jobs Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,183 Posted January 5, 2018 Share Posted January 5, 2018 16 minutes ago, Benji said: Seems kind of pointless to be honest. The wage gap exists for two reasons - Women do the sane thing and generally don't go for extremely high positions that demand 70+ hours of work a week. That's where the real money is and only some men want to go for those kind of roles. Women clock onto a fact of life many men miss, once you have enough money to sustain yourself and enjoy yourself, extra money and more work is not worth it. The other issue that I have found is that a lot of women tend to be terrified to say "no" or demand a raise. I spoke to my line manager and I told him to retain me that I want more money or I will leave. We're now in talks with the owner of the company on how to retain me via a raise since he does not want to lose me. The "problem" is not women, or the law in most western countries, it's actually how we socialise women. Although, like I said... closing the "wage gap" is more a case of finding women willing to sacrifice their entire lives to their careers like a few mad men would. I think thats only part of it. Women do sometimes get payed less for same work due to discrimination and thats not fair. The potential issue im seeing thi is that this will force equal pay even if a female worker making less had nothing to do with her gender Unless a company is unionized they tend to negotiate wage with each worker individually and better workers tend to be able to negotiate for more pay more easily.1 so if men dont even make the same ase eachother how do you determine what equal pay for women is? Also in jobs where they cant perform equally it makes hiring them less desirable with equal pay tho this is a small percentage of jobs Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Fiona Apple 13,006 Posted January 5, 2018 Share Posted January 5, 2018 24 minutes ago, Benji said: Seems kind of pointless to be honest. The wage gap exists for two reasons - Women do the sane thing and generally don't go for extremely high positions that demand 70+ hours of work a week. That's where the real money is and only some men want to go for those kind of roles. Women clock onto a fact of life many men miss, once you have enough money to sustain yourself and enjoy yourself, extra money and more work is not worth it. The other issue that I have found is that a lot of women tend to be terrified to say "no" or demand a raise. I spoke to my line manager and I told him to retain me that I want more money or I will leave. We're now in talks with the owner of the company on how to retain me via a raise since he does not want to lose me. The "problem" is not women, or the law in most western countries, it's actually how we socialise women. Although, like I said... closing the "wage gap" is more a case of finding women willing to sacrifice their entire lives to their careers like a few mad men would. Wage gap truly is bullshit but the equality law won't hurt anyone . Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Benji 20,113 Posted January 5, 2018 Share Posted January 5, 2018 1 minute ago, Economy said: I think thats only part of it. Women do sometimes get payed less for same work due to discrimination and thats not fair. The potential issue im seeing thi is that this will force equal pay even if a female worker making less had nothing to do with her gender Unless a company is unionized they tend to negotiate wage with each worker individually and better workers tend to be able to negotiate for more pay more easily.1 so if men dont even make the same ase eachother how do you determine what equal pay for women is? Also in jobs where they cant perform equally it makes hiring them less desirable with equal pay tho this is a small percentage of jobs If someone is paid less because of their gender, sexuality or race that should already be against the law. I assume Iceland already has this kind of law? Yeah, you raise a really important issue. I work f*cking hard, work extra time when required and I'm always only a phone call away for my boss... why should someone be paid the same as me if they're not putting in the same level of effort as me? I'm not saying pay him or her less, I'm saying pay me more! Just now, Fiona Apple said: Wage gap truly is bullshit but the equality law won't hurt anyone . I think general equality laws (which I assume Iceland has already) are better than demanding wages to be set the same for everyone. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Featured Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.